Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideas for replacing sprints? page

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member

Ideas for replacing sprints?

Primal Fuel
    So due to injury sprints of the actual running varity are out.

Can't afford to attend a gym or go swiming

Don't have a working bike that will stand sprints

Any suggestions?
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    First off - love the signature.

Since you're talking injury, I assume jumping is out? If not, burpees are usually recommended around here. Also known as squat thrusts. You could also by-pass the the planking/push-up part and do high tuck-jumps. Start in squat, explode up and lift your knees up as if you were to cannonball into a pool (they do that in England too, right?) as you come back down break your fall by going into a squat again and jump right back up. Repeat 10-15 times for 3 sets or so.

Harder than it sounds.

Grannysmith is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    First off - love the signature.

Since you're talking injury, I assume jumping is out? If not, burpees are usually recommended around here. Also known as squat thrusts. You could also by-pass the the planking/push-up part and do high tuck-jumps. Start in squat, explode up and lift your knees up as if you were to cannonball into a pool (they do that in England too, right?) as you come back down break your fall by going into a squat again and jump right back up. Repeat 10-15 times for 3 sets or so.

Harder than it sounds.
    I've damaged my achelies(sp?) tendon so I would probably be best to wait till I've seen the physio before trying them. You are right though they are far harder than they sound, my local park has a trim-trail with a high pull up bar - I'm planning to try burpees into pull-ups at some point, should prove intense

ETA: we call annonballs 'bombing' and are included on the list of 'no' things at most pools, along with running, heavy petting, diving, shoulder rides or fun
    Last edited by Tribal Rob; 11-08-2012 at 03:32 PM.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    a good sprint workout without using much leg is tough.

i did a quick search, but couldn't find the thing i'm recommending, but can't remember the name of...so i'm hoping someone will help out. there are a couple of cheap sandbags you can make that are great for getting a high heart rate workout in (for some reason, the words tornado or hurricane seem familiar, but i don't know). anyway, it's basically a loose tube of sand that you can swing all around your body.
    there is another that is just a ball, with some weight, with a tail coming off of it. you stand with your back facing a brick wall, and twist so that the ball bounces off the wall on one side of you, then the other, for about 20 seconds. rest. repeat. really high intensity, i just don't remember what it's called.

those are horrible descriptions. somebody help me out.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    It's called a tornado ball. Or, like you said, swinging a sandbag around your head is pretty cool too - plus it develops transverse plane power and stability.

rtw3.jpg

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    It's called a tornado ball. Or, like you said, swinging a sandbag around your head is pretty cool too - plus it develops transverse plane power and stability.
    [/ATTACH]
    tornado ball...yes. that was going to bother me. thanks.

Tee
    Tee is offline Senior Member

Ohh I like the idea of swinging something arround my head, potentialy leathal, makes me look like a nut and I get to keep my feet still. I bet I can find something in the garage to use

Tornado ball sounds like fun, I can just imagine the reaction of the rest of the family if I start bouncing a ball off the side of the house though

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tee View Post
    This...really gives you a workout.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast