Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chris Masterjohn on Cholesterol page 3

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    I have been Primal over a year, I eat fish, grass fed meat, vegetables, I cook with butter, coconut oil and lard. I eat a three egg cheese omelette every morning with 2 pieces of bacon. I don't have per-primal numbers but my recent test had
    TC 172.9
    Tri 57
    HDL 78
    LDL 83 Framingham
    LDL 66 Iranian
    Low Tri High HDL, my numbers are good even by CW standards and my TC/HDL-C = 2.2

If you are worried get tested.
    There is so much confusing/conflicting info out there I don't know if I should be worried or not. Sifting through everything, I tend to believe Chris Masterjohn has the best theory. Unfortunately, there is not much we can do to increase LDL receptor activity. We can up regulate thyroid with supplements which may help some people. We can take statins which do increase receptor activity but have bad side effects. We can reduce oxidative stress with lifestyle changes. We can eat healthy foods which contain broad-based anti-oxidants like grass fed organ meats and eggs. I am not going to waste my money on a standard lipid panel because I do not believe the cholesterol numbers mean much of anything. Also, I agree with Masterjohn that LDL particle count and particle size tests are not sufficiently developed/standardized and it is not clear that either measurement adds much predictive value. I do believe high blood sugar is a major source of oxidative stress and I have eliminated that problem by going to a VLC, medium protein diet. Before I made the diet changes, I would guess my BG shot up above 200 after my carb heavy breakfast and stayed around 200 pretty much all day long. I now never let my 1 hour postprandials exceed 135-140. My weight is ideal and I have a vigorous exercise program. I am doing everything I can do except take statins which I am not going to do. My goal is to die healthy.
    Last edited by Artbuc; 11-12-2012 at 02:07 AM.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    Right, so for the corner cases of people on 'extreme' diets, I don't think that the science is definitive with regards to discordant LDL-C and LDL-P. Peter Attia definitely thinks that LDL-P is the cause, but I am still agnostic. Given the underlying mechanism (small particles passing through the arterial wall that would normally not be able to fit between the gaps if they are normally sized, or large and puffy) I think that it's premature to write off small LDL particle size as being a factor in CVD.

And LDL particle size is definitely something we know we can influence, by decreasing our Trig/HDL ratio.

I wasn't writing particle size off as useless. Just pointing out it isn't as set in stone as some people have made it out to be. Some people (not referring to you) tend to pick and choose when it comes to what they believe is the most important parts of lipid panels if it fits their diet bias. I've even heard large particle size being referred to as "non anthropogenic" which just isn't correct.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123