Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: can you improve running endurance without "chronic cardio"?? page 2

Wanderlust is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Wanderlust has wisdom.
    Mostly just experience, learned the painful way =)
    "Go For Broke"
    Fat Kine-230/24% @ 6'2"
    Small Kine-168/9%
    Now- 200/8%
    Goal- 210/6%

ssn679doc is offline Senior Member
    But aren't the "best" "leasons" usually the most painful ones? They certainly the ones you rember the longest!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 215 x 3

Neely is offline Member
    There's also a Jeff Galloway running plan here that someone recommended to me as I am also new to running.

Jeff Galloway's 5k Training & 10k Training Programs for all levels including beginners

excursivey is offline Senior Member
    Not scientific but I think people who say they hate to run or can't do it usually just can't get over the hump of getting to a regular breathing pattern. They start out way too fast and the heart starts pumping and they are sucking in air like crazy and it just feels uncomfortable. If you start out SLOWLY enough and alternate walking and jogging you get to know how it feels and when it happens that your breathing and heart rate kinda level out and then you can just coast along. I guess I would call it the warm up period? I know that sounds ridiculously basic but... Just throwing it out there.
    Breathe. Move forward.

I just eat what I want...

breetbree is offline Senior Member
    i always do start out slowly and go to a jog just above walking speed, after maybe a mile or so, i start breathing heavier and my ankles start killing! i know it's kind of a dumb thing to post, and i should just run, but i was just looking for some starter tips because i absolutely hate being one of the people who has to fall out of formation on the company run. thanks guys!

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breetbree View Post
    i usually do 1-2 ten minute sprint sessions each week, and a lot of walking, but i can not run far at all. my national guard recruiter told me to start out slowly jogging a half mile, 3 times per week to start with and build my way up to 3/4 miles and so on. i'm going to have to do so much running in my future, so does it matter if i start doing it right now??
    Does it hurt? Do you run out of breath? What is making you stop?

I agree: just go running. Walk 5 minutes; run 2 minutes until it feels good. Walk 5 minutes; run 5 minutes until it feels good. And so on. At some point you are going to feel like you are pushing yourself. I guess I wonder if you just stop running when it feels like you are pushing...

And make sure you have decent shoes. I enjoy running so much more once I went with minimalist shoes. Ditched the orthodics and now my knee pain is also minimal. I don't like running in FiveFingers for some reason, but I do like Vibram technology. My favorites thus far are Merrell Dash Glove (women's)

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

breetbree is offline Senior Member
    PHaselow, it's a little bit of both. some times it's because i get out of breath and other are from my ankles hurting really bad. i don't know if something's wrong with me or what, my feet for some reason naturally point outward instead of straight and i don't know if that's what's causing my ankle pain or not.

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Breath with your steps. Left right left right:in in out out. Always change on your left stride. Once ur good enough u can go from in in out out in in out out to iiiinnnn ooouutt iiiinnn ooouutt

Make sense?

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Ah, the hurting ankles. That can happen to me. I don't know if it is tightness or bad shoes or my scoliosis or what.

I did find that changing from running shoes or cross training shoes to minimalist technology shoes really helped the ankle thing.

Do you have a dedicated running shoe store near you? Even if you aren't going to buy new shoes, have them analyze your gait on the treadmill. You might be surprised at what they tell you. Some places actually have running classes to teach you how not to do things like heel strike (my nemesis).

Not all of us are gifted or natural runners. Some need to be taught. I definitely benefited from help.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast