Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to halt weight loss page 2

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    It's not how much or how little you weigh - how do you look? Feel? Are you adding muscle in your weight class?

Part of your perception could be that today's "normal" is actually overweight.

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    My enviable problem right now is that I cannot seem to stop losing weight. ??
    Try not to overthink stuff, as said above this is not rocket science. What about some more food?
    Make yourself a nice large cup of hot chocholate made of whole milk, 50 gram of dark chocholate and 2 tablespoon of butter! Start with one cup per day after your last meal of the day. If still losing weight add another cup etc. Just one way to do it, there are countless others...

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HillsideGina View Post
    It's not how much or how little you weigh - how do you look? Feel? Are you adding muscle in your weight class?

I think this is an excellent point. Both DH and I found that as soon as our weights dropped from the over weight range into the normal weight range, a lot of people thought we were too skinny. The normal weight range for my height covers 35 lbs. No way am I "too skinny" when I'm 35lbs over being technically under weight.

As long as you feel good and you're eating as much as you want to, I wouldn't stress over a few kilos.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanderlust View Post
    For the most part if you're eating until you're full and have plenty of energy, your body will stabilize at some point. That being said I just use my carb intake to control my body weight. More carbs=more weight [be it fat or muscle].

Of course you could just eat, sleep and workout until your heart is content and call it good, whatever the scale might say.
    Agreed. I know some can lose weight eating plenty of carbs or not, but mine correlates very well with carb intake. Wanna gain weight? Increase the carb load. Wanna lose? Decrease it. Just my own experience.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    5'4" and 59 kilos? That is about 130lbs. For me, at 5'3", that weight is a bit heavy and I would have to overeat to get there. Perhaps your body just wants to be thinner now that you are feeding it appropriately.

If I eat primal and eat when I am hungry I hover at around 54.4 kg. I am 47

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    A big thankyou to everyone for your comments.

Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I suggest adding more sweet potato and white potato. As you say, it's a nice problem to have!
    Thanks, I do eat these for dinner, but I now have the idea to do save a baked potato and stuff it for lunch. It's hard to find alternatives to bread.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndChance View Post
    Hey, I'm in the same boat as you, but I don't see it as a problem. Either eat more or let the pounds keep dropping--your body wants to keep shedding weight, who are you to tell it "no, you were supposed to stop 2 kg ago?"
    I'm glad it doesn't worry you, and yes those are my options. It's amazing to realise how MUCH food I actually seem to need now.

Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Weight loss pretty much halts for me up around 75-85% fat, regardless of calories. And I am plenty full on fat. That is what my tracking has shown me.
    Thanks, I am working on adding in cream etc now. It's great, because one of the things I really like about primal is not getting the sugar shakes and cravings and I don't want to risk them coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by HillsideGina View Post

Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    I think this is an excellent point. Both DH and I found that as soon as our weights dropped from the over weight range into the normal weight range, a lot of people thought we were too skinny. The normal weight range for my height covers 35 lbs. No way am I "too skinny" when I'm 35lbs over being technically under weight.

As long as you feel good and you're eating as much as you want to, I wouldn't stress over a few kilos.
    Thankyou both. You make a good point. I had not thought much about this in respect of myself but I notice it with children ALL the time, to me just about all today's kids are "chubby" at the very least. Any that are not seem skinny by comparison, but I think kids are meant to look light and be able to run and jump around.

I have definitely grown stronger in my weights class and also my figure has grown so much trimmer that to other people perhaps I do look skinny, but I really am not.

However I certainly do not want to look gaunt, especially in the face, as that's the part of me that shows, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Agreed. I know some can lose weight eating plenty of carbs or not, but mine correlates very well with carb intake. Wanna gain weight? Increase the carb load. Wanna lose? Decrease it. Just my own experience.
    Yes, I easily lost weight by cutting carbs. It's nice to eat them again, but I don't want to overdo it and bring back the cravings.

Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    5'4" and 59 kilos? That is about 130lbs. For me, at 5'3", that weight is a bit heavy and I would have to overeat to get there. Perhaps your body just wants to be thinner now that you are feeding it appropriately.

If I eat primal and eat when I am hungry I hover at around 54.4 kg. I am 47
    Thanks for this comparison, you are similar in height to me. Do you work out too? I do not have a light build, and I seem to easily develop muscle, so my weight does seem reasonably high. I think I would be way too skinny at 55-56kg. So perhaps 57 would be the absolute lowest I would allow it slip to.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Annieh View Post
    Thanks for this comparison, you are similar in height to me. Do you work out too? I do not have a light build, and I seem to easily develop muscle, so my weight does seem reasonably high. I think I would be way too skinny at 55-56kg. So perhaps 57 would be the absolute lowest I would allow it slip to.
    It isn't always good to compare, but I thought I'd share. I am very slight on top and not so much on the bottom; true pear shape. I do exercise about 4 days/week with classes that combine short bursts of cardio with weights and I run 1-2x/week on my own. I have had some medical problems that have sidelined me for the past 30 days, but I'm back to some activity. 115-120 lbs is where my body likes to be. I do not pack on the muscle but my tone is good. I think the difference for us is likely my upper body which is very sinewy and lean compared to my lower half. My hips are quite narrow but my legs are, well, short and powerful and my rear end is substantial.

Adding a lot of fat to my diet curbs my appetite. I agree with increasing carbs by eating sweet potatoes or white potatoes. Load 'em up and enjoy it! I make white rice with a can of coconut milk in place of some of the water. That is awesome! For now, the white rice is my treat about twice a month.

In no way am I saying you need to get down to my weight! I guess I wanted to reassure you that it isn't too skinny (I am far from too skinny). As long as you are eating enough to make up for your activity level, your body will find a comfortable weight for itself. I think that is what we all strive for. It might take some adjustment for you to see your smaller self. If you have energy, good health, good sleep patterns and glowing skin you are doing something right!

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    I am in a similar boat. I said at 5'2" and 54 yrs. I was happy at 123lbs, but I am now 113lbs. That next 10 just vanished. Admittedly, part of my problem is my nervousness of going too far the other way. I am liking how skinny I am I am just trying to experiment by just adding a little more starchy carb. but I am the point of getting too thin.

Annieh is offline Senior Member

Karyn is offline Junior Member
    If you have a small frame 59 kg is not too low. I am also 5'4 and I was told that weighing 52 kg is the lowest I should get. Your body will find the weight it wants to be I wouldn't try to over think it at this point. But if is bothering you try adding more carbs like others have suggested. Just experiment and find what works for you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast