Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34351525354 LastLast

Thread: Primal Potato Diet (PPD) page 53

otzi Guest
    Shop Now
    Key Tones - I hope you are wrong about Croak, but THANKS for chiming in! I have never heard of such a thing before.

Croak - What do you think? Let us know.

Key Tones is offline Member
    I hope I'm wrong. I just remember knowing exactly what he meant when Chris Voigt said the docs had to test his kidneys before he embarked on his potato fast.

I don't know what the policy is for posting links, but just google the following words and you will get hits on what I am talking about. The potato hack is not for anyone with kidney problems.

chris voigt potassium kidneys

Also, if you google salt substitutes for kidney disease, you will see that kidney patients are to beware because these contain a lot of potassium. My husband was supposed to avoid salt because of heart problems, so I bought salt substitute. I had no idea it was dangerous because of kidney problems. No one told him until he landed in the hospital - it was the early days of his kidneys going down hill. He had gained over 10 pounds in a few days. His diuretics for his heart problems were kicking his kidneys. Hydroclorathiazide and Zaroxalyn are particularly harsh, but a lot of people are on diuretics for high blood pressure. Also, potassium-sparing diuretics like spironolactone (popular, I believe) or amiloride actually make the body hang onto potassium, so eating an unusually high potassium diet is not a good thing with these drugs. It's called hyperkalemia. There are other causes of hyperkalemia, this is just the one I am familiar with. Other drugs or conditions can do it, I see.

I might be paranoid because of personal experience, but a person is not supposed to gain more than 10 pounds within a few days without going to get it checked out urgently.
    Last edited by Key Tones; 04-08-2013 at 02:33 PM.

otzi Guest
    Maybe it's not as bad as it seems:

The National Institute of Medicine Food and Nutrition Board recommends adults consume 4,700 mg of potassium per day. This means that one potato provides 18 percent of the daily recommended intake, according to the National Potato Council. Increasing your potassium intake and decreasing your sodium intake help to reduce high blood pressure for those who suffer from hypertension -- a medical condition characterized by consistently high blood pressure readings. In addition, consuming adequate levels of potassium can reduce the risk for developing high blood pressure, according to the American Heart Association.

Read more: Potassium In Potatoes | LIVESTRONG.COM
    If this is accurate, Croak probably got just a little under twice the RDA for potassium. It sounds like he was eating about 4 pounds a day (1800g). Potatoes have 421mg/100g of potassium, so he was getting about 7500mg/day. The RDA is 4700mg/day, but unknown quantities of salt.

I agree, no one should gain 10 pounds in a couple days. I hope he sees this and takes action.

421mg/100g

Croak is offline Senior Member
    I fasted all day yesterday, just water and black coffee, and did a soak in a hot (118F) bath, long enough to refresh the water twice and watch all of The Hunger Games (oddly apropos title?) via Netflix on my tablet while soaking (side note, what a waste of great talent that film was). Drank a pint of water after the ghetto sauna.

Was down to 207 this morning, still visibly bloated but not as bad as yesterday. Threw out the remaining cooked potatoes, and had 4 eggs scrambled in a tbsp of CO, 250g of bacon, and three cups of coffee (two with big splashes of heavy cream), breaking a 34 hour fast.

That was indeed tasty, and boy howdy, it didn't take long for that fat to get things going either.

Net result (and half a roll of Charmin later), even after three big cups of coffee, a pint of water with my supplements and a decent sized breakfast, an hour ago I was down to 204. Yes, I lost 9 pounds in 32 hours, after gaining 14 pounds in 120 hours.

So, I think it's a combination of things. Normal glycogen water retention on the 300-odd grams of daily carbs, inflammation from the nightshades, some potassium related hijinks, and a whole helluva lot of undigested potatoes just hanging around (despite my extreme regularity during the hack).

Give me a couple-three days back on my normal WOE and a good supply of Charmin and I expect to be back where I started, hovering around 200.

PPD is not for me, I'll just keep plugging along the "hard way", and who knows, this may still have shaken things up enough to reset my soft plateau.
    Last edited by Croak; 04-08-2013 at 05:23 PM.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Croak View Post
    I fasted all day yesterday, just water and black coffee, and did a soak in a hot (118F) bath, long enough to refresh the water twice and watch all of The Hunger Games (oddly apropos title?) via Netflix on my tablet while soaking (side note, what a waste of great talent that film was). Drank a pint of water after the ghetto sauna.

Was down to 207 this morning, still visibly bloated but not as bad as yesterday. Threw out the remaining cooked potatoes, and had 4 eggs scrambled in a tbsp of CO, 250g of bacon, and three cups of coffee (two with big splashes of heavy cream), breaking a 34 hour fast.

That was indeed tasty, and boy howdy, it didn't take long for that fat to get things going either.

Net result (and half a roll of Charmin later), even after three big cups of coffee, a pint of water with my supplements and a decent sized breakfast, an hour ago I was down to 204. Yes, I lost 9 pounds in 32 hours, after gaining 14 pounds in 120 hours.

So, I think it's a combination of things. Normal glycogen water retention on the 300-odd grams of daily carbs, inflammation from the nightshades, some potassium related hijinks, and a whole helluva lot of undigested potatoes just hanging around (despite my extreme regularity during the hack).

Give me a couple-three days back on my normal WOE and a good supply of Charmin and I expect to be back where I started, hovering around 200.

PPD is not for me, I'll just keep plugging along the "hard way", and who knows, this may still have shaken things up enough to reset my soft plateau.
    GREAT to hear from you! I had visions of a corpse in a potato strewn room with FBI agents swarming over your hard drive and looking for...me!

Sorry to hear about your experience, let us know how things proceed.

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    So I am not ppd'ing, but I came on here to chime in to say that after no potatoes at all for the last year and a half, I had forgotten how satiating they are! Just roasted some with Bacon fat, salt, pepper and thyme. Went great with my ground beef/veggie mix.

Key Tones is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    GREAT to hear from you! I had visions of a corpse in a potato strewn room with FBI agents swarming over your hard drive and looking for...me!

Sorry to hear about your experience, let us know how things proceed.
    I'm relieved too! Thanks for the update, Croak. What an awful experience.

Croak is offline Senior Member
    Wasn't that bad.

Aches much like early stages of a flu that came midway through the process, one sleepless night, and a bit more time in the loo than I'm used to were the worst of it. The creeping scale was disheartening but I knew it was transient, and I knew *I* am in much more control over that number than I thought was possible in the past, meaning I knew I could correct it.

Was actually interesting riding the carb BG spike and inevitable crashes and hunger again after so long away from it. Kinda like me taking a puff on a cigarette after quitting years ago, just to re-confirm just how nasty it really is.

Also noteworthy is that after a HFLC breakfast today, I didn't crash, the "fat adaptation" didn't up and leave me after I cheated on it for a week, and I've made it through the entire day on that meal with no effort (whereas my final fast yesterday was a serious test of willpower, because I was hungry).

The actual eating potatoes part was pleasant enough as a change of pace, and I could easily consume a few Yukons right now if need be.
    Last edited by Croak; 04-08-2013 at 10:37 PM.

LatinLover1 is offline Junior Member
    Hi there, I tried this for 5 days and just when I thought I couldn't stand the thought of another potato....I suddenly lost my hunger and the fat dropped....so it worked, thanks!
    I do have a question. I am looking to incorporate IF into a typical paleo type regimen....something along the lines of the 5/2 IF regimen (5 days calories at maintenance levels, 2 days/week - very low calorie, around 500 cal per day).
    Any thoughts on two days per week of IF on 500+/- calories of the PPD?

Thanks, LL

otzi Guest
    Oh, no! Not the Potato Diet thread!

You should check out these folks: Potato Hack Thread #2 - Low Carb Friends They are doing a thing called JUDDD, which is actually a diet called 'Johnson's Up Day Down Day'. they eat regularly for 5 days and then super-low calories for two days. These folks at LC Friends have turned their Down Days into two days of potatoes and are lovin' it.

There is a really long DD Potato Hack thread but they closed it because it was too long--ha.
    Last edited by otzi; 10-18-2013 at 01:00 PM.

Page 53 of 54 FirstFirst ... 34351525354 LastLast