Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First changes made in diet; suggestions page

GreenGranted is offline Junior Member

First changes made in diet; suggestions

Shop Now
    Hey everyone!

Let me explain my situation very quick: 19 years old, male. I used to eat WAY too much carbohydrates: 10 slices of whole grain bread a day, and then something like potatoes or pasta in the evening. My exercise regime turned out to be healthy my whole life. I cycle to college each day, an hour a day. I cycle or walk virtually every distance to friends. I take on average two long strolls (1 hour +) per week. I exercise vigorously once per three days, mostly with bodyweight.

I think I'm near incremental gains in my exercise regime. My diet, VERY not so.

I substituted the following after reading the first half of the primal blueprint:
    I now eat 3 eggs (sometimes with bacon) instead of bread in the morning.
    I now take 100 g of nuts to college, along with 4 slices of bread. I reduced my bread intake from 10 slices to 4. I still eat potatoes or rice or pasta + vegetables + meat in the evening. I can't really change that, because I still live at home.

I have a couple of questions: my college day is busy and I often don't have a long enough break to eat a proper meal; slices of bread with meat on them are ideal for 15 minute breaks. I also don't like paying for food, when I can bring it with me from home. Eating a warm meal at the canteen is expensive in the long run. What food can I bring with me to college, that doesn't consist of grains?

Dairy: I eat lots of it to supply myself with protein, for muscle gain. 4 glasses of milk and 250 ml of quarck each day. Sometimes I eat bread with cheese. What is the 'primal' stance on dairy? What can I replace it with to supply protein?

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Best thing to take for lunch is leftovers from dinner.

Nothing wrong with dairy for primal.

However, bread is definitely not primal and it's good that you have reduced it. Bananas are portable, may do as a substitute source of carbs.
    Last edited by Annieh; 11-09-2012 at 12:42 AM.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Dairy is ok for primal unless you've got an intolerance. Some people find they don't lose as fast on dairy. Ymvv. Stop eating bread.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Meat and cheese roll-ups, just skip the bread. Bag of raw veggies - baby carrots, snap peas, broccoli florets

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    cans of sardines and hard boiled eggs. they can last all day without refrigeration, take a beating in a back pack, need no preparation (well, immediate preparation...gotta cook the eggs at some point), and they taste great. perfect primal-on-the-go foods.

GreenGranted is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the tips guys! I also have the primal blueprint cookbook, I will look into the lunch section for anything portable. One more question: how many eggs a day is OK? I now eat three each morning, but I'm reluctant to eat more, but that's probably my conditioning. Is eating, say, 6 eggs a day bad?

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGranted View Post
    Thanks for the tips guys! I also have the primal blueprint cookbook, I will look into the lunch section for anything portable. One more question: how many eggs a day is OK? I now eat three each morning, but I'm reluctant to eat more, but that's probably my conditioning. Is eating, say, 6 eggs a day bad?
    It depends on the context of the rest of your diet, your goals etc. Not anything bad with 6 eggs a day, but if trying to lose weight, you may throw out some of the yolks perhaps...

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenGranted View Post
    i lost weight eating six eggs at a single meal every day. have at 'em.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    You may even lose weight on 20 eggs per day, but then there will be little space for other foods, just saying...

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorbag View Post
    It depends on the context of the rest of your diet, your goals etc. Not anything bad with 6 eggs a day, but if trying to lose weight, you may throw out some of the yolks perhaps...
    All the crap that he's been eating, and you tell him to throw out egg yolks?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast