Page 39 of 54 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Potato Diet (PPD) page 39

otzi Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibtron View Post
    That's so true!
    Have u found that your weight has changed at all by adding the daily potatoes? Or just completely stabilised!
    I'm hitting the gym for first time tomoro but will be a slightly lighter session as have hurt chest snowboarding! And don't wanna lift to heavy weights
    I have found my training has stayed the same for a while now and not been able to up the weights etc so excited that might be able to up and increase!
    And lose the carb fear!
    Thankyou seriously Otzi for all your help been a pleasure meeting you and ill try not to inundate you with stupid questions in future!
    Just love the apple and good to be a proper part of it! And also to clear up any of the queries I have!
    Today is my 3rd day potato and really enjoying it! Having a few drinks tonight and then back on it tomoro!
    How long has you been primal?
    I've been following Primal Blueprint for 2-1/2 years. Started out in really bad shape, lots of health problems, cleared them all up on a low-carb/no-potatoes or rice diet, but after several years found I shouldn't have been so fearful of the carbs from real food. As I got healthier and trying to get stronger, cutting the carbs was hurting more than helping. I was very weight stable on low-carb, but could easily bloat-up with an off-plan weekend from 5-10 pounds.

Since adding in the daily potatoes and rice, I have gained a few pounds, but not inches. Since my workouts have gotten better, I assume it's some muscle, which is OK by me. My weight it very stable now, however, with regard to those bloating episodes. I put some pics up a while back here: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d6138-501.html (posts 5007 and 5009)

jo
    jo is offline Senior Member
    Great pics Otzi! Looking pretty good at 50!

Gibtron is offline Member
    OMG! Otzi you look awesome!!
    That's the thing isn't it you don't mind having more weight if its muscle,it's when you get hat horrid bloat of that 5-10
    I get that ALL the time, and often it's not even if I've "over indulged" that much!
    Is so frustrating!
    I hope you've found as well your health issues are better now?

Back on the potatoes today,and even managed to sneak in a potato meal with my friend last night..who then said, how come your having potatoes carbs are really bad right?!
    I gave her a hole different opinion to about a month ago-And it felt good!!
    "It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all,in which case you've failed by default"

aimlow is offline Senior Member
    Starting PPD today- bought 4kg's of potato this morning, thinking I'll make my way thru it over the next 5 days? Does that sound about right?
    Any advice, recipes, encouragement- much appreciated!

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by aimlow View Post
    Starting PPD today- bought 4kg's of potato this morning, thinking I'll make my way thru it over the next 5 days? Does that sound about right?
    Any advice, recipes, encouragement- much appreciated!
    Prepare a lot in advance so you have something to munch when you get hungry. They take so long to prepare, it is easy to give into temptation. Other than that, stick to as plain of potatoes as you can. When you start adding other stuff, you start craving other stuff. Boiled, baked, shredded and dry fried. Salt/pepper/vinegar. Try to eat the least amount you can without feeling starved, usually in the 2-3 pound per day range for most.

aimlow is offline Senior Member
    Otzi- I went thru 2lbs by mid afternoon and was starving! Probably would have needed at least another 1.5lbs to keep going. Does the appetite get suppressed after the first day? And if I eat so many potatoes to be satisfied I'm guessing it would be as many calories as I'd normally eat! So, is the magic of the potatoes diet in that you are able to eat less calories? Or do you think even if my calories are higher that ill still have success? Thanks for your help!

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by aimlow View Post
    Otzi- I went thru 2lbs by mid afternoon and was starving! Probably would have needed at least another 1.5lbs to keep going. Does the appetite get suppressed after the first day? And if I eat so many potatoes to be satisfied I'm guessing it would be as many calories as I'd normally eat! So, is the magic of the potatoes diet in that you are able to eat less calories? Or do you think even if my calories are higher that ill still have success? Thanks for your help!
    The magic lies in calorie reduction with (hopefully) little hunger. A lot may depend on where you are starting from. If you are one that normally eats 3 meals and snacks, it may be harder to pull off. If you are a calorie counter, the calories found in 1 pound of potato are approx 450 calories. 2lbs = 900 cal. 3lbs = 1350 cal. 4lbs = 1800 calories. You should aim to eat at about 50-75% of your normal calories.

Try to just eat enough to keep you somewhat satisfied. You will have a belly full of fluffy potato, that helps, but you still may be a bit hungry--that's OK. It does get easier after a day or two. One reason I like to tell people to start off with just a few days the first time is so you'll know what to expect and can decide if you really want to do it for a week or longer. Some take right to it, others hate it.

A lot of people plan on 2-3 days, lose 2-3 pounds and decide to extend it to 7-10 days once they see it's working and they can handle the hunger they are experiencing.

If you find you have to eat the same calories as you normally do, you won't lose any weight and you'll not enjoy it. If you fit in that category, you probably want to find a different hack.

Keep in mind, this is only done to lose a few pounds fairly quickly. There are better long-term strategies, some even involving eating potatoes every day.

Keep us posted!

Gibtron is offline Member
    Tomoro will be day day 8 of the PPD for me and today my loss came in at 11.6
    I have really enjoyed doing it and think its changed a few beliefs for me with carbs too which I needed, I am going for a meal tomoro and got couple of things over weekend, just wondered where to go from now, should I still do potatoes and just add in some primal dinners, or best to go back to primal completely and then add in PPD when needed?
    Obviously I'm planning on adding potatoes back in but how much would be best?
    I reAd somewhere that someone suggested doing the weight loss version of primal health diet(still can't get my hands on this book) but I don't know what this is?
    I would still like to lose a bit more weight and then focus on getting my tone back up, I just want to be as lean and strong and healthy as poss
    My diet before was primal with some mad strict no carb strong protein stretches!! And DON'T want to go back to that!
    "It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all,in which case you've failed by default"

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Resurrecting this thread. I've been back on potatoes since Monday. Only potatoes for breakfast, lunch and snacks, then a moderate supper of protein and potatoes (usually). Have lost 4 lbs (mostly bloat) since Monday and feel great - never hungry. In fact I skipped breakfast altogether this morning due to busyness and appointments and was not in any sort of bad way by lunch.

I plan to stay with this plan Mon-Fri this week, maybe at least partially on the weekend, then back at it Mon-Fri next week. We'll see after that.

Besides being less bloated, I'm sleeping better thanks to the reduction of hot flashes from "raging" over the weekend to moderate now. I've also sworn off any alcohol after three nights of moderate consumption leading to the very poor sleep and hormonal rollercoaster.

Anyone else still using this intermittently?

Rosemary 231 is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I still do. Lost 8.2 lbs in Oct. and another 4 in February. I usually just do it for a week.

Page 39 of 54 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast