Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Potato Diet (PPD) page 51

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by shuther View Post
    My cholesterol was perfectly fine although HDL was VERY low before I went Paleo, but now all numbers have jumped, so I'm just in "normal" range now. Don't think anything needs to go higher for sure. I also try to eat or take a ton of fiber if I don't eat enough veg.
    What sort of fiber do you "eat" or "take a ton of", if not food?

shuther is offline Junior Member
    I have a great fiber supplement that is a mix of Psyllium, oat and pectin that provides 17 g fiber a serving. When I was doing VLC I used it to keep things regular, had good results with no bloating or gas. They market it as a weight loss supplement to make you full or something but I just kept it around for when I was trying high protein. Usually I eat 2 cups of spinach in my am shake, a big salad at least once a day, and usually a few more servings of veggies. So have not needed the fiber in quite awhile.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    I've found eating both raw and cooked vegetables keeps me moving. I can't eat oats, and psyllium, er....

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shuther View Post
    scale down from 162.2 to 159.8 this am!! And FBG of 90 which is pretty good for me! Gonna give this another day. I feel great this am and only woke once at midnight (pattern last two nights) but fell right back asleep. Off to shred some golds for hash browns...

Do you worry about the mercury in fish?? I'm having all my fillings removed now to try and detox my body as best I can. That's another reason I never pushed to make myself develop a taste for more fish. I do make my own bone broth and also keep a stock of the Real Broth you can buy now. So I have some almost everyday. I wonder if I ground some liver into beef if the taste would disappear?
    My cholesterol was perfectly fine although HDL was VERY low before I went Paleo, but now all numbers have jumped, so I'm just in "normal" range now. Don't think anything needs to go higher for sure. I also try to eat or take a ton of fiber if I don't eat enough veg.
    Looking good! I've never worried much about toxins in fish, but I do tend to eat sardines mostly since they are at the bottom of the food chain and less likely to get the mercury and stuff bigger fish like tuna and salmon can accumulate.

Croak is offline Senior Member
    Went on a "clean" potato day yesterday: 3.2 pounds (cooked weight) of Yukons, reds and russets yesterday, and cut out the sweet potatoes and chicken stock I'd used on the first two days. The last 0.8 pounds of reds was eaten at 5:00 PM, had the second enormous BM of the day at 9:00 PM. Also drank at least 4 liters of water, coffee and tea throughout the day.

Had no problems getting to sleep at my usual time last night, slept well and got a full 8 hours.

Weight this morning at 9:00 AM? 207 pounds after an epic bladder voiding (fairly clear too). That's six pounds up from my start weight of 201 on Tuesday morning. This is not particularly encouraging.

Worse, it looks like I swallowed a bocce ball and it's stuck in my solar plexus region, so it's clear things aren't moving along as well as they should, despite the extreme and voluminous regularity I've had since starting the potato hack. I'm guessing after a year and a half of no starch my gut flora just isn't up to the task of handling what I've been sending its way in the last few days, and there's a fair amount of water binding with all that new glycogen as well.

Haven't eaten yet today, but there's a half carton of eggs and freezer full of meat calling my name. Any thoughts?

EDIT: I should note I'm not sick of the thought of eating potatoes, the actual eating of them is going just fine, I'm sure I could eat a few right now and enjoy it. I'm just seeing results going the opposite direction than I'd hoped, which is why the meat and eggs are on my mind.
    Last edited by Croak; 04-05-2013 at 11:05 AM.

otzi Guest
    Well, you know it's not 6 pounds of fat, can't be. Impossible. It's just water. I'd say stick with plain potatoes for 2-3 more days if you can handle it. Do you normally drink 4l of water? I rarely even drink 1l, even counting coffee, but drink when you're thirsty for sure.

Croak is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, 3-4 liters has been my daily fluid intake for years.

And yeah, I know it's mostly water weight, but that's running counter to anyone who's had success with the potato hack (I'd read every thread here on it, and every scrap out in the wild internet before starting this).

The abdominal bloat is also suggesting there is some sort of digestive issue over and above the water retention.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Croak View Post
    Yeah, 3-4 liters has been my daily fluid intake for years.

And yeah, I know it's mostly water weight, but that's running counter to anyone who's had success with the potato hack (I'd read every thread here on it, and every scrap out in the wild internet before starting this).

The abdominal bloat is also suggesting there is some sort of digestive issue over and above the water retention.
    Are you using a ton of salt, by chance?

You are right, though, usually the potato diet gets rid of water weight--not causes it. I use quite a bit of salt on my potatoes, probably more in a day of potato eating than a day of regular food, but overall probably about 1tsp or less, just guessing.

otzi Guest
    Did you all see we made the news! Well at least in this blog anyway: Whole Health Source: Glucagon, Dietary Protein, and Low-Carbohydrate Diets

Beyond the metabolic/hormonal effects of low-carbohydrate or high-protein diets, these diets may also be effective because of changes in the reward and palatability value of the diet (and food variety, a related factor). Getting rid of pastries, donuts, soda, fries, and pizza goes a long way, and taking one or more items off the table (e.g. bread) tends to reduce total food intake even if everything else remains the same. The potato-only diet is a good example of this (19, 20). Over on Mark Sisson's forum, a number of people have been repeating Chris Voigt's experiment of eating nothing but potatoes, with similar weight loss results (21). To be clear, I'm not recommending this approach, but it certainly illustrates the power of a monotonous diet. Interestingly, besides being extremely filling per calorie, potatoes are also one of the most insulin-stimulating foods, according to the paper cited above.

thatgirljj is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I'm going to pop in here as a pretty irregular poster on MDA. I'm just wrapping up an awful bout of stomach flu and despite Mark's recommendations on what to eat with an upset stomach, I still can't bear the idea of eating much other than starch (aside from a little bone broth and full fat yogurt). The idea of just eating mashed potatoes for several days is really appealing on a gut level right now... both literally and figuratively. Aside from the weight loss implications (not my biggest worry at the moment), does anyone see any problem with giving this a try while in a somewhat depleted state after a week of gastroenteritis?

-jj

Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast