Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: OMG it all makes sense! Primal Journal. page 2

Edcat is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Slowly slowly the ol' switcheroo is happening in our house. The kids are thrilled with their new cereal, a gluten free muesli with seeds and quinoa and coconut flakes. The bread is all wheat free now and will start experimenting with baking for their school lunches. Figure if I get them now rather I may be able to set them up positively for the future.
    I was driving past a local high school the other day and it really hit me how many of the teenagers were over weight. Majority of boys had spare tyres and some obese young ladies. When I was at school you had one maybe two over weight kids. What's going on? It has to be through our grain and carb use and the combined mixture of carbs along with fats.
    Popped on my yoga pants today, and they were loose! Can't believe it, I may yet end up being svelte like my adored yoga teacher.
    Excited at my shrinking tummy but have noticed a not so welcome side effect. My belly button is going to look like a wrinkly slit. My last pregnancy was very large and I got two stretch marks around me belly button the day before I went into labour. Wrinkly belly button or not I can't wait to see a mega flat tummy with some six pack definition!

Roast lamb tonight with roast veges cooked in dripping, just like when I was wee one.

SW 75'ish kg oct 18 '12
    CW 71.3 kg

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Edcat, you are doing so well, especially bringing the family along with you. Great stuff.

I know what you mean about our young people, scary isn't it? I am slimmer now than most teenagers (not my own, but they are actually too slender, I can't wait to get them home again over summer and feed them up primally. I think I half starved them during their childhoods. Number three is still at home and she is much stronger looking than they were at the same age - she gets to eat FAT).

Thank you Annieh! My son is loving his full fat milk. He said to me the other day how the milk tastes sooo nice and creamy. Margarine and everything labeled low fat has been banned from this house. My dairy shelf looks hilarious, lard, butter, rendered duck fat. My afternoon snack yesterday was cream in a bowl with lsa and cinnamon, cracks me up, and I'm lovin' it!

lol I know what you mean. My lunch was soft serve icecream for goodness sake! (Frozen berries, half a banana and cream, blended to consistency of icecream).

When my teenage dd saw my pantry she exclaimed there's nothing left. Well sure, no bread, biscuits, bars, flour, sugar, beans etc. But plenty of fruit, veg, spices, nuts. Depends what you're looking for, I guess.

I went to a gathering yesterday at a pub and had a great time catching up with mates. But the biggest thing was that my husband and I ordered lunch and very easily ate our primal food and ignored the fries. And they were gorgeous looking fries. Hand cut and beer battered. But I looked at them coated in wheat flour and cooked in some horrible oil and realised they would be poison to my body. Hubby and I laughed later as we had both thought the same thing. Could we be becoming purists??!!

I have promised him not to go on a crusade and spout out to everyone about how bad their way of eating is. And I wouldn't. But had an interesting conversation on friday with a Mum in my son's class. She is very over weight and was complaining how she now has bristly hair growing under her chin. She is only 38. She was thinking PCOS. She said she has tried so hard at dieting and exercise but the result were so minimal compared to the effort she was putting in.

Casually I mentioned Primal and how it works. She seemed genuinely interested so I directed her to this website and she also wanted me to jot down some meal plans in an ordinary week for her. So I'll pass that on to her today. I said to her to just give it ago for one month and see how she feels then. Be interesting how she goes.

My pants continue to get looser. Last week I lost some more grams and another cm of my waist. The down side is my bra cups are starting to look a lot less full. But I refuse to buy anything new yet, I'll wait till the new year. Even though it has been over four weeks I notice I still get the odd day of carb flu. I might feel a bit sluggish or have a sore lumbar area. Then the next day I wake up and I'm rearing to go with that wonderful energy. My husband has been getting a sore back on and off to, he is three weeks into being Primal.

Planned the xmas menu and it looks like it will be ham, roast pork, lobster and prawn. With salads and bbq's veges.
    I'll make the kids a trifle (with no sherry of course!).

I smile at your story, I have had so many similar experiences - gone right off the fried food, eager to share primal with people who need it, looser pants, and sadly having to buy a smaller bra. Oh well, I guess one can't have everything.

Yummy for your Christmas menu. I haven't started mine yet, I usually have a meeting with my sister and mother poring over magazines etc, it's a lot of fun.

