Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Husband's Blood Work Came Back Negative page

seashells is offline Senior Member

Husband's Blood Work Came Back Negative

Shop Now
    Not negative as in no blood, but very high triglycerides (I think he said 340) and high LDL. I don't know what his HDL number is. He's already on medication for high blood pressure and the doctor, after getting these cholesterol results, wants to put him on statins. I confess, when he texted this to me, I cried and stressed that I really, really, REALLY don't want him on statins and that we were going to change his diet first.

He's always been very thin and only in the last six years he's been putting on weight- getting a pot belly, even. I'd make the occasional comment but didn't want to nag him. He likes his carbs and is very upset that he hasn't been having any sugar, grains, beans or beer in the last week. I've been making his lunches and dinners and he loves them, has been praising my cooking to an almost embarassing degree on facebook :P. He also has a little red wine, maybe a glass or two every other day and once this week he had some dark chocolate. He almost wept with gratitude.

He says his pants don't feel different but I swear after a week, his gut does look a little diminished. This morning he told me he's really hungry, more hungry this past week than he's ever been. I'm encouraging him to eat more, as long as it's the 'legal' stuff, and that I would make sure there are more convenient things in the fridge, hard-boiled eggs, for example. Avocados? What other convenient fillers? He loves cobb salad and ranch dressing and I found a dressing recipe on the net I'm going to try tonight.

I sound like I'm writing in my diary.

Anyway, he wants a banana in the morning- do you guys think that's okay? I know some fruit is good and it's not like he's trying to lose weight (not really, just make the pot go down, he's still quite slim) but do you think the sugar in bananas will be too inflammatory? But I also think he's hungry because his body is all freaked out because for the first time ever it's not using simple carbs for fuel. Which is weird, because he's also the kind of person who naturally IFs, eats only once or twice a day. Now it seems he wants to eat more.

Also, he's walking on the treadmill for about 15-20 minutes every morning, which is unheard of!

In the end, I'm scared. I've always been extremely healthy and have never worried about trying different diets and experimenting on myself. But now I've got a loved one who's counting on me to give him what he needs. He's not interested in reading the book, he knows intellectually that this is the right thing for him. This isn't just about the banana. I will probably ask some pretty dumb questions over the next few weeks that I wouldn't think of asking if it was just for me. How fascist would you be if it was your spouse?

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    I'd have the banana in the evening, for dessert. Sugars in the morning leave me hungry all day long.

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    Fry it in coconut oil for dessert. Sprinkle a bit of cinnamon, and it's delicious.

Honestly, if YOU restrict his diet too much, then you will always be the bad guy and he WILL rebel against it. What's his stance on the whole issue?
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

IMO, hold off on the statins, get him re-tested after going Primal for a bit. DW and I both saw a drastic drop in trigs, but we also kicked off Primal by going VLC during the weekdays for several months. Put it this way, he's better off eating the way he is now than before, right? So a banana may slow his progress but won't reverse it. I'd suggest something lower in sugars like a handful of berries, to really knock those trigs down, but if he really wants the banana it's not a dealbreaker.

I like the suggestions, thanks, and he loves cinnamon.

He's actually very passive about it. I've been eating this way for about a year and he sees how well I'm doing and as I've said, he understands intellectually how it works. He's pretty much letting me have my way with him, which is why I'm kind of in a tizzy about it. I just want to do everything right, make sure he's not hungry and that he enjoys his food.

I've lurked enough and I'm old enough to know that you really can't make someone change, but in this case I really can. He's as pliable as wet clay and knows that I'm that concerned about him and he's grateful for it. I want him to feel good and happy for it too.

His follow up blood work is in January. There has to be a change for the better by then or he might just give in and go on the statins.

Thanks Finnegan's Wake- I forgot he loves blueberries! Will definitely keep those stocked.

If he sticks to it, he will see a difference. Exercise is also a factor, since depleting glycogen stores will help avoid converting any carbs he does eat into trigs. I was a lazy bum, and just some light jogging with Primal got my trigs down to 70, DW under 50.

Wow! I am SO happy to read that and I'm happy for you!

newberrycrater is offline Senior Member
    Please stress to him that he is in transition right now and things will get easier. Acknowledge that this is a hard time right now and that he's doing great. I'd like to suggest a probiotic supplement as his intestinal flora is going to be in turmoil, yeast die off from that vast reduction in carbs. This is a good time for good bacteria to gain a stronghold which will make him feel better.

newberrycrater is offline Senior Member
    Oh, and buy small bananas. Psychologically he can enjoy a whole banana, but physically he won't be taking in as many carbs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast