Page 34 of 54 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Potato Diet (PPD) page 34

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by LauraSB View Post
    it was the ease of prep and storage that sold me
    I did mention it to her last night. Along with some of the science/experiment results, until her eyes started to glaze over.... but something might stick.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

otzi Guest
    I'm reading the new Perfect Health Diet book. I know GoPintos is reading it, too. It tells a very convincing argument for adding potatoes into your diet, 2-3 medium potatoes (approx 1 pound) should be optimum. I'm planning on following the PHD very closely after New Year's.

A couple areas where I think Paul Jaminet missed the mark, though. He includes rice as a starch to eat in large quantities, but also warns us to not eat grain at all. I think rice is better than wheat, but should not be eaten at the rate of 1 pound a day! I'm thinking like a small bit of rice every now and then, but the biggest bang comes from potato, sweet potato and possibly some of the other starchy tubers he mentions, but I have no experience with cassava, taro, or plantains.

Another area I think he missed on is eating cold potatoes. He mentions the importance of resistant starch, says it can be profoundly increased through cooking and cooling, but never mentions eating cold potatoes (or rice for that matter). I am finding that eating a large portion of your starches cold and plain increases their filling power and is giving me some super-quality food for the good guys that live in my intestines

Paul wrote a blog on the Potato Diet, I'll see if I can find a link...he said he likes it, but doesn't understand why we don't just follow his PHD plan...duh. It may really be that simple. I am thinking that resistant starch/starch is a missing link for many of us following the Primal Blueprint. When I look at what I've eaten the past 2 years on PB, I ate pretty much zero potatoes and rice, and rarely bananas or anything I considered 'starchy'. All my carbs were from fruit, veggies, and nuts, and whatever was in cheese.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I'm reading the new Perfect Health Diet book.
    Have you made it to the Fasting chapter yet? More specifically where he talks about exaggerated drop in autophagy upon resumption of feeding and pathogens are free to multiply?

Totally off topic. And I usually need interpreters for most of what I read, but I dont think I have read about that anywhere, at least not that it has sunk in. I have just been dying to hear what others think. I think Neckhammer is/has read it also.
    Last edited by gopintos; 12-29-2012 at 10:29 AM. Reason: can't spell
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    Have you made it to the Fasting chapter yet? More specifically where he talks about exaggerated dropcin autophagy upon resumption of feeding and pathogens are free to multiply?
    I just finished the chapter on mammal diets/breast milk nutrients, maybe ch 3? It is a slow reading book, but only because it has lots of new (to me) ideas that I really want to sink in.

I love the fact that Mark Sisson is on-board with everything in the book!

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfstriked View Post
    So extreme dieting of say 3 potatoes for each of 3 meals for a week to start the fatloss.Then add in few eggs to breakfast,chicken to lunch and maybe salmon to dinner.Will weightloss slow or stop is a question I am wondering about an surprised that not one person here has thought to try this.Instead its thought of as a hack and people will drop the potato and go back to healthy eating.Some say they will add a large potato to a meal per day?But what if high carb eating is actually the right way to eat?Just wondering on this is all.....
    I had potatoes for breakfast and lunch only back in early December and lost 3.5lbs in 4 days . I don't post much on the potato threads because I'm pretty lax about following the "rules". I have 1C 2% milk in coffee while I'm getting ready in the AM and I'm not prepared to give that up, lol. I'm back to 1-2 potato meals a day after a week of holiday gluttony and weight is dropping again. However, some of that is probably just due to the fact that I'm done eating like a pig and drinking like a fish.

I've been pretty impressed by how eating a potato with nothing but spices fills me up and blunts the desire to eat later, even when I'm starting to feel hungry. And I really like potatoes, so I prefer to think of them as real food - useful and yummy food.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfstriked View Post
    Why are the folks here so anti potatoes?You fine folks may have stumbled onto something here but it might just blow away into the diet fad books.Any thoughts on this?Remember the meat and potato diet?LOL that is one D E L I C I O U S way to eat and maybe just maybe it should be reversed into the potato and meat diet since potatoes are so satiating,energizing etc and just a little meat and fat will give great health benefits to it....???
    Nice first post. The Potato Diet has coaxed a bunch of first timers into commenting--of that I'm happy.

I have been eating paleo/Primal Blueprint for exactly 2 years to date! During that time, I lost almost 100lbs and completely reversed the entire range of metabolic syndrome illnesses (fatty liver, pre-diabetes, high bp, high trigs, gout, skin eruptions). I went from a 250 pound weakling to a lean and fit 166 pound fitness geek.

When I first started losing, I eliminated almost all carbs, eating at the 0 - 30g range almost the whole time. It took me 6 months to get from 185 to 175 and I stalled at 175 for almost a year.

I stumbled across a vegetarian-esque website (Thermogenex - Fuel the Burn |) and in some random comments, the blog author mentioned eating just potatoes for a couple weeks to make your fat move. I first thought 'no way would that work for me', but several weeks later, several people had tried it and it worked like a miracle.

I did a 2 week run back in August and went from 175 to 165 in that time. During the past 4 months, I have tried variations and found it works every time as lond as you stick to mainly potatoes, there is no weight re-bound or water weight fluctuations, just seemingly good, clean fat-loss.

"Tatertot", the OP for this thread and I have been in close communication since he found out about the Potato Diet. He's working on a potato diet book and has a potato farm in Oregon that he hopes to rejuvenate next summer. Maybe we'll see him on Dr. Oz one day. Look at all his past threads for some good info. He said he's going to try to come back to the forums later this winter.

Anyway, for me the Potato Diet has been a huge turning point. It made me not scared to try new things that may increase (God forbid) my weight since I now know how to get back to where I was. It also made me not fear the evil potato, and I'm planning on making it the centerpiece of my diet for the next year.

There was a huge debate about 'Safe Starches' last year, the outcome was uncertain--some still hate carbs--but Paul Jaminet updated his Perfect Health Diet book Toward a Happy, PHD-in-the-Mainstream New Year | Perfect Health Diet to include 1 pound of the starchy food a day. A line of reasoning I'm willing to follow.

Someone asked Paul about our Potato Diet and he said: Perfect Health Diet Q&A with Paul*Jaminet - Latest in Paleo Podcast Blog - Latest in Paleo Podcast - Paleo Diet - Paleo Fitness - Paleo News

"the Potato Diet like all highly restrictive diets is very effective for weight loss in the short term. It is probably better than many restrictive diets because potatoes are a healthy, nourishing food, and have relatively few toxins (thus we classify them as a “safe starch” and recommend their regular consumption). They also have a lot of an especially beneficial form of fiber.
    ...So I would suggest that the best strategy is to eat a nutritionally balanced diet from the beginning – at a minimum, potatoes and milk, like the Irish, but preferably also with eggs, seafood, organ meats, and vegetables – and use intermittent fasting and conscious effort to achieve a calorie restriction similar to that achieved on the Potato Diet. This more nourishing diet is likely to be equally effective for weight loss and healthier in the long run.

Of course, with those changes the Potato Diet becomes an implementation of the Perfect Health Diet! "

And you know what? He's right.

Good luck all!
    Last edited by otzi; 01-01-2013 at 09:44 AM.

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I am thinking that resistant starch/starch is a missing link for many of us following the Primal Blueprint. When I look at what I've eaten the past 2 years on PB, I ate pretty much zero potatoes and rice, and rarely bananas or anything I considered 'starchy'. All my carbs were from fruit, veggies, and nuts, and whatever was in cheese.
    Not everyone bought the bullshit that potatoes and other starches are bad for you.
    The ones that did are the people who have been doing this "diet" for years, and still trying to find their way.

allie0426 is offline Junior Member
    Hi there... this is my first post to this forum (although I've been lurking for awhile). I have completed day 4 of the PPD, and, while I havent had as dramatic results as some, I have lost 2.5 pounds after being stalled for quite some time. I, like many here, have been eating paleo/PBP for a long time (strictly for about a year) and have lost 50 pounds. i've been stuck there for at least 3 months. After reading Paul Jaminet's new book (Perfect Health Diet) and googling a bit more, I stumbled upon this and decided to try it out. I'm loving the results! I'm finding it so easy. I'm never hungry. I'm pretty much living on the "hash browns" made in a never-used-brought-down-from-the-closet-panini-maker

As a 49 yr old female, I can tell you that getting weight off is NOT easy, lol. This is a godsend. I'm shocked at how good I feel... no hunger, lots of energy, no cravings (although, honestly, dont have many of those anyway since getting serious about ancestral eating). At any rate, I intend to go for 14 days. I started off counting calories (which were somewhere around 1000-1100) at first, then dropped to 700-900), but now just eat potatoes when I'm hungry. I generally shred about 500 grams of whatever potato i have and then eat it for a couple of sittings.

Anyway, thought I should post instead of lurk... hope everyone had a wonderful new year

Allie

Gibtron is offline Member
    I know there have been so many posts on the potato diet but just want a quick clarification,currently on holiday and gained couple(only couple I hope!) pounds whilst I'm here and interested in doing a few days ppd when return,haven't done this before but normally very low carb
    -am I likely still to lose on this or will I have a massive gain as body not used to carbs?
    -can I have sweet potatoes aswell
    -no calorie target so long as don't use anything else?
    People just use spices etc to flavour? And can I dry fry and various other ways or do they HAVE to be eaten cold?
    I was just planning on following for a couple days or so then returning to primal, do you think this will be ok?

Gibtron is offline Member
    Ps what hot sauce do people use sounds like could make more flavoursome..and mustard ok?

Page 34 of 54 FirstFirst ... 24323334353644 ... LastLast