Page 40 of 54 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Potato Diet (PPD) page 40

calee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm thinking about next week. Eating low carb has me maintaining right now. These last 10 pounds are outrageous hard to get off!

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    I started on monday too, I've been doing black coffee on a morning walk, one mug of bone broth (sans fat), and then baked and chilled potatoes for lunch and dry fried hash browns for dinner. I threw in a sweet potato today for variety, but it really hasn't been that bad (first time). I will weigh in on saturday morning and report my results, but I definitely feel more trim, and my pants fit a little looser. I will do monday-friday this week, and then another monday-friday when I get back from spring break in a week. I just cant make myself eat potatoes all weekend, I love food too much. I'm hoping to have some pretty drastic results with the intermittent potato pounding.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    My results have been amazing. Down 2 lbs overnight. And I could tell I was having a "whoosh" of weight loss because of sleeping so poorly. Has happened many times before. Thant brings me down a total of 6 lbs in 3-4 days, about 4 of which was just bloat from a weekend of not eating well.

And other than being a bit boring, I feel so darn good eating this way. Never hungry. I can still have an interesting supper with hubby (last night was yellow peppers stuffed with ground beef, grated potato in lieu of rice, some tomato sauce and grated cheese - yummy!)

Today is day 5 and sushi supper is the plan. I could possibly break into the 140's tomorrow morning.

Dena is offline Junior Member
    Hi - Was perusing the forums and found this thread. I'd never heard of PPD before and was ready to scoff until I started reading everyone's success stories. I'm thinking about trying this for a few days and I guess am just looking for some encouragement (my husband already thinks Primal is a "fad" and is going to be less then excited to hear me announce I'm eating nothing but potatoes for 4 days).

Here's my background. I'm female, 42, about 123 pounds, maybe 22% bodyfat. I'm a (shhh...) chronic cardio girl, running hard about 25 miles a week, plus I do Crossfit and Bodypump and some power yoga. We're moving this week so I've decided to try a deload week - other then lifting and unpacking boxes, I'm doing no hard physical movement starting Sunday.

Would like to try this to shed some belly fat and those last few annoying pounds. Having a hard time getting my mind around it after so many years spent thinking of potatoes as the enemy.

My question is... should I be eating 2 lbs of white potatoes a day? Does white rice count/allowed? And am I supposed to eat greens or not? Some posts seemed to indicate that people ate them while others were adament that it be only potatoes. And how many days should I do this?

Thanks in advance.

Sambo712 is offline Senior Member
    Marthat - Congratulations on your loss, but what are the parameters you're going by? I've been avoided fat like the plague for four days, so cheese is out of the question. Are you doing very small portions of protein and veg? It was my understanding that the closer you could stick to white potatoes which had been cooled (to create resistant starch) the better.

Dena- Try not to let the skeptics keep you down, all my friends, my girlfriend and my parents think I am out of my mind for doing the PPD, and they are probably going to recommend counseling soon. However, it seems to me that this diet can do no harm when done for short periods of time, and the results obviously speak for themselves.
    I would say keep it pretty simple, but palatable, and to eat as many potatoes as you need to feel satiated, I can guarantee that after the first day you won't want to eat more than 2-3 lbs.
    I will be going for 5 days and 5 nights for convenience sake, but you can do anywhere between about 4 days and 14.

Here is a great post by Richard Nicoley at Freetheanimal.com
    The Potato Diet Hack - Observations | Free The Animal

He makes his potatoes look pretty good, and even has a little bit of fat with each one. I'm making his recipe for potato soup tonight.

Richard Seekins is offline Senior Member
    Iv chatted with quite a few body builders over the years and many seem to cut for comps by eating just potato and boiled chicken for a few weeks. Clearly that works. I don't have a clue how much, I guess enough to be able to still train too.

I can add I wont be doing this anytime soon as I'm not into body building.

I'm lucky to have lost weight and gained muscle just sticking with the palio thing most of the time. I guess some people need an extra special short term kick to get rid of some annoying fat.

Good luck
    Last edited by Richard Seekins; 03-08-2013 at 07:06 AM.
    Caution! My replies may contain traces of nuts!. My posts are just my opinion based on my experience with the primal way of life, there is no assurance it will work with others in the same way.

