Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Potato Diet (PPD) page

tatertot is offline Senior Member

Primal Potato Diet (PPD)

Primal Fuel
    Time for a new thread on potatoes for weight loss.
    Last edited by tatertot; 04-11-2013 at 08:27 AM.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Healthy weight loss != mostly water weight loss + muscle catabolism?

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    Good idea, as the other thread has become ridiculously long - and somewhat heated in places.

I think this PPD has already proven itself successful for most people and it's worth taking seriously, so hopefully we can concentrate a bit more on the how and why, rather than "if".

Maybe even some recipes

Tried the PPD twice now, both times lost a couple of pounds (as net loss, despite some mild regaining later). I stick to no more than 3 or 4 days though, as I find it hard to believe there's really enough protein and I'm not getting any fat-soluble vitamins etc. Besides, I now live in Malaysia and this place is very into the whole eating out with the family thing. Others seem happy going 2 weeks so why not?

AC

AlanC is offline Senior Member
    Sakura, water loss is a classic issue with low carb and/or low salt, whereas most people on spuds are not only on high carb by definition but also tend to be a little generous with the salt. Especially by the 3rd day...

Going back to normal eating is probably why most of us find we lose another lb or so after stopping.

AC

Gorbag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    Time for a new thread on potatoes for weight loss.

My personal story is that I wanted to lose 10 pounds. I had been weight stable, eating primally, for several years. I couldn't shake the extra belly flab no matter how hard I tried. I PPD'd for 14 days, most were boiled or baked with just a little salt. No other foods. I drank black coffee and water. My results were a loss of 10 pounds total, and upon resumption of normal eating I lost another 2 pounds in 7 days and have been weight stable for 3 weeks now.
    You lost 10 pounds of FAT in two weeks? If so is the case you must have been in a energy deficit of 2500 kcal per day(!) Yes, it is possible, but most people would have to do a helload of cardio to make that happen.

Any before and after pictures???

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Primal Potato Diet is a misnommer. It could be something like an extended reefed within a primal diet, but it is not aligned with the Primal concept. Primal is about long term, nutritional variety that as non-toxic as possible and high fat content from meats.

That's said, I am quite glad that tubers are gaining more prominence as a food source. The initial concept of Paleo that excluded them did itself a huge disservice.

Good luck with the all-potato diet!

I would say though that initial and ending stats including body fat 7 normal diet/workout regimen will help the rest of us to figure out who benefits from a long-term refeed like that. In the older threads some people had marvelous results, some - no results or gained weight. It would be interesting to see if there is a rhyme or reason to it.

My closest experience was on unsalted boiled potatoes, eggs and ground beef. It was amazingly nourishing and weight loss inducing combination.

Heh, looking at the weather I am tempted. The sleep portion in particular makes me very attracted to all starch diet.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Farfalla is online now Senior Member
    I'm not considering it but I have a question: Would fat (e.g. lard or clarified butter) be allowed in this diet? Potatoes are so much more delicious with fat...

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Farfalla View Post
    I'm not considering it but I have a question: Would fat (e.g. lard or clarified butter) be allowed in this diet? Potatoes are so much more delicious with fat...
    Nope, fat is the enemy during this. Hence why I too can't do this.

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    Primal Potato Diet is a misnommer. It could be something like an extended reefed within a primal diet, but it is not aligned with the Primal concept. Primal is about long term, nutritional variety that as non-toxic as possible and high fat content from meats.

That's said, I am quite glad that tubers are gaining more prominence as a food source. The initial concept of Paleo that excluded them did itself a huge disservice.

Good luck with the all-potato diet!
    I'm glad you wrote this so quickly. It shows that people see 'potato diet' and are drawn into thinking 'fad', 'cabbage soup diet', 'yo-yo diet', 'Vegan' etc... That's not what it's about at all. I would NEVER want someone to eat just potatoes for any length of time greater than 2 weeks. I'm hoping we can define a good time limit for the PPD on this thread. It almost seems that maybe just doing one day a week would provide about 2-3lbs of fat loss a month. Maybe it needs to be something you work your way up to, like try 1 day, then in a couple weeks do 3-4 days.

I absolutely love Mark Sisson. This is about the only diet and exercise site I routinely go to. I usually just read the subscribed blogs I get in my inbox every week or so. Mark recently wrote two that relate well to the PPD:

The Deload Week: What It Is, How to Do it, and Why It Might Help You Get Stronger | Mark's Daily Apple

Fall Foods: Why Seasonal Eating Primes the Body for Fat Burning | Mark's Daily Apple

I rarely did a 'deload week'. I never ate seasonal fall foods. I recently combined these two ideas into a deload week with PPD. Worked fantastic! I don't think PPD is a good thing to do if you are exercising hard, LHT, etc... But during a de-load, when most would find a carb refeed in order is a really good plan.
    Last edited by tatertot; 11-08-2012 at 01:03 PM.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I didn't want to jump into the other threads, since they got surprisingly heated, but I have a quick question:

I'm lean and muscular, have what most people would consider very nice abs, lift very heavy things regularly, and am concerned about losing muscle mass if I do a week of potatoes. It takes me a while to add muscle back on, and I hate if I lose it. However, I'd like to get my abs into "holy freaking crap" territory. Would this do it without dropping muscle? I'm due for a deload week anyway at some point in the next few weeks, so I'm thinking about the potato-deload combo, but I can't get out of my head that I typically eat a pretty huge amount of meat per day.

Definitely interested.

Page 1 of 54 1231151 ... LastLast