Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Managing low BP with Primal eating? page

PHaselow is offline Senior Member

Managing low BP with Primal eating?

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

I need some help.

I naturally have low BP. Have had pressure readings my entire life that hovered around 90/60 without noticeable symptoms.

Recently, I've felt kind of "floaty" with very occasional vision fluctuations. I have not fainted, nor have I felt close to fainting. Just an accompanying uneasy feeling.

Last week I was at MD office for an unrelated problem (uterine prolapse just diagnosed; I'm 47) and my BP was 96/45 but I felt pretty good. A bit anxious but I chalked it up to stress from waiting to find out what was wrong with me. Yesterday, I was at the MD and my pressure was 80/45. HR 52. Weight normal. I felt unsteady, but not like I was about to faint. Again, being at the MD can make me anxious (I don't like doctors despite being raised by one and married to one). I do have a cold. It was 10:30AM and I had been IF since 7PM with only a few bites of chicken breast.

I need to raise this BP now that I am feeling symptomatic. What I've read, dietary-wise, is to eat fruit with Vitamin C at each meal and to add B vitamins. I've virtually eliminated all fruit since August but was not a huge fruit eater prior to going Primal. I've started taking some Celtic Sea salt today (just ate a pinch of it). I drink coffee in the AM but it is decaf. I've been drinking decaf for several years now. I exercise almost daily (well, not for the past 30 days due to medical problem but I'm back to long walks and short runs).

Any suggestions? I'm trying to avoid a trip for an evaluation to rule out underlying conditions for low BP, but my best thought is that my naturally low BP just can't handle these swings in pressure. I have been practicing IF for about the past 30+ days; typically not eating between 7PM-11AM.

I appreciate any insight or experience. What I'd love to do is check my pressure various times of the day, but that is a pain without a home device.

~Pam

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Meghanner is offline Senior Member
    I also have low BP. Last night it was 90/48 p.46 The best thing to do from my experience is to keep well hydrated. I drink 4L of water/fluids per day and notice a big difference when I don't. When the pressure is low, you have to keep the volume up I'd also recommend skipping IF. It can contribute to the swings.

Quote Originally Posted by Meghanner View Post
    I also have low BP. Last night it was 90/48 p.46 The best thing to do from my experience is to keep well hydrated. I drink 4L of water/fluids per day and notice a big difference when I don't. When the pressure is low, you have to keep the volume up I'd also recommend skipping IF. It can contribute to the swings.

Thank you. I am going to stop the IF. I agree it might be the culprit. I typically drink a lot of fluid, but I will increase.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    If you're eating primal/paleo, up your salt intake too. The sodium/potassium ratio in your body has a lot to do with holding and releasing water and blood pressure. Without processed foods, we have to add a fair amount to our diets.

Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    If you're eating primal/paleo, up your salt intake too. The sodium/potassium ratio in your body has a lot to do with holding and releasing water and blood pressure. Without processed foods, we have to add a fair amount to our diets.
    I really do need to pay attention to this. I have cut out all processed foods, and really only cheat with chocolate or white rice made with coconut milk. I don't cook with a lot of salt, either. I've added quite a bit of salt today to my food. I had another 'floaty/anxious' episode this morning about an hour after eating. I was with a bunch of people, and just put my head down to my shoes and pretended to mess with an itch on my foot to avoid blabbing on about it during coffee talk. I've always blamed these episodes on hormone fluctuations, and I so wish I could check my BP at those moments.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, electrolytes. My BP fell like crazy when I first did this. I had to add salt for a long time, but then (after about six months) my body figured it out! My BP was actually a bit high, so I cut back and now BP is normal. I no longer need to take in crazy amounts of salt. YMMV.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Yeah, electrolytes. My BP fell like crazy when I first did this. I had to add salt for a long time, but then (after about six months) my body figured it out! My BP was actually a bit high, so I cut back and now BP is normal. I no longer need to take in crazy amounts of salt. YMMV.
    Thanks. Hearing someone else's experience is perfect. I don't have much of a leeway to work with, so any lowering of BP is bound to cause problems.

How much salt? I'm using celtic sea salt and pink sea salt. So far today I've probably used 1/4 teaspoon. I'm a 120ish lb 47 yr old lady. Well, most would not call me a 'lady', but you know what I mean.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

unchatenfrance is offline Senior Member
    Another one with low BP here. I do IF on and off and don't find that it affects my blood pressure, but I do drink coffee (two cups a day, not decaf), which does increase hypertension. I am also prone to anxiety attacks (especially at the doctor's office!) and fainting when I'm sick, so my strategy is to keep myself as healthy as possible to avoid colds and blood tests. :-) My suggestions, as others have said, would be to forego the IF and add some salt.

the huge downer for me is that I over eat when I feel this way. The anxiety is what gets me and the comfort foods make it better. I just raided the kids' halloween candy. Really raided it.

I have fairly good control (I'm not heavy), but I go through spurts of crappy eating. Major crappy eating today! I feel ill.

I hope to run today to raise the pressure and work off the sugar. Ick

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    Next time you go see your Dr, you should get your BP measured lying down vs. standing up. It will help determine whether your hypotension is pathological or normal for your body.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast