Page 6 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Potato Diet (PPD) page 6

Kilian is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Awesome, thanks for the info. I've been following a Leangains 16/8 style eating regimen for the past 3 years so I plan on doing that with the PPD as well.

So continuing to gain strength via heavy weight training is probably not a feasible goal on the PPD? It seems like a few people here are continuing to train regularly with few to no drawbacks.

ezk
    ezk is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Healthy weight loss != mostly water weight loss + muscle catabolism?
    Uhh, no. water loss is what happen when you go LC.. Potatoes are the ultimate carbs so rather a water gain, no?
    As for the muscle loss.. We don't lose muscles that easy, not with such speed and not when fat is available
    in the body. Easy on fast conclusions, from what I have seen, read and experienced the
    TatersFast is a great stuff.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilian View Post
    Awesome, thanks for the info. I've been following a Leangains 16/8 style eating regimen for the past 3 years so I plan on doing that with the PPD as well.

So continuing to gain strength via heavy weight training is probably not a feasible goal on the PPD? It seems like a few people here are continuing to train regularly with few to no drawbacks.
    Let us know how it goes if you try normal workouts. I'm in your same boat: lean, more or less follow leangains, a little concerned about losing muscle if I do a week of potatoes. I figure I'll start my potato experiment in a week or so and couple it with a deload week, since I need one anyway. Although I might sneak in a tough workout to see how I perform on taters.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Let us know how it goes if you try normal workouts. I'm in your same boat: lean, more or less follow leangains, a little concerned about losing muscle if I do a week of potatoes. I figure I'll start my potato experiment in a week or so and couple it with a deload week, since I need one anyway. Although I might sneak in a tough workout to see how I perform on taters.
    Right on, I'll be sure to post my progress. I don't usually weigh myself but I do track my weightlifting progress religiously, so I'll be able to comment on any strength loss or gain. You might also check out Richard Nikoley's blog over at Free The Animal.com because he's also giving the potato diet a shot with his weightlifting regimen. Actually, it looks like he's not following it very strictly.

In any case, my first potato meal is underway with some salt/pepper and a bit of turmeric. It's been so long since I've had a white potato, these things are delicious. I wonder how long it will take til I get sick of them. Extremely filling though.
    Last edited by Kilian; 11-14-2012 at 02:15 PM.

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilian View Post

In any case, my first potato meal is underway with some salt/pepper and a bit of turmeric. It's been so long since I've had a white potato, these things are delicious. I wonder how long it will take til I get sick of them. Extremely filling though.
    It has been years since I even had potatoes in the house, altho' my occasional forays to town would see me scarf a roast tater or fries at Wendy's. I've just cooked and munched my way though most of a 20-lb bag of taters , with a bit of help from my diabetic hubby who has to exercise restraint. AS expected, my blood sugar rose fast and - surprise! - dropped fast, leaving me well within the recommended limits at the 2 hour mark. In spite of liberal salting with REALSALT, I observed no unusual swelling or brain fog. But then, I ate fully half or more of mine stone cold, some with skins on. I don't have non-stick frying pans, waffle makers or suchlike, and decided the least effort expended would contribute to my sticking it out longer. Cold potatoes w/o salt are disgusting. With salt, I can tolerate them, but then, I've been known to eat some pretty vile things as long as I was convinced they were either 1. good for me or 2. wouldn't harm me. I'm taking it a day at a time, and won't continue in the face of adverse reactions. (Making faces doesn't count! )
    Last edited by Paysan; 11-15-2012 at 07:24 PM.

Bobert is offline Senior Member
    I am curious if this would apply to beans as well. Also I wonder if the use of MCT(coconut oil) would alter the results

I used about a teaspoon of coconut oil in preparing one of my potato meals today. I'm only at 1600 calories for the day and ill probably eat again before bed. I've been adding plenty of spices and eating them with a bit of unsweetened catsup or mustard. Energy is great but I definitely didn't eat enough yesterday and was feeling it this morning. Toughed it out til noon though.

Paysan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
    I am curious if this would apply to beans as well. Also I wonder if the use of MCT(coconut oil) would alter the results
    I would say No to the first, likely not to the 2nd. Beans are well-known for their gassy effects, which right there tells us they are not being digested properly. W/o looking up any references, off the top of my head I suggest lectins are not that great for us.
    MCT fats are mainly digested in the liver, but it's the lack of fats that supposedly damps down the ongoing insulin (blood glucose) reaction that characterises elevated organ-damaging levels. But, as we are all involved here in n=1 experiments, if you want to try, feel free.

Here's some no lectin info - http://www.paleoplan.com/2011/03-30/...s-and-legumes/
    Last edited by Paysan; 11-15-2012 at 07:25 PM.

fat belly frog is offline Senior Member
    Ok Day 10 and end of the Potato and white rice and back on to more traditional primal food.. I reached my limit last night couldnt stomach another cold boiled potato with salt or hot chili sauce. Steak and eggs tasted great

Results Start weight 110.9kgs, weight this morning 105.0 kgs, lowest weight over the 9 days 104.5kgs Noticable leaner all round 1-5-2" off the waist. So 5.9kgs lost (~13lbs)

Anyway let you know in a week or so if any weight has returned. Which it may well do as I am having a beer or two this weekend......
    "Times fun when you are having Flies" Kermit the frog

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ezk View Post
    Uhh, no. water loss is what happen when you go LC.. Potatoes are the ultimate carbs so rather a water gain, no?
    As for the muscle loss.. We don't lose muscles that easy, not with such speed and not when fat is available
    in the body. Easy on fast conclusions, from what I have seen, read and experienced the
    TatersFast is a great stuff.
    != does not mean equals....

I give up trying to reason this water weight loss with you guys because you are NOT PURELY BURNING FAT when you have glycogen stores from potatoes and you won't help to explain why you happen to lose purely fat, when you are clearly at caloric deficits and using up your current stores of glycogen...

Page 6 of 54 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast