Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ideas for replacing sprints? page 2

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    What about grabbing a couple of light dumbbells (5-10lbs), holding them by your shoulders, and doing a squat and on the way up, thrust your arms above your head. Don't know what it's called but this one kills me.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    I could probaly find a couple of bricks somewhere, or a bit of tree, as I have no dumbells, that should work.

I might see if I can pick up something to use as a sledge hammer and get on old tire from a garage and beat the crap out if it, that might work too??? Or maybe something light that can be swung faster would be better than a sledge hammer?

That last sentace made me think of this clip, which I'm posting for a certain member who has this film as her avatar

Last edited by Tribal Rob; 11-09-2012 at 02:45 PM.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

fat belly frog is offline Senior Member
    Use tabata protocol of 20 seconds work 10 seconds rest repeat for 8 rounds rest and go again for however many times you can.

Pick an exercise you can do at high intensity that doesnt aggravate your injury. try pushups, pull ups, KB swings, KB snatches. The sledge hammer works as well. One legged squats, supported pistols, RDL, split Bulgarians on you good leg would work. Do the exercises at a pace you can still hold good form, you might not feel puffed in the first round but will by the 5 th...

Here's an example of a workout I did a few weeks ago that got the heart rate up

Tabatas intervals 20:10 split 5 rounds of the following with 1 min between rounds

A1: jump rope
    A2: sledge hammer swings left
    A3: DH kettle bell swings 25kg bell
    A4: sledge hammer swings right
    A5: DH Kb swings
    A6: KB snatch 16kg bell right arm
    A7: KB snatch left arm
    A8: 25 kg kB goblet squat alternated with Hindu squats every other ground
    "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

PrimalHunter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    burpees are usually recommended around here
    I've been doing sprints but I hate them, partly because I'm using a treadmill since I can't find a hill.

Tried burpees last night and loved them. They fried my abs, and I wasn't expecting that, but fortunately it didn't seem to interfere with squats today.

I wasn't looking for a sprints replacement, but looks like I found one.
    "Don't go in there, General, it's a trap! That's a grain chamber. It makes people like you into people like me."

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    You could make a bulgarian bag...swinging that around your head will get your heart rate up.
    Kettlebell swings?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Waugh is offline Junior Member
    If you are losing your sprints due to injuries. Then you need to eat some more better food, so that you can gain some extra energy. Do some walk and exercise build your muscels. Then use to warm up before running fast and try to increase your stamina.
    Last edited by Waugh; 07-16-2014 at 11:58 AM.

PrimalHunter is offline Senior Member
    How often can burpees be done? The first time I tried them, my abs were sore for nearly a week. But I did them for the second time last night, and I feel fine today. Can I do them every day, or is there a point where they lose their benefit or become counterproductive?
    "Don't go in there, General, it's a trap! That's a grain chamber. It makes people like you into people like me."

Quote Originally Posted by Waugh View Post
    If you are losing your sprints due to injuries. Then you need to eat some more better food, so that you can gain some extra energy. Do some walk and exercise build your muscels. Then use to warm up before running fast and try to increase your stamina.
    I do eat more better good food muchly thanking you. I felled down steps as I was eating very good steak hurt leg baddd.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

Anyway, thanks everyone for the usefull input. Been off excersie apart frow walking due to another winter virus (so that's a weeks of squits, a slight cold for a week straight after, then a bout of vomiting bug, all in 3 weeks)

I've just come back in from doing 2 lots of tabata intervals (I normal just run hell for leather till I have to stop, then repeat once I get my vision back 8 to 10 times)

Did this

Set one:-

1. Star Jump
    2. Burpees (the bastard ones with a push-up)
    3. Step-ups
    4. Push-ups (started as pop ups but the ground was muddy)
    6. Start Jump
    7. Burpees
    8. Incline push ups really fast

Set 2:-

1. Star jumps
    2. Burpees (still the bastard ones)
    3. Jumping up and down steps
    4. Squats with an overhead press of a lump of tree
    5. Start Jumps
    7. Burpees (not the bastard ones and couldn't jump up on last one)
    8. Squats with overhead press of lump of tree (failed on last one)

Absolutly hanging at the end, HR well over 160.

Not as much as an adrenaline rush as actaully sprinting, but probably better for fittness? I think once my bloody tendon is healed I think I may include both actually running sprints and this type circuit thing too.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribal Rob View Post
    I do eat more better good food muchly thanking you. I felled down steps as I was eating very good steak hurt leg baddd.
    Too funny!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12