Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Potato Diet (PPD) page 49

Croak is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    No apnea issues, it wasn't that I had fitful sleep, it's that I was unable to even drift off.

I boiled up 3 pounds of reds the first day and ate them over the course of that day and the next, and I boiled another 3 pounds last night that are ready to go, and there's only a ten minute "lag time" to prep more in the microwave if needed, and I'd killed my snacking tendencies dead some ago. All in all, there's no more real lead time than my normal food Primal food prep.

Last night was better in terms of sleep, I was out sometime after 1:00 AM and slept until 9:00. A little unhappy with the scale this morning though, 203 lbs.

I'd made it a point to only weigh myself weekly early in my PB process, for that very reason, a few pounds of excess water or undigested food can play hell with your morale.

However, I reckon I've got another 8-10 days of potatoes on hand and I'm going to keep on trucking and eat them all.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Croak View Post
    No apnea issues, it wasn't that I had fitful sleep, it's that I was unable to even drift off.

I boiled up 3 pounds of reds the first day and ate them over the course of that day and the next, and I boiled another 3 pounds last night that are ready to go, and there's only a ten minute "lag time" to prep more in the microwave if needed, and I'd killed my snacking tendencies dead some ago. All in all, there's no more real lead time than my normal food Primal food prep.

Last night was better in terms of sleep, I was out sometime after 1:00 AM and slept until 9:00. A little unhappy with the scale this morning though, 203 lbs.

I'd made it a point to only weigh myself weekly early in my PB process, for that very reason, a few pounds of excess water or undigested food can play hell with your morale.

However, I reckon I've got another 8-10 days of potatoes on hand and I'm going to keep on trucking and eat them all.
    Is that how much you are hungry for?

Pretty much, but keep in mind I'm now an "old hand" with IF so my response to feelings of hunger is a lot more muted than it used to be.

Oh, to clarify, it's not 1.5 pounds per day, it's been about 3.5 pounds daily. The boiled reds are in addition to russets, Yukons and a few ounces of sweet potato. I was simply pointing out to Otzi that I was already pre-preparing my taters.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by shuther View Post
    my first post ever here but just found this topic this week and was very interested. Short story: been paleo since August 1 when my bloodwork came back horrible (CRP of 12), have Hashimotos, no adrenals, no hormones except for estrogen which is super high blah blah. SO now CRP is .04, (oh yeah) hormones still in toilet. Lost 40 lbs fast have 30 more to go and the scale has no budged since Nov. My peripheral circulation was horrible and my hair was falling out. Added potato instant warmth cease all symptoms. great but still scale won't move. Like this is my new set point. My BG is "ok" but not as low as I think it should be: FBG anywhere from 90-110, after meals 120 back to 100 well by 2 hrs. fasting insulin was 4.8, A1c 5.1.

On day one PD and my FBG was 96 this am sugar went to 215 after 2 small russets plain at 7am, but back to 102 by 2 hr mark. BG of 78 an hr after that. RAVENOUSLY hungry, feeling very weak, ate another P at 11am, BP went 141 at 30 mins, back to 124 at 1:10 mins , now at almost 2 hrs post 115.
    SO what's up? am I one of the ones who shouldn't do this? I am starving and going to go eat another P or will things calm down in a day or two you think?? I don't think I have very good sugar regulation at all, a sweet potato will spike my sugar even eaten in a meal with protein to 140-165. white potatoes with protein, BG doesn't move.

Any help or advice appreciated!! Just would love to get off this new set point....
    If anything, the potato diet may be exactly what you need! Do you have lots of strips for your BG tester? If so, eat exactly 1 pound of potato and check BG at 15 minute increments from 15 minutes prior til 3 hours after. Record these values and make a little graph, save.

Here are my observations with FBG and the potato diet: My FBG is usually in the 110-120 range, I had accepted this as my 'normal'. When doing the potato hack, my FBG will drop to 80-85 on the second day and stay there til I eat normally again.

This always perplexed me. Recently, I did a potato diet for 5 days. FBG was 85ish most mornings. The day after I quit, I was still eating very low calorie, high carb, for 2 days and my FBG stayed in the 80's. On the 3rd day, I ate more at maintenance levels of calories, but with a huge protein dinner of almost 2 pounds of chicken and chicken livers. Next morning my FBG was 115.

To test this out further, I ate normally for several days, which means a lot of meat--like 1-1/2 pounds per day--for several days, and my FBG stayed around 110-115. Then, I switched to very low protein (under 50g) for a couple days with overall calories low, too (1200). This dropped my FBG back to 85!

So, it seems that the low FBG I see while on the potato diet isn't a function of the carbs/starch at all, it's a function of lowered protein/calories.

I'm thinking I may be overloading myself with protein and my liver is dumping glycogen all night in response. Prior to Primal Blueprint, I had rather severe Fatty Liver Disease. I've heard it said that a fatty liver may never return to it's full functioning state.

I'm playing now with meal size and protein intake to see if I can figure a way to keep my FBG in the 80-90's rather than 110's.

During your 3 hour Potato Tolerance Test, If you see any blood glucose readings that hover above 200-220 for more than 15-30 minutes, it may be cause for concern, but a spike to 200 and then quickly falling is normal.

Let us know what you do!

otzi Guest
    Pretty much, but keep in mind I'm now an "old hand" with IF so my response to feelings of hunger is a lot more muted than it used to be.

Oh, to clarify, it's not 1.5 pounds per day, it's been about 3.5 pounds daily. The boiled reds are in addition to russets, Yukons and a few ounces of sweet potato. I was simply pointing out to Otzi that I was already pre-preparing my taters.
    I find I can easily subsist on approx 3 lbs of potatoes a day for 5-7 days. One big spud at noon, two at 5:30, two more between dinner and bed.

I can't say there is NO hunger, but this hack is about losing weight with a huge calorie deficit and minimal hunger. Try eating 800-1000 calories of salad or bacon a day for a week and you will be ravenous all day long.

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Hey Croak,

Same thing happened to me during the potato hack with regard
    to sleep, or lack there of.

I just wish I would have gotten up and USED the energy I had, instead
    of lying in bed being all pissed off about it. Ha!

I swear, it was like the minute it was my normal bed time and I
    went to lie down, it felt like I snorted a big ol' fat line of coke
    (don'taskmehowiknow) and there was no WAY I was ever going to sleep.

Lasted about three nights for me.

While it was frustrating and maddening at the time, the next day I suffered
    ZERO deleterious effects from my basically zero hours of sleep... which was
    also a little kooky, cuz, usually, when I don't get any sleep, Mama is a real
    live wire BITCH the next day.

WEIRD

Anyway, keep on keeping on!

Julie

Felt a little action about to occur south of the border a few minutes ago, so, just out of a gross curiosity I jumped on the scale before jumping on the loo.

205.2, and that's a couple hours after 1.5 lbs of Yukon golds, two big cups of black coffee and a pint of water with my supplements, and with one bladder voiding in there somewhere.

Mission accomplished, back on the scale. 201.1 lbs. I've been told this often, but today I had proof, I was full of shit. 4 pounds worth.

Feeling better about that 203 pound morning weigh-in now, subtract that 4 pounds of poo and I'm closer to a 1 pound loss than a 3 pound gain after two days.

otzi Guest
    Felt a little action about to occur south of the border...
    Eating nothing but potatoes definitely changes your gut flora and influences intestinal activities. This is a good thing!

shuther is offline Junior Member
    thanks Otzi. I just don't know if I can do this. Just had another P I am SO hungry and feel weak and not great! I was never eating too high protein as I didn't feel well on that I love veggies and tried raw even but way too many nuts!! So I eat as much raw veg as I can with whatever protein my body wants, usually Whey in am, some chicken few times a week beef. About 50-70 g protein. I am hopelessly addicted to Coconut manna as my dessert but it makes my face break out big time...
    oh and when I go lower calorie even by accident (not hungry, etc) my weight starts to creep up instantly. I cannot eat anywhere close to bedtime or I don't sleep and with my weaker adrenals sleep is something i cannot risk to lose now that I am finally getting some. I am a poster child for Matt Stone (don't throw rocks) reasoning. Low carb does NOT agree with me and now even lower calorie 800-1200 makes the scale go up and hair fall out....An occasional pizza party can make it move down again. trying to just listen to my body and relax about these last 30 lbs but honestly I'm impatient...lol. My bloodwork may be better but the system still needs a reset for sure....

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Hi guys, I'm not doing an all potato diet. Only having a potato salad (boiled potatoes, chopped onion, balsamic vinegar, salt, a bit of EVOO) or simply a baked potato with my dinner most days. I always eat them after they were chilled in the refrigerator. Taters taste great to me, and I've been steadily losing body fat for the last two weeks or so since I incorporated them regularly into my diet. Yep, it's the satiety element.
    I'm just curious, what type of potatoes do you guys eat? I like the regular Russet variety. Are the red skinned ones that seem less starchy better? Does it matter at all?
    Sorry if you have already discussed it on this thread. I'm bad at reading the monster threads. Thanks and keep on tatering...

Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast