Page 47 of 54 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Potato Diet (PPD) page 47

pickled herring is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Hey everyone! I've been looking at the success you've all had with the potatoes, and decided to give it a go. Yesterday was a a day of 3 small mashed potato meals which were very filling...plus some scrambled eggs with onions and mushrooms in the evening. I had 2 coffees throughout the day as well. I was pleased to find out this morning that I went from 150.4 to 147.4! I have plateaued for the last 3 weeks or so, and this did the trick! I am now at the lowest weight since starting primal eating about 2 months ago. I plan on doing the same thing for the next two days. Will keep you updated, hopefully it's not all water weight.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by pickled herring View Post
    Hey everyone! I've been looking at the success you've all had with the potatoes, and decided to give it a go. Yesterday was a a day of 3 small mashed potato meals which were very filling...plus some scrambled eggs with onions and mushrooms in the evening. I had 2 coffees throughout the day as well. I was pleased to find out this morning that I went from 150.4 to 147.4! I have plateaued for the last 3 weeks or so, and this did the trick! I am now at the lowest weight since starting primal eating about 2 months ago. I plan on doing the same thing for the next two days. Will keep you updated, hopefully it's not all water weight.
    All last week, I ate no breakfast, 1 big, plain potato for lunch and 2 potatoes for supper, with a handful of nuts one night, a banana another night, and some chicken livers one night. After 5 days of this, I was down 4 pounds.

I have been eating a lot since Jan 1st, PHD style and gained a bit, but mostly muscle as waist didn't increase but max reps did. I went from 168-172 within 3 weeks of starting PHD, then put on 2 more pounds over next 2.5 months. I think the initial jump was increased intestinal matter and glycogen refilling as I went from 50g carbs to 200g carbs/day. If I could drop back to 165, I will be pretty ripped, something that has thus eluded me for quite some years. So my plan is 5 days of mainly taters, weekends normal PB, then another 5 tater days til I hit 165, which should be at the end of next week.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    All last week, I ate no breakfast, 1 big, plain potato for lunch and 2 potatoes for supper, with a handful of nuts one night, a banana another night, and some chicken livers one night. After 5 days of this, I was down 4 pounds.

I have been eating a lot since Jan 1st, PHD style and gained a bit, but mostly muscle as waist didn't increase but max reps did. I went from 168-172 within 3 weeks of starting PHD, then put on 2 more pounds over next 2.5 months. I think the initial jump was increased intestinal matter and glycogen refilling as I went from 50g carbs to 200g carbs/day. If I could drop back to 165, I will be pretty ripped, something that has thus eluded me for quite some years. So my plan is 5 days of mainly taters, weekends normal PB, then another 5 tater days til I hit 165, which should be at the end of next week.
    Dear Dear Otzi. I have really been struggling since the first of the year. I guess you knew that already though.

But pretty much following PHD. I would throw tator days in there, and sometimes tators till dinner, which I like doing that. Then thought my calories were too low so I was then trying to increase my calories. Result is, I did gain. uggghh

Well I decided to take my measurements this morning - my Wii is on strike - so anyways, some places went down, like thighs, bust, and below belly button, while others went up a little, like calves and arms. And I KNOW my arms are not getting fatter, they are looking better - so not sure what that means. But any of these could be off in either direction due to my expertise measuring skills - or lack thereof.

Anyways, no point to this really, except that it helped me to read your experience. This week, most days I did tators, with dinner. So I am hoping I am through my funk now.

I was really really bummed out a few days ago though, to tears... which hasnt EVER happened in the 1.5 years I have been at this. But I really felt like a decrease and I was prepared to see a lower number, but instead I saw an increase & realized that with that gain, I had lost 8lbs in a year of primal! So yes, I lost it. But only briefly. I am okay now. I feel good, I feel strong. I feel like I am making progress though the scale may not have reflected such, but I know that is a piss poor measurement also, but still.

I am really really curious what my weight is now. I need a new Wii fit disk I think, maybe DH will stop by best buy on the way home and I can weigh in the morning.

Ok, so anyways, glad you posted It sounds alot like my experience. This week, DD was doing tator days till dinner also, and she forgot to weigh first. So her professor told her that she can not call herself a scientist anymore since she had nothing to evaluate at the end of the week :P haha Tators till dinner M-F, and then regular on weekends.

So anyways, I have a exercise plan. I have not been consistent in that department. I do not lack for energy doing tators, but I am not hardcore training either. I will do tators till dinner as long as DD is. My other idea is to throw in a complete tator day (as the JUDDD or whatever is interesting - the 500 calorie down day w/up day the next ) and then do a day of more normal PHD so I get my eggs and salmon and liver, etc in there.

Either of those, I won't be thinking about food as much, or thinking about eating in general, and I plan to stay away from researching online as much --- so then I can focus on other things, like my youth ranch. I have spent long enough on my weight, so maybe if I focus on something else, it will just happen. Hopefully.
    Last edited by gopintos; 03-29-2013 at 02:13 PM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

GaryWatson is offline Junior Member
    wow 10 pounds of fat in 2 weeks that simply amazing, but I'm a little better :P around 12 pounds and I worked really hard on it

otzi Guest
    Anything is allowed if it works for you. Some people have used fat to cook and eat with, but it seems the best results come from just potatoes. It's a calorie/satiation game--plain potatoes are very satiating, no fat means less calories. Added fat makes them less satiating with more calories, but, YMMV.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Amber596 View Post
    I'm not considering it but I have a question: Would fat (e.g. lard or clarified butter) be allowed in this diet? Potatoes are so much more delicious with fat...
    I dont remember what all was addressed at the beginning of this thread, it has been awhile since I read it, but I have saved notes from various threads regarding this matter. These are not my words, but words I copied and pasted in regards to adding this or that to the hack:
    The theory is because your body needs fat to manufacture insulin, if you are eating ZERO fat, it has to pull fat out of storage to manufacture insulin. Because white potatoes are so highly insulogenic and create such a massive, high GI response, it needs A LOT of insulin - which requires a significant portion of fat. Since you aren't eating fat along with it, it is forced to go to adipose tissue as a source - and needs quite a bit - to make all that insulin.

So when you start combining potatoes with outside sources of protein and fiber - like egg whites, fish or vegetables - you are destroying the"hack." You are greatly reducing the insulin spike you're supposed to get, which lessens the immediate fat need from your fat cells to manufacture insulin. The whole point is because potatoes are so massively insulinogenic. If you add stuff, it doesn't work. It has to be all potatoes.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

firemart is offline Member
    Questions:

How did the potato plan work for pooping?

This PPD goes against everything I've learned, but I'm curious to try it.

Did it affect your daily functions, such as critical thinking and energy levels and concentration?

Is it sustainable, or is it temporary?

What happens when you go off the taters for good?

How do most of you prepare the taters? Microwave? Roasting? ???

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by firemart View Post
    Questions:

Is it sustainable, or is it temporary?

What happens when you go off the taters for good?

How do most of you prepare the taters? Microwave? Roasting? ???
    I found I was having trouble keeping my 3:00 snack snack-sized on my 19/5 IF. I substituted cold boiled (actually steamed) red potatoes for a couple of weeks. I seasoned them only with salt and vinegar. They were more satiating than other things I had eaten, and I was able to prepare dinner afterwards without snacking on the food as I was fixing it. I'd do this again, but I don't think I'd want to eat nothing but potatoes for more than a day or two. I tend to get low in protein if I'm not eating enough of it.

otzi Guest
    Eating nothing but plain potatoes (boiled, roasted, fried, baked, microwaved) cooked in no oil, will tell you lots about your body and your relationship with hunger.

If you are worried about blood sugar issues, or diabetic/pre-diabetic, buy a blood glucose meter and stop if you see anything unusual, but most people report a big drop in FBG after a few days.

Poop will be normal, energy will be normal, brain will be normal.

The trick is that you will be eating a complete, whole food, with daily calories way below your normal daily intake. Potatoes contain starch, protein, fat, and fiber. They are very satiating and hard to overeat.

This is not a long-term plan, but many find it do-able for 5-14 days, with strenuous exercise limited due to small amount of protein and calories provided.

Many report a loss of 1/2 to 1 pound per day, that seems to be mainly from body fat.

pickled herring is offline Junior Member
    So Easter weekend has come and gone, and I am afraid to weigh in! After last week's great number, I'm sure I have gone up. I know I felt like hell last night after "regular food' for the first time in two months. It is back to the potatoes for today, and maybe a weigh in tomorrow. They are so filling and good, and they really take my mind off of food for hours at a time. Love 'em!

Page 47 of 54 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast