Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Potato Diet (PPD) page 50

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shuther View Post
    thanks Otzi. I just don't know if I can do this. Just had another P I am SO hungry and feel weak and not great! I was never eating too high protein as I didn't feel well on that I love veggies and tried raw even but way too many nuts!! So I eat as much raw veg as I can with whatever protein my body wants, usually Whey in am, some chicken few times a week beef. About 50-70 g protein. I am hopelessly addicted to Coconut manna as my dessert but it makes my face break out big time...
    oh and when I go lower calorie even by accident (not hungry, etc) my weight starts to creep up instantly. I cannot eat anywhere close to bedtime or I don't sleep and with my weaker adrenals sleep is something i cannot risk to lose now that I am finally getting some. I am a poster child for Matt Stone (don't throw rocks) reasoning. Low carb does NOT agree with me and now even lower calorie 800-1200 makes the scale go up and hair fall out....An occasional pizza party can make it move down again. trying to just listen to my body and relax about these last 30 lbs but honestly I'm impatient...lol. My bloodwork may be better but the system still needs a reset for sure....
    Not sure what to say. Maybe just try to maintain where you are for 3 months without gaining, and once you have mastered that, work on losing some excess this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by Graycat View Post
    Hi guys, I'm not doing an all potato diet. Only having a potato salad (boiled potatoes, chopped onion, balsamic vinegar, salt, a bit of EVOO) or simply a baked potato with my dinner most days. I always eat them after they were chilled in the refrigerator. Taters taste great to me, and I've been steadily losing body fat for the last two weeks or so since I incorporated them regularly into my diet. Yep, it's the satiety element.
    I'm just curious, what type of potatoes do you guys eat? I like the regular Russet variety. Are the red skinned ones that seem less starchy better? Does it matter at all?
    Sorry if you have already discussed it on this thread. I'm bad at reading the monster threads. Thanks and keep on tatering...
    I like the small (golf ball sized) red ones for eating cold (boiled then chilled), I like Yukon Golds for hashbrowns, homefries, and mashed, and I like perfectly shaped, tough-skinned Russetts for baking.

Have you tried making hashbrowns in a waffle-makers yet--amazing!

shuther is offline Junior Member
    yeah i've just been where I am weight wise for five months now....mind you I have a few more cheat days then I was because i can afford to and by the next weekend the weight is back off but it really probably doesn't help the overall picture..lol
    I did just buy more P's at the store, they had red and golds in organic. I had my last P at 4:30 and now my BG is 85 and I feel less shaky/wired/weird.
    boy if anyone has any suggestions on where to send me to read next please let me know!! I'm thinking maybe a little more PHD and keep some protein but cut fat (which I do eat a gd amount of) and see what happens. It's the only thing I haven't tried yet. But if I get through the end of this day ok with the taters I'll try again tomorrow and see how I go. I just work outside on a farm all day and can't afford to feel quite so scattered! I just feel if I can jump the scale a little bit to get it moving again it will then go ok, just have to figure out what the stall is interior chemistry wise....
    Thanks for answering!!!!

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I like the small (golf ball sized) red ones for eating cold (boiled then chilled), I like Yukon Golds for hashbrowns, homefries, and mashed, and I like perfectly shaped, tough-skinned Russetts for baking.

Hmm, I've never owned a waffle maker. I have a sandwich toaster collecting dust in a kitchen cabinet somewhere. I might just have to dig it out soon. Never thought the day would come.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Packing leftover mashed potatoes in a waffle-maker and baking until brown and crispy...

otzi Guest
    yeah i've just been where I am weight wise for five months now....mind you I have a few more cheat days then I was because i can afford to and by the next weekend the weight is back off but it really probably doesn't help the overall picture..lol
    I did just buy more P's at the store, they had red and golds in organic. I had my last P at 4:30 and now my BG is 85 and I feel less shaky/wired/weird.
    boy if anyone has any suggestions on where to send me to read next please let me know!! I'm thinking maybe a little more PHD and keep some protein but cut fat (which I do eat a gd amount of) and see what happens. It's the only thing I haven't tried yet. But if I get through the end of this day ok with the taters I'll try again tomorrow and see how I go. I just work outside on a farm all day and can't afford to feel quite so scattered! I just feel if I can jump the scale a little bit to get it moving again it will then go ok, just have to figure out what the stall is interior chemistry wise....
    Thanks for answering!!!!
    Low carb paleo worked for me for a while, then a year-long stall on the last 10 pounds, feeling cold, hit the wall in the gym... i now include potatoes or rice (mostly potatoes) every day along with whatever meat I eat and feeling great!

Make sure you eat lots of fish, like every day if you can. Sardines are a fine choice if you can't get it any other way. Eat lots of veggies, fruit--but not a ton, and just examine your diet for things you don't really need but pack a lot of calories (almonds, chocolate, cheese). If you can maintain AND feel great, that is a start. If you are maintaining and not feeling great, look at nutrition of your food and make sure you are hitting most nutrients every day, maybe you are stuck in a rut that is excluding a bunch of nutrients, like people that avoid liver and seafood.

maurile is offline Senior Member
    I'm not sure if this will be helpful to anyone, but here it goes. The potato-diet idea seems to come from a few independent lines of thought. One is the experiment that Chris Voigt did. Another is the long, disorganized, tangential discussion on Ray Cronise's blog. Stephan Guyent has also added some insight.

In any case, after I saw the threads here about it, I tried the potato diet myself for one week and lost about 8-9 pounds while feeling very full the whole time. I was trying to eat more than my appetite dictated, but potatoes are extremely filling. Anyway, I later went back to the long and disorganized comments in Ray Cronise's blog, and organized Cronise's statements into a little FAQ. The following is based only on Cronise's statements; it doesn't incorporate any of the modifications or enhancements from the threads here at marksdailyapple, or from Voigt or Guyenet, or from any other source.

Potato-Diet FAQ

What's the basic protocol?

You will lose weight fast by eliminating meat, butter, oils and any sugar from your diet, and sticking to only brown rice and/or potatoes for 14 days. Either white potatoes or sweet potatoes are fine.

You can eat as much as you want, but don't eat just because it's "time." Eat only when you're hungry, and stop eating when you're no longer hungry. Skipping meals is okay.

Drink lots of water. No liquid calories of any kind.

Can I add flavorings?

Yes, but any flavorings should be low in calories and devoid of fat. Salt, pepper, herbs, and spices are fine. (Rosemary and chives go well with potatoes.) Soy sauce, vinegar, and hot sauce are fine.

Doesn't this work merely by creating a calorie deficit?

All diets work by creating a calorie deficit. This one is no different other than complete satiation and paradoxical control of blood sugar with a high-glycemic food.

Let's say your resting metabolism rate is 2200 calories. A 153-gram potato has 110 calories. That means you can eat 20 potatoes a day to break even. That's a lot of freaking potatoes. One cup of cooked rice is 160 calories. That's 13 cups of rice.

Starches are enormously satiating and way more satiating than simple sugars or fats. You might eat 20 potatoes or 13 cups of rice for a day, maybe two or three days, but I'm betting you won't keep it up.

If you eat to satiety, you may end up eating only 3-4 potatoes a day or about the same amount of rice. The result is that you'll feel satiated while running a large calorie deficit.

What's so special about potatoes?

Potatoes are starches with complete protein, vitamin C, and a host of other micronutrients. You're basically flooding the body with glucose, while having just enough protein to remain nitrogen-positive. You're also getting a decent amount of vitamins and minerals while avoiding simple sugars.

A large serving of starch when you are glycogen replete often results in diet-induced thermogenesis. While a reduced-calorie diet will often suppress metabolism (inducing "starvation mode"), the excess of starch on this diet actually ramps up metabolism to burn more calories.

Flooding the body with glucose, in the absence of simple sugars or fat, is a simple trick to rack up a huge calorie deficit while remaining very satiated.

Won't a potato-only diet result in nutrient deficiencies? What about fat-soluble vitamins?

The idea that any nutrient is just days or hours away from being deficient is a myth. Besides, what makes you think metabolizing the fat on your body is any worse than digesting the fat in a salmon or pig?

Can I add non-starchy vegetables, like spinach?

Greens and other non-starchy vegetables are fine, but for purposes of the experiment, why not just eat potatoes? It's simpler and gives you less to worry about.

How about other forms of starch, like beans, peas, or lentils?

Any starch will work, but go for something that has a good amino acid profile. That's why potatoes are ideal.

Why can't I add fat? Potatoes taste a lot better with butter.

Adding fat would defeat the whole purpose of doing this. The point is not to give into cravings — especially for fat. Also, since you are flooding your body with glucose, any fat you consume will not be burned. It will go directly to adipose tissue.

Can this work as a long-term diet strategy?

It's not recommended. Potatoes are somewhat nutrient-dense, but they do not contain every nutrient your body needs. After 14 days, you should transition to a more complete diet.
    Last edited by maurile; 04-04-2013 at 06:11 PM.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by maurile View Post
    I'm not sure if this will be helpful to anyone, but here it goes.
    That was awesome! Took some real digging to get all that from those comments on Ray's blog! I wish he would have stuck with the potato diet a little longer, he seems completely divorced from it now.

thanks again Otzi. Well it's true I do not eat fish cuz I hate it. I'll eat some tuna but that's it, would that be ok? Ate another half a P at 6:45 and added some fresh salsa and couldn't finish it!! I am now totally stuffed feeling and fell much better!! BG only spiked to 122 at 30 mins post now at 1 hr 106! WOw this is so neat I wonder if I used up some insulin or some other hormone cocktail?? I feel totally "normal" now.
    I felt great on what i was eating. I did do raw milk for awhile in my shakes but then cut it out. I think even milk sugar is too much for me so off the dairy again to see what happens. I don't do any nuts any more a la Ray Peat. My favorite meal past few weeks has been a smallish potato cut up with some poultry and either broccoli or greens, butter and some sour cream, maybe a little cheese, bacon. Or last week it was all turkey/potato/guacamole/salsa all mixed together. YUM YUM, felt great and loved every bite. as soon as I added the taters back in my temp went up, cold hands went away, tons more energy, total difference!! Major improvement. So I know I need some starch but trying to figure out if I can handle any sugar even from fruit or dairy and what level of fat. I don't do chocolate because I can't do ANY caffeine. I do take bunch of supps: mag, Vit D, liposomal Glutathionine, B's etc. Am headed to bed now so will see what the am numbers are! Very interesting that i feel so much better now and after each potato my BG spiked lower and lower.

otzi Guest
    thanks again Otzi. Well it's true I do not eat fish cuz I hate it. I'll eat some tuna but that's it, would that be ok? Ate another half a P at 6:45 and added some fresh salsa and couldn't finish it!! I am now totally stuffed feeling and fell much better!! BG only spiked to 122 at 30 mins post now at 1 hr 106! WOw this is so neat I wonder if I used up some insulin or some other hormone cocktail?? I feel totally "normal" now.
    I felt great on what i was eating. I did do raw milk for awhile in my shakes but then cut it out. I think even milk sugar is too much for me so off the dairy again to see what happens. I don't do any nuts any more a la Ray Peat. My favorite meal past few weeks has been a smallish potato cut up with some poultry and either broccoli or greens, butter and some sour cream, maybe a little cheese, bacon. Or last week it was all turkey/potato/guacamole/salsa all mixed together. YUM YUM, felt great and loved every bite. as soon as I added the taters back in my temp went up, cold hands went away, tons more energy, total difference!! Major improvement. So I know I need some starch but trying to figure out if I can handle any sugar even from fruit or dairy and what level of fat. I don't do chocolate because I can't do ANY caffeine. I do take bunch of supps: mag, Vit D, liposomal Glutathionine, B's etc. Am headed to bed now so will see what the am numbers are! Very interesting that i feel so much better now and after each potato my BG spiked lower and lower.
    I know a lot of people rarely eat fish and do fine, but my cholesterol numbers took a huge turn for the better when I started eating lots of fish. I try to get a serving every day. Tuna is fine, sushi is great. Shrimp, oysters, salmon, and sardines are all pretty tasty and easy.

I also try to eat liver, usually chicken, once a week, and make a pot of bone broth every week or two and use when cooking or make soup with. A lot of nutrients are better gotten from foods than supps, but you look like you are going in a good direction with everything.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    scale down from 162.2 to 159.8 this am!! And FBG of 90 which is pretty good for me! Gonna give this another day. I feel great this am and only woke once at midnight (pattern last two nights) but fell right back asleep. Off to shred some golds for hash browns...

Do you worry about the mercury in fish?? I'm having all my fillings removed now to try and detox my body as best I can. That's another reason I never pushed to make myself develop a taste for more fish. I do make my own bone broth and also keep a stock of the Real Broth you can buy now. So I have some almost everyday. I wonder if I ground some liver into beef if the taste would disappear?
    My cholesterol was perfectly fine although HDL was VERY low before I went Paleo, but now all numbers have jumped, so I'm just in "normal" range now. Don't think anything needs to go higher for sure. I also try to eat or take a ton of fiber if I don't eat enough veg.

Page 50 of 54 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 ... LastLast