Thread: Matt Stone and conflicting theories about the Paleo WOE page

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member

Matt Stone and conflicting theories about the Paleo WOE

Shop Now
    12 Paleo Myths: Eat Better Than a Caveman by Matt Stone (eBook) - Lulu

Paleo Fail – 180 Degree Health

Paleo Myths – 180 Degree Health

Did anyone read any of his stuff ?
    I'm very interested in knowing what are his arguments, as I do suffer from most of the problems he helps people to cure (hypothyroidism/hypopituitarism, messed up circadian rhythm...etc)
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

http://www.180degreehealth.com/uploads/eBooks/Rrarf.pdf

Found this, Choco would like it I think.
    I don't know but in my situation, trying it for 2 weeks won't kill me...
    I've been good before my crash on high carb diet, so why not giving it a try with whole paleo foods.

The "Paleo Fail" and "Paleo Myths" phrases are just to "shock" people in order to get them to read, the sources of food he advocates to eat is pure paleo, just not low carb paleo. Well, in the book at least, since then he talked about pizza, ice cream and junk food to raise metabolism... Haha
    Last edited by Daydreamer; 11-09-2012 at 06:47 AM.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Have not read the book in the first link but I did find it funny that he says "people eat a boring diet of mostly meat and vegetables" HUH?!?

In the second link he associates Paleo with low carb which it can be but it is not. He then makes the classic screw up of confusing avoiding carbs rather than avoiding grains....face/palm.

Paleo can be low carb for weight loss but there are plenty of good sources of carbs so chow down.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

I agree with your Dirlot. The "boring diet" label is absolutely stupid, my diet is anything but boring tbh. I find eating lower carb higher starch to bore me MUCH quicker.

But the .pdf I've linked isn't that stupid.

I'm not VLC but I'm moderate carbs, but I'm low carbs for people like him. I eat like 90-100 g of carbs from vegetables.

I'll give a try of higher carb lower fat (still around 80 to 100 g of fats, hormones are precious haha) for a week or two and see what it does.
    Natural food sources won't kill me.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Took a quick look at the pdf, from what I gather he is against processed food which is good. My objection is the way he insists paleo is a low carb/ very low carb way of eating.
    He seems to be anti-processed and if you can tolerate other foods eat them whether they are primal or not.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    There are plenty legitimate critiques of paleo, but Matt Stone is not the guy to look to.
    The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Ok Chaohinon, are you familiar with his blog or anything ?
    I'm very curious.
    Still I will try a higher carb paleo approach for the next two weeks, I like to experiment things. If it could help my energy levels, circadian clock and everything, it would be a shame to never discover if I could beneficiate from it tbh.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I have looked at his blog and talked about this fella from time to time. What I find distressing (and why I don't trust a word he says) is that he burns a lot of bridges with well known and well respected people just to get more traffic. I'm just not a fan of negative advertising and fear tactics. He has built himself up as the "anti-paleo" to cash in on a market niche that consists of people that either had trouble implementing low carb paleo or just didn't like the concept from the start. All in all I don't think 2 weeks of anything dietary wise is going to do irrevocable damage (assuming a semi-healthy state to start), but I would definitely read his stuff with a grain (or maybe a bucket) of salt.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I couldn't care less what Matt Stone or anybody has to say that is negative about the paleo diet. Over a year of primal/paleo and I feel better and better all the time. I will never go back to how I felt before. I'm a totally different person on the inside as well as on the outside. I don't want to be who I was before. That person was sad, scared, tired and crazy. A windy day might set me off and by the end of the day I'll have been reprimanded at my job for having an outburst and within a year or 5 I'd be looking for a new job. That lady is GONE and I don't want her back.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 192.5lbs, press 75lbs and deadlift 210lbs

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That's great sbhikes, I'm glad you feel that way.
    I had a huge improvement from paleo woe at first, but, well, I'm afraid it's all due to my fucked up hormonal state and yet to be adressed problems in my HRT.
    But I want to experiment things
    Haha I don't have a semi healthy state at all Neckhammer, I have a very poor health right now but... I want to know if I'm one of the people that beneficiate for a higher carb approach.
    Won't do what he advocates in his book, it's just a recipe for fat gain, just around 80g to 100g of good fats (mostly saturated), slightly leaner meat most of the time and good primal carbs like yams.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast