Page 37 of 54 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Potato Diet (PPD) page 37

colbyhorsman is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Althaur View Post
    MAYBE it was something else going on of which you were unaware?

Like what?

Althaur is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by colbyhorsman View Post
    Like what?
    Well, if I were a doctor, I might have an answer for you. But since I'm not a doctor I'm not going to guess at what else it might have been. The only time I've had significant weight fluctuations is when I have gotten sloppy with my eating. In other words, I started eating a ton of extra carbs in the form of sugar or a lot of high calorie dairy, mainly heavy cream. My workout gains have never suffered either. In fact, I've found I gain a lot quicker on my lifts now and my running and ruckmarching has improved.

As a point, I just got done with a 6 mile run with a 35 lbs rucksack and averaged a 10:36 mile. Not fast, but I had enough in the tanks afterward to have gone for another several miles if need be. While I realize people will react differently, and my experience does not make it the normal reaction, I offered an opinion and another point of view. It's worth exactly what you paid for it, so do with it as you will.

Althaur is offline Senior Member
    Colby, my apologies for that post sounding sharp. It wasn't meant to be. I don't like telling people this or that may be wrong. I would much rather point out they should look at other causes before jumping to conclusion. I didn't mean to come off sounding grumpy.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Althaur View Post
    Um, you do know the body will take protein and convert it to fill empty glycogen stores don't you? I usually stay fairly LC and have never had an issue with "empty glycogen stores". That goes for HEAVY lifting and very long, very intense cardio. MAYBE it was something else going on of which you were unaware?
    Hey, man, good to see you here, hope your trip in the desert goes by quickly. I was in the military for 21 years, after I got out and quit exercising and eating 'military fuel foods' I quickly balooned up 50lbs and was in full-blown metabolic syndrome w/fatty liver, pre-diabetes, high bp, high chol all that fun stuff. Normal diets didn't work. I found Primal Blueprint, started eating and exercising--not like a soldier but like a person of my age should--and lo and behold within 6 months I was down 50lbs and off all my meds.

I went LC for 2 years, which I think really helped me get over the hump, but for long-term living I think you need some carbs over 100g a day at least to make life liveable. During my LC days, most of the carbs I was getting were from 1 oe 2 pieces of fruit a day and whatever carbs were in the veggies I was eating...potatoes and rice were off-limits. It was during this period when I would suffer huge weight swings if I ate 'off-plan' like a weekend of drinking and cookies and ice cream kinda bender. I'd easily gain 10lbs and it would take a month to get it off.

After you've lost a lot of weight, any regain is like 'Nooooooo!'. I'd restrict carbs even further and cut calories til the weight was back to where it was.

Last year, I came across the notion that you could eat only potatoes and lose a ton of weight fast without being hungry. I tried, it worked. That little trick has led me to being way less cautionary with what I eat and has let me experiment to see what was going on. I'm pretty sure I have a fructose malabsorption issue going on, as if I eat much more than a couple servings of fructose heavy foods, I get rapid bloat, gas, and my liver hurts like it did when I had fatty liver disease. Same with alcohol over a couple drinks. Knowing this, I stay far away from fruits high in fructose, anything with HFCS, and alcohol. Maybe my liver was damaged from all those years of 'Commander's Call' binge drinking.

Anyway, turns out I can eat mega amounts of potatoes and rice and not gain an ounce. Much of what I thought was me 'getting fat again' was just water weight from poor food choices. I also learned a bit about Resistant Starch, which may or may not be a miracle food, but it does play a big part in gut health...many other threads on that subject!

Potatoes are a very nutritious food and a good source of glucose. You said you eat LC and don't need potatoes, but looking at your journal, you are not that LC...

Yesterday's eats:

Breakfast - Primal fuel shake with extra protein, coconut milk and milk.
    Lunch - 2 VERY dry hamburger patties with bacon and swiss cheese, beets and half of a roasted potato.
    Snack - 1 cup of cherry yogurt, mixed nuts and raisins.
    Dinner - taco meet with salsa, cheese, onions and a bit of lettuce and 1 cup of cherry yogurt.
    In fact, I would say you are getting more carbs than the normal LC'er, but that is cool because you are a big, active guy. I'm glad to see you are eating potatoes!

Good luck, dude!

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibtron View Post
    Otzi-you a said u recommend keeping 'tators in daily eating do you mean JUST odd day of tators or combine ith other meals?

*carb scared*
    Silly I know!!
    Anything I can do to help weight and good workouts is always good!!
    I mean go back to your normal Primal Blueprint diet, but don't be afraid to have a couple potatoes or rice every day. I cannot begin to tell you how much better I feel eating potatoes every day. I eat, usually, 2 potatoes a day. I workout heavy every other day and have experienced new highs in reps and weights since going from 50-100g carbs (no starch) to 100-200g carbs (lots of starch).

Gibtron is offline Member
    Ok cool looking forwards to it especially If it means I can increase my lifting!! Sometimes running on empty with such low carbs!

And do quite enjoy potatoes/rice been ALONG time without them!
    "It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all,in which case you've failed by default"

Soo....landed back in the UK this morning (my time)
    Looked a bit weird going straight to Marks in airport grabbing some potatoes to get me started til food delivery!(much to bf amusement!)
    Chopped some up and seasoned and had them as wedges mayb 300g in my actifry-they were yummy!!
    Then did some in the slow cooker for cold back up as Otzi recommended, and used the ole Actifry(just couple squirts of 1cal spray and seasoning) with some miniature potatoes with a little sauerkraut for tea

I definitely ate less than normal I enjoyed the potatoes,but sort of got bored of going back and picking at them, I normally really struggle with knowing when to stop, and if the scales are correct(weighed myself when got back from airport)dear god I put on 11lbs whilst away!! Really REALLY hoping some of that is water plane weight(couldn't even put my shoes on!) cos that is depressing!!
    Anyhoooo so got a jacket potato for lunch tomoro with a little sauerkraut but just wondering is it best to fast and skip breakfast? If I really can't am I going to change my results???
    I already feel like its changing my focus back to where I had it before I went away and hopefully it will help with my night binges...I say all this while Bf lays in bed eating a box of chocs*that needs eating* and for once it isn't bothering me AT ALL!
    "It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all,in which case you've failed by default"

otzi Guest
    ...just wondering is it best to fast and skip breakfast? If I really can't am I going to change my results???
    I already feel like its changing my focus back to where I had it before I went away and hopefully it will help with my night binges..
    Just do the best you can. I like to skip breakfast and eat first meal at 11am, but that's what I do normally. If you are a normal breakfast eater, maybe just delay it as long as you can. Resist the urge to eat anything else, especially nuts, cheese, and other seemingly harmless snacks...they make it really hard to stick with it. Salt and vinegar are your friend!

Good luck!

Cheers!! Just gonna see how it goes but also looking to slim down my eating hours,maybe one step at a time!
    Been reading a lot about phd sounds good to incorporate with PB but seems impossible to get book here and can't get it for my kindle, do u find it easy to follow? And do u just tend to follow basic guidelines for weight loss then maintenance
    Feels so good to be back home and excited bout getting back on track and back to training!

Think the gym will be left alone tomoro morning,gotta be up for work in 6 and can feel jet lag calling!
    Good day people

Gibtron

otzi Guest
    Cheers!! Just gonna see how it goes but also looking to slim down my eating hours,maybe one step at a time!
    Been reading a lot about phd sounds good to incorporate with PB but seems impossible to get book here and can't get it for my kindle, do u find it easy to follow? And do u just tend to follow basic guidelines for weight loss then maintenance
    Feels so good to be back home and excited bout getting back on track and back to training!

Think the gym will be left alone tomoro morning,gotta be up for work in 6 and can feel jet lag calling!
    Good day people

Gibtron
    The PHD book is really more just a discussion about the why's and what's of how we should eat, not really a diet to follow. If you were on the fence about eating starch, it will give you relief to know they are OK to eat in a whole-food diet.

If you have been following Mark's Daily Apple and the Primal Blueprint for eating, keep doing that, but add a few servings of rice or potatoes a day and adjust your calories in other areas accordingly.

Hope you had a great trip and all the bad food was worth it! What was the worst thing you ate while away?

Page 37 of 54 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast