Page 52 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2425051525354 LastLast

Thread: Primal Potato Diet (PPD) page 52

otzi Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by thatgirljj View Post
    I'm going to pop in here as a pretty irregular poster on MDA. I'm just wrapping up an awful bout of stomach flu and despite Mark's recommendations on what to eat with an upset stomach, I still can't bear the idea of eating much other than starch (aside from a little bone broth and full fat yogurt). The idea of just eating mashed potatoes for several days is really appealing on a gut level right now... both literally and figuratively. Aside from the weight loss implications (not my biggest worry at the moment), does anyone see any problem with giving this a try while in a somewhat depleted state after a week of gastroenteritis?

-jj
    Absolutely not a problem! Add in some milk and eggs when able and you could basically live forever on that alone. I used to eat Saltines when tummy was upset, now it's spuds.

Croak is offline Senior Member
    Stayed away from the scale for a few days, continued on with the clean potato diet (just Red, Russet and Yukons, salt, pepper and a little vinegar), still about 3.5 pounds cooked per day (nuked and boiled).

Sunday is my normal weekly weigh-in day, so I went for it. Started this hack last Tuesday at 201 pounds. Today I'm 213. Last Sunday I was 199. Not happy.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Croak View Post
    Stayed away from the scale for a few days, continued on with the clean potato diet (just Red, Russet and Yukons, salt, pepper and a little vinegar), still about 3.5 pounds cooked per day (nuked and boiled).

Sunday is my normal weekly weigh-in day, so I went for it. Started this hack last Tuesday at 201 pounds. Today I'm 213. Last Sunday I was 199. Not happy.
    I have a feeling you are in for a helluva whoosh when you drop the water you've somehow accumulated. I've never seen anyone gain this much! It has to be all the water you are drinking. At any rate, you've eaten at a big deficit for almost a week. Let us know what happens this week!

Croak is offline Senior Member
    I'm beginning to suspect I have a problem with nightshades and it's inflammation. Various aches and pains I had for years that subsided when I went primal are coming back.

When they went away I just assumed it was due to the weight reduction and better fuel and fitness. But in my pre-primal days, I ate a lot of potato products that I totally eliminated for a year and a half prior to this week, but I also hurt a lot.

As for the deficit, if my math is correct, it's only 200 calories per day, give or take, since my typical LCHF days averaged in the 1600-1800 range counting 16-24 hour fasting periods. I'm getting close to 1400 calories from the 3-4 daily pounds of potatoes (@350calories/pound).

Using the CICO formula (I know, I know), that's what, less than half a pound potential loss for a week?
    Last edited by Croak; 04-07-2013 at 09:44 PM.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    I'm back on potatoes this week. Mon-Fri only potatoes until supper, then a protein and veg supper. Had a 2 lb rebound this weekend with a couple of alcoholic beverages and some accompanying evening snacking.

otzi Guest
    I'm beginning to suspect I have a problem with nightshades and it's inflammation. Various aches and pains I had for years that subsided when I went primal are coming back.

When they went away I just assumed it was due to the weight reduction and better fuel and fitness. But in my pre-primal days, I ate a lot of potato products that I totally eliminated for a year and a half prior to this week, but I also hurt a lot.

As for the deficit, if my math is correct, it's only 200 calories per day, give or take, since my typical LCHF days averaged in the 1600-1800 range counting 16-24 hour fasting periods. I'm getting close to 1400 calories from the 3-4 daily pounds of potatoes (@350calories/pound).

Using the CICO formula (I know, I know), that's what, less than half a pound potential loss for a week?
    One thing I like about doing a couple pure potato days is that you can easily figure 'calories in'. It also shows how inaccurate 'calories in' is for a regular, mixed diet. It's hard enough to find two calorie calculators that give the same calories for a pound of potato, how accurate can they be for something like "1 chicken breast" or "1 pound of meatloaf"?

I found I was grossly underestimating my normal calorie intake, what I thought was 1500, was actually 1800-2400 when you weighed it out and counted everything.

So, Croak - I don't know what to say. You gave it a good shot, maybe it was the nightshade factor, but who knows? Let us know what happens to your weight over the next week or so, please.

Ddraig Goch is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    One thing I like about doing a couple pure potato days is that you can easily figure 'calories in'.
    I wonder if you did pure PPD for 2 weeks & tracked each gram of potato eaten, if you could not determine normal daily TDEE based on potatoes consumed & weight lost/gained (NB: I do not believe all these BMR calculators & have been trying to find a way of confidently calculating my TDEE)

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Ddraig Goch View Post
    I wonder if you did pure PPD for 2 weeks & tracked each gram of potato eaten, if you could not determine normal daily TDEE based on potatoes consumed & weight lost/gained (NB: I do not believe all these BMR calculators & have been trying to find a way of confidently calculating my TDEE)
    I have done it. I ate potatoes for 2 weeks. I bought 50 pounds of potatoes, at the end of two weeks, I had found I had eaten 43 pounds, or an average of 3.04 pounds per day.

I plugged 43 pounds of potato into FitDay and came up with 13,458 calories, or 961 calories per day.

Over that two week period, I lost about 8 pounds. CICO wisdom says to lose 8 pounds of fat would require a deficit of 28000 calories.

If my normal diet was 1800 calories, I was at an 840 calorie per day deficit, or 11,760 cal deficit for the 2 weeks. Hardly enough to lose 8 pounds of fat.

I explain it like this: Errors were probably made on my calorie intake beforehand, so I was probably at a greater deficit than 840 per day, also a bit of lean body mass was also lost since I was not exercising during this period and an all-potato diet is probably not the best at keeping lean body mass high, and I also lost a good bit of water and intestinal matter.

I think an eating exercise like this really shows the flaws in why CICO is not useful in weight loss.

Using the potato diet to estimate TDEE would probably be an exercise in futility. For one, it is very hard to eat at a maintenance level of calories, and all the other factors I mentioned above would skew results. The only way to do it would be long-term, tweaking amount eaten until you are maintaining your weight, but that would be grueling!
    Last edited by otzi; 04-08-2013 at 09:31 AM.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I went off over the weekend, but I am back to tators today. I will see how the day goes. I would like to try for an all tator day. I usually give in at dinner time.

I had some inches go down last week. Can't remember if I mentioned that anywhere. I havent been able to weigh, Wii disk is on strike, but I have another on the way.

I am not really on any certain protocol at the moment, except that I am eating tators during the day. Last week was sort of an every other day tator thing. This week, I don't know yet

One of my daughters is doing it this week again, but she didnt take any measurements or her weight to know if it is doing anything. She said she can't really tell about her clothes either. But at the very least, it is easy and quick and with her crazy schedule, that works well.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Key Tones is offline Member

Croak,

This sounds like a pretty serious situation. Do you have kidney problems? Even if you don't, please estimate the daily potassium you have taken in from the potatoes and call the doctor and tell them it is urgent.

My husband had kidney problems, and high potassium was a serious problem that indicated his kidneys were failing. The doctor said it was an emergency if weight goes up unexpectedly by 10 pounds. They would check his creatinine and administer antidotes. They also said this kind of electrolyte imbalance could stop the heart. You are past that 10 pound mark.

I have read Chris Voight (the 20 potatoes a day site- he is from the Washington Potato Commission) state that his doctor tested his kidneys before going on his all potato fast due to the potential for potassium to cause serious problems if the kidneys are not in shape to clear it.
    Last edited by Key Tones; 04-08-2013 at 12:07 PM.