Page 41 of 54 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Potato Diet (PPD) page 41

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Dena, trust me, if MY husband of almost 13 years didn't commit *me*, yours
    won't either.

I PROMISE.

All potatoes are fine.

I even did sweet potatoes and those worked out fine for me as well.

Not 100% sweet potatoes, but maybe three times a week I had one.

The different types of potatoes helps in choking them down, but it's always
    the same result: super boring = you don't eat much. But then, for some reason
    you don't HAVE to.

Truly mystifying....

Julie

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Definitely any sort of non-sweet potatoes. Red potatoes are especially good for cooking ahead.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    White potatoes (as opposed to sweet potatoes) seem to be the most effective. Any kind - russets, redskins, Yukon golds, mini potatoes, regular white potatoes - all work OK. Cooked mostly without any added fat. Salt, pepper, spices, vinegars and mustards are OK, sugarry condiments to be mostly avoided.

I eat redskins mashed without peeling and some beef broth added for flavour, mini potatoes baked in the oven (wee bit of olive oil on them, plus spices), grated and cooked in a frying pan (can also be done on a George Foreman grill) like a big hash brown pattie. I also have a potato chip maker that goes in the microwave and makes awesome fat-free chips. Lot of options.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I am thinking of going on Monday. I have some produce to use up yet.

I have been trying to do a metabolic reset of sorts, for lack of a better word. I had some blood work done yesterday, and if I havent screwed up my thyroid, I might give it a go. I don't know what I need to do if I have messed it up. TBD I guess.

I have spent the last month or two, increasing calories. I still never really got all that high, but my nurse practitioner suggested maybe it is time to take them back down again.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    Hey guys, here's an update on my PPD experience.

I started on monday at 187 Lbs with a pretty strict outlook. I ate nothing but russet potatoes until Friday, then I made some potato chips with marinara sauce and a really good low fat potato soup with carrots. I ate between 2 and 3.5 lbs a day, and worked out 4 days out of the week. (2 body weight exercises, 2 games racquetball, lots of walking, swim sprints)

Are you ready to hear the new weight?

185 Lbs... Yup... 2 Lbs loss, I'm a little disappointed.

However, I am definitely more cut than I was on monday, my abs are twice as well defined, and that's saying something for a guy who has never really seen his abs.

I'm hopping I'm just bloated and that I will drop a little more, but if not it's fine. I will definitely try again in a couple of weeks since the body composition has obviously changed.

Has this happened to anyone else?

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    Sambo, yer cryin' about 2lbs in 5 days? Or really, 4 days, sortakinda.

I say next time you try it for a full 7 days and see where that gets you.

And what if it was "just two pounds of fat" that you lost? That'd be HOT.

Also, next time, I'd tone down the exercise a little. Your muscles won't atrophy
    and slide out of your fingertips, I promise!

Now, be happy with your 2 pound loss.

THIS IS AN ORDER.

Julie

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I am thinking of going on Monday. I have some produce to use up yet.

I have been trying to do a metabolic reset of sorts, for lack of a better word. I had some blood work done yesterday, and if I havent screwed up my thyroid, I might give it a go. I don't know what I need to do if I have messed it up. TBD I guess.

I have spent the last month or two, increasing calories. I still never really got all that high, but my nurse practitioner suggested maybe it is time to take them back down again.
    Keep workin' it, Mel--you'll get there! Since I started eating PHD after Christmas, my weight went up about 3 pounds in first 2 weeks and has leveled off perfectly. My weight seems more stable than it ever has. I don't know if that's the resistant starch or what, but my thyroid and everything seems to be firing on all cylinders for a change. If I were you, I wouldn't mess with the potato diet until you've found a stable point, then stay there for quite some time. After you have stabilized, then maybe try a week or two of 'advanced hacks', before going back to regular eating. If you are gaining on PHD, it's easy to cut a few things slightly like excess fats, pleasure foods and starch. Did you read 'tatertots' talk about RS from plantains in the Q&A forum on PHD website last couple pages? I'm doing that now, too. 20-30g/day from dried plantains.

How are your horses?

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    Sambo, yer cryin' about 2lbs in 5 days? Or really, 4 days, sortakinda.

I say next time you try it for a full 7 days and see where that gets you.

And what if it was "just two pounds of fat" that you lost? That'd be HOT.

Also, next time, I'd tone down the exercise a little. Your muscles won't atrophy
    and slide out of your fingertips, I promise!

Now, be happy with your 2 pound loss.

THIS IS AN ORDER.

Julie
    I was getting ready to answer, too, but you did a good job, Julie!

Sambo looks fit and close to 6', so 185 is probably pretty darn lean. Losing 2 pounds is darn hard for a lean person. I'd also bet if Sambo took a deload week instead of "and worked out 4 days out of the week. (2 body weight exercises, 2 games racquetball, lots of walking, swim sprints)" he'd have lost a bit more. Severe calorie restriction and intense activity are not great bed-partners, IMO.

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for the reality-check Julie, you're absolutely right, and I am pretty sure I melted off a good quantity of fat. You an otzi may have a point about my workout load, in a few weeks I'll try again and cut the lifting and sprinting, and see if I can go for the full week.

Thanks for the support guys, it definitely made my day

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sambo712 View Post
    in a few weeks I'll try again and cut the lifting and sprinting, and see if I can go for the full week.
    A deload week can be a huge benefit to a normally active person, even when eating to excess. Sometimes the body needs a break. When I was playing with the PPD I did best just walking and maybe a few bodyweight exercises, stretches really.

Page 41 of 54 FirstFirst ... 31394041424351 ... LastLast