Weigh thursdays and this morning was surprised to see the scale had gone up to 71.3. Now I know this is only a 200g gain and could just be some fluid my body has decided to hang onto and it was hot yesterday. The thing I find difficult is that my measurements have gone down. My waist is smaller by 1 cm and so are my thunder thighs. How can I gain weight and loose cm's?

I wont panic I'll just keep going and see what next weeks weigh in is. I had a terrible day yesterday with a bout of carb flu that came out of the blue. I'm 5 weeks in and presume I will still have the odd day when my body misbehaves. I felt light headed and hung over. Not my usual clarity and energy. Today though I'm back to my normal energy filled self.

Another thing I have noticed is that for the majority of the day I am very calm, more centred. When I do the school run and while waiting for the Munchkins I find I stand with the Mum's and just listen. I don't feel the need to waffle and make conversation when I don't have any. I also find I have more patience with my children. Don't get me wrong there are days when I still scream at them (they're 5 & 6, and listening isn't their strong trait yet) but I feel I am coping more, more tolerant.

I am really trying to live in the 'now', I know such a bandied about term, but I really believe in it. It is so hard to sometimes pull your thoughts back from the past especially if it's a negative incident. If I find myself thinking about something negative I tell myself to stop and take some deep breaths and focus on the present. I refuse to worry about 'what if's' in the future. Life is meant to be lived not fretted about.

Meals are generally twice a day with maybe some nuts to snack on or a wee cup of cream. Am going to only drink this saturday night and see how that effects my weight loss.

You most certainly can gain weight while losing inches, especially if you are exercising eg lifting weights.

Your body composition changes to have more muscle (which is heavy but dense), but less fat (which takes up more space than the same weight of muscle, therefore making you look bigger).

Keep it up, because as you build more muscle you will also require more fuel so (unless you eat more) your own body will start to burn the fat to feed the muscle (there may be a better way of putting it but that's as I understand it). Then you will get even more slim.

Great news about your calm moods. Crazy that we never realised our tense moods were food related!

Siobhan is offline Senior Member
    Great to hear of your success! I have experienced much the same and smiled when I read your list of changes that have happened since going primal.

You might try making bread with tapioca flour - it makes a very tasty bread, especially with cheese if you do dairy. Just google 'tapioca cheese bread,' there are many different versions, all of them easy. One advantage is that tapioca flour is relatively inexpensive compared to other things like almond flour.
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread53052.html

"Freedom from fear" could be said to sum up the whole philosophy of human rights. - Dag Hammarskjold

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Edcat View Post
    I went to a gathering yesterday at a pub and had a great time catching up with mates. But the biggest thing was that my husband and I ordered lunch and very easily ate our primal food and ignored the fries. And they were gorgeous looking fries. Hand cut and beer battered. But I looked at them coated in wheat flour and cooked in some horrible oil and realised they would be poison to my body. Hubby and I laughed later as we had both thought the same thing. Could we be becoming purists??!!

I have promised him not to go on a crusade and spout out to everyone about how bad their way of eating is. And I wouldn't. But had an interesting conversation on friday with a Mum in my son's class. She is very over weight and was complaining how she now has bristly hair growing under her chin. She is only 38. She was thinking PCOS. She said she has tried so hard at dieting and exercise but the result were so minimal compared to the effort she was putting in.

Casually I mentioned Primal and how it works. She seemed genuinely interested so I directed her to this website and she also wanted me to jot down some meal plans in an ordinary week for her. So I'll pass that on to her today. I said to her to just give it ago for one month and see how she feels then. Be interesting how she goes.

My pants continue to get looser. Last week I lost some more grams and another cm of my waist. The down side is my bra cups are starting to look a lot less full. But I refuse to buy anything new yet, I'll wait till the new year. Even though it has been over four weeks I notice I still get the odd day of carb flu. I might feel a bit sluggish or have a sore lumbar area. Then the next day I wake up and I'm rearing to go with that wonderful energy. My husband has been getting a sore back on and off to, he is three weeks into being Primal.

Planned the xmas menu and it looks like it will be ham, roast pork, lobster and prawn. With salads and bbq's veges.
    I'll make the kids a trifle (with no sherry of course!).
    sherry in he trifle helps the kids sleep.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast