Thread: Popped ears and dizziness, any ideas? page

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member

Popped ears and dizziness, any ideas?

Primal Fuel
    I've been on the blueprint for 2 months now and have been following the movements quite well, but I've noticed something strange in the last couple of weeks. When I work out really hard doing the 4 major movements I find that my ear will pop around the end of my workout, usually before I finish. The issue is that it's only one ear, and it ends up making me a little dizzy and lightheaded, at which point I sit down and try to shake it off, but it usually takes a while for it to wear off.
    Any thoughts on what's causing this?
    Any ideas to put an end to it?

Thanks

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like when your ear pops, the pressure then becomes unequal in your ear. When that happens, it affects your balance as your inner ear is where the mechanism for balance lies, and it will make you dizzy (I have done this to myself before when I had a cold and blew my nose really hard). So the question then is, what exactly are you doing that is making it pop and making the pressure uneven?

Are you holding your breath while doing the exercises? You may be doing this and not even realize it.

I am definitely holding my breath, specifically for pushups. I actually started doing that because upon reading the PB, Mark said that he can sometimes get more reps in by holding his breath. It might have been a blog, but I think it was in the book.
    Anyhow, I suppose I'll try to keep breathing during my sets next time and see what happens. Thanks

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, that sounds like what's going on. I would breathe in while going down, and breathe out quickly while pushing up. That's what I do anyway when I'm doing mine.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Any hearing loss?

Not really, maybe a tiny bit of muffling during, but it always goes away pretty quickly, and it's not very severe.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    It's usually blood pressure. What is your average blood pressure?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Not sure, I haven't checked it in a while. Would I need to take a few more breaks in my workout to get my blood pressure down before doing push-ups and the like? I can't imagine it would be too high though, I"m 22, and primal for 2 months.