Started Primal 15th October 2012
    Height 5'9"
    Start weight 200lb
    Loss so far 33.8lbs, now 166.2lb
    Goal was 168lb's

otzi Guest
    I liked these guidelines that we came up with last winter:

1. Plan on eating mostly potatoes for 5-7 days (90%+ of calories)
    2. Eat between 2 and 4lbs of potatoes daily.
    3. Other foods allowed (but optional!): 1/2 cup sauerkraut, 1 cup bone broth, 1 tsp max daily coconut oil, olive oil, or butter,
    1-2oz lean meat daily. Unlimited coffee, tea, and water.
    4. Spices, salt, pepper, and vinegar OK.
    5. Lifting of Heavy Things discouraged, think 'de-load week'
    6. All normal supplements OK to continue
    7. IF'ing, especially by skipping breakfast encouraged.
    8. If you need to lose more weight, alternate the "Potato Reset" diet with healthy Primal Blueprint in 5-7 day increments.
    9. Not recommended for people who eat every 2-3 hours, have glucose issues, or have eating disorders.
    10. Highly recommended for people who have their hunger under control, have been eating PB style for 6 months or more, and are having trouble losing weight with the normal approaches.
    Glad you guys are still working the spuds! I did my last round after Christmas and have kept all the weight off. I think adding potatoes, rice, and plantains to my daily meal planning since then has aided in weight stability.

Key Tones is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dena View Post
    Hi - Was perusing the forums and found this thread. I'd never heard of PPD before and was ready to scoff until I started reading everyone's success stories. I'm thinking about trying this for a few days and I guess am just looking for some encouragement (my husband already thinks Primal is a "fad" and is going to be less then excited to hear me announce I'm eating nothing but potatoes for 4 days).

Here's my background. I'm female, 42, about 123 pounds, maybe 22% bodyfat. I'm a (shhh...) chronic cardio girl, running hard about 25 miles a week, plus I do Crossfit and Bodypump and some power yoga. We're moving this week so I've decided to try a deload week - other then lifting and unpacking boxes, I'm doing no hard physical movement starting Sunday.

Would like to try this to shed some belly fat and those last few annoying pounds. Having a hard time getting my mind around it after so many years spent thinking of potatoes as the enemy.

My question is... should I be eating 2 lbs of white potatoes a day? Does white rice count/allowed? And am I supposed to eat greens or not? Some posts seemed to indicate that people ate them while others were adament that it be only potatoes. And how many days should I do this?

Thanks in advance.
    Since someone mentioned this is Dr. McDougall's hack, I have been reading and watching youtube videos to see if I can get a better understanding.

I found a man that followed his diet and lost 170 pounds. He ate very low fat, I think a nearly fat-free vegan diet, and I gather from what he said very focused on potatoes, ate no more than 2 fruits per day (frozen and blended with water to make "milk") - note bananas are also a resistant starch. Basic diet is 70% starch, 20% veg, 10% fruit (I believe by a visual of looking at the plate, but not sure--haven't made it into the book very far--I'm going by the video of this man that lost the weight). He also said if weight loss is difficult, McDougall said to eat 50% veg 50% starch.

He looked too skinny and not very healthy, good grief. Obviously had bad teeth--I have read Chris Masterjohn's account of how he personally broke down with a mouthful of cavities after going vegan - I think it happens at a the year and a half mark or so. Just a note - this potato hack is clearly for short term use.

I tried adding garbanzo beans this week and lost no weight. I suspect the potato hack works better because of the mono diet effect and because potatoes are more satiating, and it is much easier to eat a lot of garbanzo beans made into low fat hummus than it is to down potatoes.

I also tried eating 50% veg 50% potatoes one day and I was starving. The veg takes up room in your stomach and it is harder to get in enough potatoes. I don't think adding veg significantly is going to be any fun. I would stick with enough to flavor - like putting onions in potato soup and such.

I gather McDougall says eat low fat, center diet on starches, and if not losing weight, focus on potatoes and winter squash and avoid rice and beans.
    Last edited by Key Tones; 03-08-2013 at 08:36 AM.

All very helpful - thank you to all who replied. I'm going to give this a go starting Monday combined with my deload week. Given that we're moving, it may actually make life easier to just eat potatoes and not have to worry about cooking. However, hoping all of you will be willing to vouch for me once my husband clues in to what I'm doing and has me committed.

What Kinds of Potatoes Allowed?

One more question - is this only Russet potatoes? I know no sweet potatoes, but how about yukon gold, new potatoes, white potatoes, etc.?

Page 40 of 54 FirstFirst ... 30383940414250 ... LastLast