Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Managing low BP with Primal eating? page 2

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by EyeOfRound View Post
    Next time you go see your Dr, you should get your BP measured lying down vs. standing up. It will help determine whether your hypotension is pathological or normal for your body.
    My primary care doc said I'd be sent to a cardiologist for a tilt table test if it persists. I'm really hoping the salt helps. I might even add some caffeine to my decaf again. Also doing the fasting glucose on Monday. I'm getting a cholesterol panel run that morning, too. I'm curious to see how it has changed since going primal in July. I'd love to bump up my total cholesterol; it has always been low. I seem to be low on everything.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I've had BP that was on the lowish end of normal for most of my life. When I started eating paleo/primal, it dropped signifiantly lower (to 90/60 or lower) to the point it started causing problems like lightheadedness and dizzyness when standing up and bending down, and my fatigue also got significantly worse, which I think is connected with the lower BP. So, I began my epic quest to understand how to raise my BP, and here is what I've learned/experimented with:

1) Salt rarely increases BP, so you could try adding more salt to your diet, but likely this won't make a difference. On a similar note, being dehydrated will probably cause BP to go lower, and drinking more liquids will raise BP a little, but this is a temporary fix (unless you are chronically dehydrated).

2) Having a little too much/not enough blood can cause higher/lower BP. My husband was told by his doctor that he has 1/2 a liter too much blood, which is why his BP tends to be on the higher end of normal. From what I've read, this is not a factor that can be changed.

3) Vasodilation (when blood vessels become bigger) causes lower BP, and vasorestriction (when blood vessels shrink) causes higher BP. If BP is too low, it's better to focus on reducing/eliminations things that cause vasodilation (such as alcohol) and try to increase things that cause vasorestriction. This will likely provide temporary relief as blood vessels are constantly expanding or restricting depending on many factors.

4) Licorice can raise BP. Not the fake anise-flavored candy that's called 'licorice', but actual licorice, which is hard, black, and shiny, and does not contain any other ingredients. I was able to find this very easily in Italy, but in the U.S. I've only seen it available on Amazon, and it's pretty expensive. Alternatively, you could buy licorice root, and boil it for 20 minutes to make a tea, and consume that a few times a day. I took licorice daily over the summer, and there was a good increase in my BP (up to 110/70, on average) after a few weeks.

5) HISTAMINE INTOLERANCE. One of the major symptoms of this is low blood pressure. Other symptoms include digestive upset (like diarrhea, constipation, and general IBS-type symptoms, fatigue, and headaches after consuming wine, beer, or other fermented foods and drinks. I'm suspicious that this is ultimately the cause of my low BP, because when I went paleo, I dramatically increased my intake of histamine containing/releasing foods and drinks (like kombucha and ferments and certain veggies and cured meats).
    Last edited by BestBetter; 11-10-2012 at 01:00 PM.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I try to drink kombucha regularly. Are you sure it lowers BP? That would be cool, since overall mine likes to ride high.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    I try to drink kombucha regularly. Are you sure it lowers BP? That would be cool, since overall mine likes to ride high.
    I don't think that kombucha lowers BP, but consuming things that either contain histamines, or triggers the body to release its own histamines tends to cause low BP in someone who has a histamine intolerance (which means they don't produce enough of the enzyme that breaks down histamine). So, as far as I understand, it doesn't just lower BP in people who don't have this problem.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Adding salt to my diet has really helped. I add sea salt to my eggs in the morning and veggies at dinner. I never used to salt anything. But removing bread from your diet likely removed a lot of sodium.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I've found that eating more salt and magnesium, drinking more caffeinated coffee, getting my mercury amalgam fillings replaced with ceramic fillings and cutting down on histamine-promoting and high-histamine foods have all helped bring my low blood pressure up to a normal level.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I've found that eating more salt and magnesium, drinking more caffeinated coffee, getting my mercury amalgam fillings replaced with ceramic fillings and cutting down on histamine-promoting and high-histamine foods have all helped bring my low blood pressure up to a normal level.
    Yay! I was hoping you'd pop in and mention histamine intolerance - you certainly have way more experience with it than I do!

Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    Yay! I was hoping you'd pop in and mention histamine intolerance - you certainly have way more experience with it than I do!
    Well, in that case, thanks for mentioning it :-) Much appreciated.

I seem to be coping much better with histamine intolerance - am eating a lot more smoked fish, prawns and hard cheese.

I love reading your posts btw.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

I seem to be coping much better with histamine intolerance - am eating a lot more smoked fish, prawns and hard cheese.
    That's awesome! Both because I'm glad for you AND it gives me hope that if it is my issue, there is the possibility for improvement.

I have a question - do you know histamine intolerance can be a problem for people who don't have low BP, or is that a necessary symptom?

I love reading your posts btw.
    Thanks!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thank you.

Interesting question. I don't believe that histamine intolerance necessarily implies low BP, tho it does tend to lower BP. In my case it is one contributing cause. I have histamine intolerance primarily tho joint' hypermobility syndrome.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast