Page 45 of 54 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Potato Diet (PPD) page 45

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Never one to do things by half, I donated blood last night and felt absolutely fine afterwards. I even managed a sort of jog to the shops down the road from the centre before going home.

I also woke up before my alarm today.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Still rocking the potato diet. Monday to Friday with potatoes only until supper, then a moderate primal meal. Weekends full primal choices. Down a total of 8 lbs in the past 2 weeks of this pattern, but that represents about 5 lbs of real weight loss and 3 lbs of post-bad-weekend bloat. I'm seeing numbers I haven't seen in quite a while. Into smaller pants. I'm happy!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    Down a total of 8 lbs in the past 2 weeks of this pattern,

That is fantastic!!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

costahobo is offline Junior Member
    I've read all 45 pages of this thread, so I went on a little experiment yesterday, one that absolutely opened my eyes.

To start, I'm a bigger guy at 6'4", weighing in at 207 lbs. According to all those fancy online calculators, I should eat anywhere from 2200-2700 calories a day to lose weight.

I tried the all-potato diet for one day, and it competely filled me up. I checked calories at the end of the day, and I ate around 1,600 calories for the day. Of course I lost weight.

I thought back to a time in my adult life when I never exercised, and ate out for every single meal. Living in Costa Rica, we have access to what we call "sodas", which is pretty much home-cooked food served in a tiny rented space, or in somebody's garage. A typical meal is a serving of animal protein (whether eggs, chicken, beef, pork or fish), a serving of rice, a serving of beans, a serving of salad, and usually another starchy carb, such as plantains or spaghetti.

I ate that 3x a day, and I was the skinniest I had ever been in my adult life. It was cheap to eat, filled me up, gave me plenty of energy and I had no health issues. So out of curiousity, I filled in the ingredients into MyFitnessPal, and it kicked back that I was eating roughly 1,600 calories per day.

So then I thought back to the months before my wedding. I dropped a significant amount of weight eating a very basic diet. For breakfast, I would have 2-3 scrambled eggs, a serving of beans, and a serving of green beans. For lunch and dinner, I would have the same thing, but I would substitute the eggs for a serving of animal protein, such as chicken, beef or fish. So I plugged those numbers into MyFitnessPal. I was shocked to see that I was eating around 1,600 calories naturally, and I was freaking stuffed.

My point is that I think that we can eat just about anything once we learn what our true calorie counts are in order to lose/maintain/gain weight. For me, all the calculators said to eat from a low of 2200 up to a high of 2700 calories to lose weight, yet looking back when I was my healthiest and skinniest, I was naturally eating between 1600-1800 calories. I'm a very sedentary person (web programmer) so I sit in front of a computer for the majority of the day.

This thread definitely proved to me that I can indeed eat potatoes whenever I want. When I made a big pan of skillet breakfast potatoes, my first thought was something like "omg, these are so delicious - why can't I eat these daily?!".

In summary, this thread showed me something that I should've realized long ago - it's not what you eat, it's how much you eat. I definitively know that I should eat 1600-1800 calories per day from whole unprocessed foods to lose weight. I can't subscribe to the Calories In/Calories Out theory, because while it technically does work, good luck eating your calories to satiety with using fast/junk food.

Living in Costa Rica, I see a lot homeless people, and I notice something very common amongst them - they're all super skinny. Too skinny, in fact. That just further proves to me that it is 100% about the amount of calories that you take in, not what macronutrients those calories consist of.

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    Hey everyone, I'm back to Potatoes this week. This time I'm going to avoid any weight training and focus on swimming, resting, and maybe a little jogging. I also plan on using a few more condiments this week, particularly some organic marinara sauce, it has a little fat, but not enough to throw me off track. Wish me luck!

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by costahobo View Post
    ...To start, I'm a bigger guy at 6'4", weighing in at 207 lbs. According to all those fancy online calculators, I should eat anywhere from 2200-2700 calories a day to lose weight.

I tried the all-potato diet for one day, and it competely filled me up. I checked calories at the end of the day, and I ate around 1,600 calories for the day. Of course I lost weight.

This thread definitely proved to me that I can indeed eat potatoes whenever I want. When I made a big pan of skillet breakfast potatoes, my first thought was something like "omg, these are so delicious - why can't I eat these daily?!".

In summary, this thread showed me something that I should've realized long ago - it's not what you eat, it's how much you eat. I definitively know that I should eat 1600-1800 calories per day from whole unprocessed foods to lose weight. I can't subscribe to the Calories In/Calories Out theory, because while it technically does work, good luck eating your calories to satiety with using fast/junk food.
    There is an anti-paleo movement called ETFF (Eat the F-ing Food). I, too, was restricting food based soley on it's carbohydrate count. The Potato Diet opened my eyes and once the fog cleared, I realized it wasn't the carbs that made me fat, it was things like processed flour, additives, possibly anti-nutrients in some grains, and just plain over-eating.

The calorie calculators tell me I should be eating 2500-2800kcal/day to maintain, but if I go out of my way to count out 2500kcal/day, I end up gaining weight. I think counting calories is a horrible way to maintain weight, it is incredibly hard to accurately count the calories in a food unless that food is extremely pure, ie. 1TBS of coconut oil has 120 calories. Other foods, like say a piece of chicken, have so many variables that unless you could somehow separate all the fat from the meat and know the water content/weight of the lean protein, you can only get an estimation.

Potatoes are a food that you should be able to accurately count the calories in, but there are differences in calorie calculators across the internet. One says there are 1633 calories in 5 pounds of Red Potatoes (Flesh and Skin). Calorie breakdown: 2% fat, 89% carbs, 9% protein. Another calculator shows 2000 calories for 5 lbs of potato.

What I really like about the potato diet, it's almost impossible to eat over a maintenance level of calories, but you get full.

One area I know I make a mistake in sometimes, is eating 'just because'. Just because it's time and just because it's on my plate, or just because it's primal...

Don't look at the Potato Diet as a tool for yo-yo'ing, but use it as a tool to prove to yourself that calories matter more than macronutrient breakdown. Use it to prove to yourself it's not hormones, metabolism, or genes that are preventing you from losing weight.

Big caveat here: Some people DO have problems with hormones, metabolism, or genes and need more advanced tools than eating less! There is a place for low-carb, but it's not a one-size-fits-all approach.

If you try the potato diet, and it works for you, consider adding starchy vegetables to your daily menu. They are a good source of energy, fill you up, and help prevent insulin sensitivity problems.

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Are you guys managing to eat the 20 a day Chris Voigt managed?

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post
    When I did it, I would eat 2-4lbs a day. Usually that was 3-6 potatoes, but I guess 20 if they were really small!

Quote Originally Posted by chronyx View Post
    In Costa Rica, the more prominent type of potato grown are the small white potatoes. I guess you might call them 'new/baby potatoes' elsewhere?

I don't count out 20 of them, I just cook up a big batch of skillet/breakfast potatoes at once they're cooked, i measure out roughly 300 grams, and go to town. I also don't exclusively eat potatoes; I also eat other whole foods with them. But since I love potatoes so much, and I can get a little lazy with cooking, potatoes have been making up the bulk of my diet lately.

To me, I think that it's almost impossible to overeat on whole foods. In fact, when anybody local to me asks me how I lost weight, I simply tell them "the feria diet". In spanish, a "feria" is a farmer's market. Here in Costa Rica, we have them weekly (Saturday morning in my town), and it's cheap, locally-produced food. So, "the feria diet" consists of you being able to eat as much as you want, but the only rule is that you can only buy food that you can buy at the local farmer's market. You can buy produce, meat, chicken, fish, cheese, nuts, eggs, bread, dairy, etc. Nothing processed, nothing commercially packaged, and nothing has a UPC/bar code on it.

When we eat whole, natural foods, there's a certain satiety level that comes along with it. It's just impossible to overeat on whole foods. I personally subscribe to an almost-paleo diet, because it's the one that I feel the healthiest on. I do believe in eating root vegetables and dairy, so I'm not 100% strict paleo (and I also find no problem with the occasional modern treat).

It took me reading this thread to remind me of something that I've been stressing out over the past 2 months. I've been busting my butt eating at 2,200 calories (perfectly weighed and tracked through myfitnesspal), and have been flucutuating in the same weight range for the past 2 months. It's been highly frustrating, and I've been eating a relatively clean diet.

A light bulb definitely went off over my head, and this thread made me realize that I've still been overeating, and because I'm very sedentary, I just have to reduce my calories and restrict myself to whole foods (except for my once a week cheat meal).

2 Thumbs up for this thread!!

Page 45 of 54 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast