Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: My Neurologist pushed veganism, and scoffed at me. =( page 3

BeatlesFan is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. According to CW we should all be dead. Animals eat other animals. It's so freaking obvious that it blows my mind how people cant see this.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Get a new neurologist pronto. I'm sorry, but anyone who thinks we "evolved" to eat plant matter only is a bit of a goofball.
    To be fair, it *was* true for us up until about 4 million years ago. But yeah, large brain = meat eating is pretty much accepted by paleo-anthropologists.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

PoeticPixe is offline Member
    Thanks a ton for the support and suggestions, everyone. I truly appreciate it. You would think that my apparent health and well-being would be proof enough for my neurologist. I am currently researching a new neurologist. @ BestBetter's ...I know The Swank Diet works for some, I plan to "up" my plant matter, but I don't think I'll change much else. Mostly because I've seen such success, doing it my way. The key seems to be doing what works for you. @ geostump, thanks for the link. =)
    Sleep is the best meditation.
    - H.H. 14th Dalai Lama

PoeticPixe is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    My philosophy on autoimmune disorders, like MS, is that they are the body's attempt to tell us that we need to make some changes, because something we are doing is hurting us. The tricky part is to figure out what needs to change.

We all have the power to heal ourselves, and it's becoming increasingly more important that we accept this responsibility rather than blindly follow doctors who have demonstrated that they can't cure us.
    I totally agree with all of this! It's just a matter of finding the culprit(s), and fixing it.
    Sleep is the best meditation.
    - H.H. 14th Dalai Lama

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    You probably have already seen this site, but just in case you haven't, it's worth checking out. It's a blog by a woman with MS who is using a higher fat paleo diet to treat her MS, and has successfully put it in remission. I found it to be very reassuring when I was deciding to make the switch from lower sat fat to higher.

nutrisclerosis.com > Home

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by PoeticPixe View Post
    I plan to "up" my plant matter, but I don't think I'll change much else. Mostly because I've seen such success, doing it my way. The key seems to be doing what works for you.
    Just a side note...I know that Terry Wahls really pushes the 9 plates of veggies and fruits (that's an exaggeration, but I remember it being a lot), and when I first saw her TED talk video about a year ago, I was really into eating a tons of veggies, and was also not eating any grains or starches or sugars (except for fruit).

However, I discovered that eating that way was NOT what my body needed to thrive. In fact, it actually caused me a bunch of health problems...the increased levels of insoluble fiber from all those veggies contributed greatly to my IBS flaring out of control, and the low carb thing sent my hypothyroid symptoms (including fatigue) through the roof.

When I cut out most of those veggies and significantly increased my good carbs, I saw significant improvements. I'm now eating more in line with The Perfect Health Diet (something worth checking out, if you haven't already; they have a lot of great articles on their site), with some Ray Peat tweaks (I don't agree with all his guidelines, but he has written some fascinating out of the box stuff; a ton of interesting articles on his website.)

Not saying this to detract from the Terry Wahls recommendations, but if at some point you notice that you're having health issues, don't be afraid to re-examine some dietary things.

Some links, in case you're interested:

Hypothyroidism | Perfect Health Diet

Multiple sclerosis, protein, fats, and progesterone

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123