Page 33 of 54 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Potato Diet (PPD) page 33

otzi Guest
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry H View Post
    I looked at the threads and noticed quite a few dropped off rather quickly from said threads and some haven't posted at all any more on this web site after the initial exuberance shown.
    I noticed a lot of first-time posters on these threads. People who normally just lurk around that tried the potato diet, then came here to say how great it worked.

For me, it was like a huge A-Ha moment...I spent a year trying to lose the last 10 pounds and found I could do it in 2 weeks with potatoes.

I've had 30-40 PM's from people telling stories and asking questions.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by rosa.michelle View Post
    wow PPD seems interesting.. so that means we can have as much fries as we want !!
    Slice some potatoes into fries and bake instead of fry. Not bad. A little, and I mean little, bit of coconut or bacon grease spread on a cookie sheet makes them turn out really good!

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Otzi did you track calories?
    Last edited by Sue; 12-27-2012 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Error

dizzyorange is offline Senior Member
    I'd be really interested in the calorie count also. Is the weight loss primarily due to eating fewer kcal or would you lose the weight if you ate your usual allotment?

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I'm not Otzi but I do track.

It is very interesting to me.

On tators, I come in around 1000 calories or less. Some days more, some days fewer. Before I did the potato project, I was on HFLC. High fat makes me feel full also. Therefor I had many days of 900-1200 also.

Here is what is interesting. On HF, it didn't seem to matter where my calories were, but what mattered was my fat %. At 50%, I could lose about 5lbs per month. With each % increase, (and subsequently fewer calories probably most of the time but always under 14-1500) I was losing less and less until finally around 80% it stops. Was it because calories were getting too low or because fat was too high? Or something else entirely?

However on 900-1200 calories of tators, I can lose weight. Was it because I needed a refeed to get me going again? Or because of something else? I dont know. I just know it is easy, it is filling, and I dont have to think about it much or spend much time on it. I see the crap my sister eats for lunch because she "doesnt have time" to fix anything or to take anything from home in the mornings. Just think what a difference tators would make. Keep some at work, keep some in your car. Have some in the frig cooked & ready to go (she could do that on weekends or the evenings and have them ready to go for all week) I havent suggested this to her. It is a process and probably not one she could just whole-heartedly jump into. That may be a disservice to her and to the potato protocol, but what a difference it could make for her in terms of calories saved and time saved, not to mention money saved. In the long run, her health saved with getting a few pounds off.

Maybe I should mention it.

Anyway, I think the research has shown, though I don't have it at my finger tip to point you in the right direction, there is more to this than just calorie restriction and also more than just the satiety effect and the monotony. There is more to it than that. I have been keeping notes in a word document, but I dont have it at the moment.

I was just now thinking.... my brother has stayed fairly lean all these years. And his wife too for the most part. And many times, over the years when I have asked them what's for supper, they are having baked potatoes. Not plain of course, but that is the basics of their meal. We went to Sturgis with them over the summer, and a couple of times at the restaurants, my SIL ordered a baked potatoe, and that was it. Of course she topped it with other stuff, but that was her entire meal. hmmmm

I know I lived on them back in the day, 20 years ago, when I was divorced and broke and wanting to lose weight. i was lifting heavy. I would also have some chicken now and then but lots and lots of tators. I didnt know anything about nutrition, or macros. But I was at my peak as far as performance and my physique. Then somewhere along the way, I was programmed that starchy tators was baaaaaaad bad bad, and I was afraid to try it again until this popped up here. So glad it did.

Okay, babble off.
    Last edited by gopintos; 12-28-2012 at 08:46 AM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzyorange View Post
    I'd be really interested in the calorie count also. Is the weight loss primarily due to eating fewer kcal or would you lose the weight if you ate your usual allotment?
    The first two times I did the potato diet, I counted meticulously. I weighed the potatoes and figured my calories vs expected weightloss. The weightloss I experienced, and have seen many other experience, is far more than would be expected with CICO formulas of 3500kcal=1 pound of fat.

This has been the subject of many threads and conversations...water weight, muscle wasting, true fat loss, etc... I think it is a combination of the three, but I recently came across a new line of studies on resistant starch and beneficial gut bacteria.

Potatoes contain a large amount of Resistant Starch (RS) that resists digestion in the stomach and small intestine. When it reaches the large intestine/colon, it is digested first by your good gut bacteria into a short-chain fatty acid called butyrate. The butyrate is digested and used by specialized colon cells called colonocytes. Most of the RS that you ingest is not used in pathways that contribute to fat storage, but the rate of digestion has been described as "in eating 1 gram (4kcal) of RS, 2.8kcal are used by the gut bacteria, leaving 1.2 kcal of digestible material". Therefore, the calorie estimate of potatoes may be off by nearly 50% when used for figuring CICO. Hope that makes sense.

For more info, just 'google-scholar' a combination of: colonocytes, butyrate, resistant starch.

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member
    Thanks very much Gopintos for the explanation. So quite low calorie and with Otzi's explanation about how it would be even less calories because the resistant starch is not all digested and absorbed.
    So I presume Otzi had the same amount of calories.
    Re it being muscle or water weight we wouldn't know unless tested but obviously you can see if you lost visible fat.

So for the humble potato you could say very filling and you can eat twice as much for your calorie amount.
    Last edited by Sue; 12-28-2012 at 03:49 PM.

dizzyorange is offline Senior Member
    @otzi and gopintos that was well explained... I think I will try a 3 or 4 day trial of this in February.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dizzyorange View Post
    @otzi and gopintos that was well explained... I think I will try a 3 or 4 day trial of this in February.
    3-4 day try-outs are fun and easy. Buy 10lbs of potatoes and eat til gone. 3-4 days is much easier, psychologically, than 7-14 days. If you like it for 3-4 days, make your next one a 7 day run...with 20lbs of spuds.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    I see the crap my sister eats for lunch because she "doesnt have time" to fix anything or to take anything from home in the mornings. Just think what a difference tators would make. Keep some at work, keep some in your car. Have some in the frig cooked & ready to go (she could do that on weekends or the evenings and have them ready to go for all week) I havent suggested this to her. It is a process and probably not one she could just whole-heartedly jump into. That may be a disservice to her and to the potato protocol, but what a difference it could make for her in terms of calories saved and time saved, not to mention money saved. In the long run, her health saved with getting a few pounds off.
    I did 5 days of potatoes for breakfast and lunch a few weeks ago and it was the ease of prep and storage that sold me rather than the 3.5lbs weight lost. The potatoes can be baked or steamed in advance, several meals at a time. I sprinkled garam masala on sweet potatoes or salt, pepper and (a lot of) ACV on white potatoes and my meal was ready. They were good hot or cold. I threw a little cold pack in my lunch bag, but I'm pretty sure they could have gone unrefrigerated until lunch if necessary.

I'm not sure I understand the food reward aspect though, because I thought they were delicious! I'm looking forward to starting the breakfast and lunch thing again when I get back to work. I did find it hard to eat more than about 300 calories worth in one sitting though, so I can see satiety being an important factor.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Page 33 of 54 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast