Page 9 of 54 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Potato Diet (PPD) page 9

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Haha, I have a pretty good-sized food budget and eat well, but the idea of spending like $15 total for an entire week of food is awfully appealing.
    Same here, totally. I would welcome more scope for discretional spending in other areas.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

maladee is offline Member
    Hi guys me again, I decided to start today, a little back ground on me I am in remission from CFS, and I have candida overgrowth, woke up this am not being able to get off the toilet. I figured, I guess it can not get any worse for me sooo I started with breakfast.
    Breakfast was fried taters in 1Tsp of CO, when I was eating high carb , I would do this recipe where you slice (very thin) the Golden type of taters (the meat is firmer almost buttery when cooked) It would have to be at least 4 of them ,you want a thick stack of taters, You heat the oil put several layers in , get the taters a little brown on the underside, then turn heat supper low, and let them slowly cook do not touch them till done , they come out buttery inside num num. I have to figure out how to do this with russets.

Any way I used 1 Tsp of oil in a non- stick pan for one medium sized tater, I think I will use less from now on, I might go to no oil we shall see, I would like to use some vinegar ,where do you get malted ? I have balsamic vinegar will that work?

I noticed I ate about 330 Calories, if I did that 3 times that is 990 for the day, I am obese but do not want go too low on calories, should I eat more is this dangerous? I do not exercise I have a small weight set, In my younger days I was able to bench press 160 lbs I doubt I can do that at 50 yrs old LOL but I can do small stuff. I might bump it up to 1200 cal how about that?

I was thinking to use this hack to jump start my primal eating ,I do believe in this WOE .Soooo I just realized what I will no longer be eating ,I was cheating with wheat ect....(I weigh 224 duhhh) so no grains , no artificial sweeteners(splenda was my downfall) no dairy , no wine . All added up this might be good, kind of like a weird atkins BOOT CAMP LOL.

I weigh 224 ,I am a size 20 pants, I am 5ft tall and postmenopausal (i am female too lol) I am going to take my measurements not sure where my tape measure is, I hope it is ok if I post my progress on this thread.I will move to another one if you all think I should?

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    It's an interesting concept but doesn't really seem to be within the scope of this forum or the Primal Blueprint. Whether it's primal, whether it works, etc could be up for debate, but what's not up for debate is that this is not a sustainable lifestyle. Nobody here is going to eat nothing but potatoes for the rest of their life. It goes against the lessons taught here in the sense of making a lifestyle change, not having some quick & easy weight loss methods. I'd highly advise anyone new here to read the Primal Blueprint and try and make a real, sustainable lifestyle change rather than entertain a quick, temporary fix in this potato diet idea. Not trying to be a troll here, but read a lot of newbies coming in thinking this is their solution, and felt there needed to be some perspective.
    -Chuck

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maladee View Post
    ... I hope it is ok if I post my progress on this thread.I will move to another one if you all think I should?
    No this is the perfect thread.

You may find some benefits to doing this now. It seems you've hit a tipping point in realizing you need to give up processed foods completely and stick to a more natural selection of food. Please read all of Mark Sisson's free stuff on this site and buy a book or two--they are gold!

Where I think this potato diet may help you is to teach you about eating only when hungry. Many come to Primal Blueprint as lifelong grazers and emotional eaters. Those are two things you need to get over quick. By giving yourself a goal of eating only potatoes, you take all the other foods out of the equation for a short time. You have to give yourself permission to break the diet, anything other than a spud is a no-no.

Don't look at this potato diet as your magic bullet, please. It is highly deficient in important vitamins and minerals. Far btter to try it for 5 days max first time out, then get on a good Primal Journey. In a year, once you are leaner and smarter, but still have some fat to lose, try it again. There are way better long-term hacks to good health and weightloss than the potato diet.

I'd love to here your thoughts and results from your experiment. Good luck!

To Impala454, this is not a lifelong diet plan, just a short term hack to mobilize some body fat.

Kilian is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I think it's important to clarify that this is indeed a "body hack" of sorts, and not a diet to be maintained for any great length of time. While potatoes are a great vegetable to include in any diet, they shouldn't be the only thing you eat, obviously.

However, given that a lot of people here are interested in health, nutrition, exercise, physiology, kinesiology, etc., I think sharing this 'hack' with the forum is definitely merited. I love experimenting with stuff like this...my body is my temple and just like the ultra-marathoner pushes their body through its paces, I too enjoy pushing mine, albeit in different ways.

Kilian is offline Senior Member
    Also, after 3 days I am down exactly 5 pounds. Borderline anorexic now. Hopefully I can gain it all back on this refeed day.

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilian View Post
    Yeah, I think it's important to clarify that this is indeed a "body hack" of sorts, and not a diet to be maintained for any great length of time. While potatoes are a great vegetable to include in any diet, they shouldn't be the only thing you eat, obviously.
    And maybe it merits saying again, i definitely consider this a "Primal" thing to do for these reasons:

- Potatoes are PB Approved Are Potatoes Paleo? | Mark's Daily Apple
    - Our ancestors had to subsist on starchy tubers in times when other foods weren't available
    - We are using this as a short-term adjunct to an otherwise sound primal diet
    - The results are fairly predictable and repeatable
    - It's easy and not stressful on the body, no hunger, no worry
    - It may get people past the 'carbs are evil' mindset--which is definitely not Primal

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    Tater I think your points are a little skewed. Mark didn't make any declaration that potatoes are approved for the Primal Blueprint, he just said this:
    Potatoes should be limited, or even outright eliminated, for this (large) subset of the population. For the lean and active, however, I donít think a few red potatoes with dinner are anything to worry about.
    I'm not saying potatoes can't be eaten on the PB, but it hardly constitutes going on a 100% potato diet for any length of time. No more so than a 100% egg diet would be advisable even though they clearly fall under the PB.

I don't care to go looking up history of potatoes but from lots of previous reading I'm not convinced our ancient ancestors subsisted on starchy tubers very often, if at all. Either way I don't see that as any reason to eat anything. The "Primal" part of this site is simply saying we haven't evolved as quickly as agriculture has and therefore it's a good guideline to eat similar to how we did pre-agriculture.

The point about a short-term diet is what I was talking about previously. The whole idea of the Primal Blueprint is changing your lifestyle for good. No short-term gimmicky diets needed. Just follow the PB ideas 80/20 and there you go. If you do PB for the next 15 years, what makes you think choosing some random three days of eating nothing but potatoes is going to make some huge difference in your health and life?
    -Chuck

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    There are things that are within the scope of the PB that are temporary. Fasts longer than the usual IFs of 16-20 hours for example. People have fasted 24, 48, 72, 96 hours, etc. That's a temporary state because if you fast forever, you die.

A 12 oz potato has about 264 calories, and about 54 grams of carbs. So, unless a person is aiming for ketosis, a decent sized potato every day won't hurt and will fill you up pretty well.

I've been eating more potatoes and squash lately (while keeping an eye on calories), and it's all good. No stomach probs, no weight gain, no lethargy. I still pretty much eat one large meal and one small snack late in the day.

So, yes, as an extended lifestyle habit, eating 2.5-3 pounds of potatoes per day should probably be reserved for construction workers in cold climates. But for the average PBer, I think we do limit potatoes just naturally, because even our members who don't shoot for low carb in general still eat way lower carb than the average SAD eater.

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by impala454 View Post
    Tater I think your points are a little skewed. Mark didn't make any declaration that potatoes are approved for the Primal Blueprint, he just said this:

I'm not saying potatoes can't be eaten on the PB, but it hardly constitutes going on a 100% potato diet for any length of time. No more so than a 100% egg diet would be advisable even though they clearly fall under the PB.

I don't care to go looking up history of potatoes but from lots of previous reading I'm not convinced our ancient ancestors subsisted on starchy tubers very often, if at all. Either way I don't see that as any reason to eat anything. The "Primal" part of this site is simply saying we haven't evolved as quickly as agriculture has and therefore it's a good guideline to eat similar to how we did pre-agriculture.

The point about a short-term diet is what I was talking about previously. The whole idea of the Primal Blueprint is changing your lifestyle for good. No short-term gimmicky diets needed. Just follow the PB ideas 80/20 and there you go. If you do PB for the next 15 years, what makes you think choosing some random three days of eating nothing but potatoes is going to make some huge difference in your health and life?
    Well-put and entirely reasonable. Just saying it's only a short- term hack over and over again is a nice propaganda technique, however. Wd.n't you say?

Page 9 of 54 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast