Page 30 of 54 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Potato Diet (PPD) page 30

maladee is offline Member
    Shop Now
    good job calee, I think you are doing great, I tried sweet potatoes today it was soooo good.

This is day 9 of ppd I started at 224, today I am 214 ish, I wish to continue this WOE until 12-7, The only thing I have a problem with is that I get real hungry sometimes, I eat more taters or add rice that seems to help, I do not have problems with BG soo do not know if this might be normal.

I told myself I was going to have a glass of wine when I am down 10lbs, will that totally mess me up? what do you guys think?

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by calee View Post
    After 4 days of PPD I was down 2 pounds. Yesterday I rebounded 4 ounces. Today back to two pounds down. For me those 2 pounds are good as I have been trying to budge them. Ate low carb yesterday, will continue today. I think my hands feel less arthritic today. Will start tomorrow again, this time predominantly sweet potatoes to avoid the nightshade effect.

Also, I forgot to add, I just happened to get blood work drawn yesterday. I was afraid that after 4 days of taters my glucose might be up because of the huge appetite swings I was experiencing. Random glucose was 90 (60-159 normalon this test), which is right where I generally land. Potassium and sodium perfect as well.
    That is excellent!!

I am so ready to start tomorrow. I am so close to 70lbs and I just want to get past it. These last 10lbs of weight loss (hopefully mostly fat loss) have just taken me forever. I just want over the hump.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maladee View Post
    This is day 9 of ppd I started at 224, today I am 214 ish
    That is fantastic!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

calee is offline Senior Member
    good job calee, I think you are doing great, I tried sweet potatoes today it was soooo good.

This is day 9 of ppd I started at 224, today I am 214 ish, I wish to continue this WOE until 12-7, The only thing I have a problem with is that I get real hungry sometimes, I eat more taters or add rice that seems to help, I do not have problems with BG soo do not know if this might be normal.

I told myself I was going to have a glass of wine when I am down 10lbs, will that totally mess me up? what do you guys think?
    Wow maladee, your results are awesome! I don't know about the wine.

calee is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    That is excellent!!

I am so ready to start tomorrow. I am so close to 70lbs and I just want to get past it. These last 10lbs of weight loss (hopefully mostly fat loss) have just taken me forever. I just want over the hump.
    I bet you'll fly right over that hump with the next round of taters. I am looking forward to starting again tomorrow with sweet potatoes. I have fish and veggies for today, but I'm missing my taters!

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member
    Has anyone tried this with just sweet potatoes? I'm not a fan of white potatoes so not sure I'd stick to it for a whole 2 weeks unless I just did sweet potatoes.

I've managed to put on about 10 pounds over thanksgiving from too much paleo pumpkin pie and sweet potato / sausage "stuffing" so know that sweet potatoes WILL make me fat if I combine them with lots of fat too ... and eat the entire pie by myself. (Roommates: we'll have the normal pie, you can eat that paleo crap.)

So long story short (too late) I'd be willing to give this a try as most everything short of doing 500-700 calories a day "doesn't work" for me anymore to lose weight, but again I'd prefer to do sweet potatoes if that's viable.
    Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by vonbraun View Post
    Tried out a 4 day potato diet, lost 6 pounds, would be thrilled if I balance out at 3 or 4 lb loss. Since I'm trying to lose the last 20 stubborn pounds, after already losing 25 this year with hitting the gym and eating healthier.

Planning on doing it every few weeks, if things keep going well.

I followed richards' version a la around .5-1 teaspoon of fat(coconut oil) per potato for cooking ease and palatability. Also added 10g bcaa on day i did fasted workout, plus added a few daily supplements. Drank morning coffee with a very small amount of half and half, and drank lots of tea throughout the day along with lots of water (mostly green tea btw). Used small amounts of ketchup, mustard, hot sauce, salsa. Was a little boring but not hard to maintain, only time i felt hungry was when i wasn't eating enough potatoes to reach a reasonable amount of calories.
    Glad you posted this. He's referring to Richard Nikoley at Free The Animal who is doing a big series of the potato diet. He's kind of 'rough' so read with caution, but he has lots of good potato recipes and is including a small amount of fat in his daily eating

Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    Supper was out at friends' and turned out to be mussels in wine broth (I ate no bread with mine, used a spoon for the yummy sauce), but the next course was whole wheat pasta with a lemon butter sauce. I had about half a cup of pasta and lots of my home-made ceasar salad (no croutons, real bacon). A couple of German Christmas baking treats for dessert. All of it was pretty moderate. So this morning I weigh 154 lbs, up 4 lbs overnight! I guess there was quite a bit of water weight involved in the Potato diet weight loss after all...
    You should have stuck with the mussels! I know, hard to do, esp this time of year. That dinner would have had me up 10 pounds overnight!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I think I might grab 15 pounds of organic potatoes today and start tomorrow. Think that's enough? i don't remember--is still taking a fish oil supplement ok with potatoes only?
    15 pounds will probably last you 3 or 4 days. Fish oil OK. Hope you are planning a de-load/easy week in the gym.

Quote Originally Posted by calee View Post
    After 4 days of PPD I was down 2 pounds. Yesterday I rebounded 4 ounces. Today back to two pounds down. For me those 2 pounds are good as I have been trying to budge them. Ate low carb yesterday, will continue today. I think my hands feel less arthritic today. Will start tomorrow again, this time predominantly sweet potatoes to avoid the nightshade effect.

Also, I forgot to add, I just happened to get blood work drawn yesterday. I was afraid that after 4 days of taters my glucose might be up because of the huge appetite swings I was experiencing. Random glucose was 90 (60-159 normalon this test), which is right where I generally land. Potassium and sodium perfect as well.
    Good on blood work! I'll be very curios what you guys think of sweet potato diet--you may start a new fad!

I like to have a bunch of plain, boiled potatoes in the fridge for the munchies. But I love that when I'm on 'only taters' I don't get sidetracked into a handful of almonds, nutbutter, cheese, fruit...

Wine won't derail you, but that line of thinking will! Food as reward for a good job is what got many of us into this mess to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by KestrelSF View Post
    Has anyone tried this with just sweet potatoes?
    Sounds like a couple of folks are going to try next week, join them! I think there will be a 'secret thread' on Odds&Ends.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    Gonna Start Tomorrow

Ok, I stopped by Sprouts after the gym this morning and picked up 15 pounds of organic potatoes, one single sweet potato, and some mineral water (and a bar of dark chocoalte that I destroyed on the way home). Here's the plan for the PPD. All ideas/feedback welcome, as I really haven't thought this all the way through.

-I'm gonna be pretty strict with just the potatoes. All I'll put on them is hot sauce, salt, pepper, chili powder, apple cider vinegar...I dunno, whatever other seasonings I have around. No supplementing protein or fat or anything, just a multivitamin and fish oil and green tea. I also just realized I should probably buy more foil today.

-Planning on finishing off the 15 pounds just as I get hungry; no set amount of days. As I'm running out of those 15 pounds I'll evaluate if I want to squeeze out a couple more days or not, then either buy more or don't.

-I'm going to keep my activity level pretty much the same as always, but my joints need a deload week pretty bad right now, so I'm going to lower the weight in the gym pretty substantially for the course of the potatoes. I'll still get my other weekly activities in (especially with this awesome 65 degree December weather here in Denver).

-Tomorrow (Day 1) I'm going to do a normal (heavy) workout fasted in the morning, then start eating the taters afterwards. After that, the deload starts.

-I'm not going to obsessively track everything. Sorry. For metrics, I'll 1) know how long it took me to plow through 15 pounds, 2) take a picture first thing tomorrow morning, and first thing in the morning after I stop eating taters, 3) MIGHT way myself a couple times, but I don't think it's a great indicator for me as I'm pretty lean and can fluctuate 3-4 pounds easily just by eating too much salt or boozing or drinking water or whatever. I think just looking at the pictures will be the best way to evaluate how it works for me.

-Tomorrow in the gym, first thing I'll do is warm up and load up 225 on the bench and see how many I can rep out in a row. I'll do this the day after taters, also. It's not a great scientific strength retention study, but eh. Maybe I should do a lower weight for max reps...I dunno. 225 isn't ridiculously heavy for me, but it's challenging and I usually squeeze out 7 or so when I'm lifting that amount. Maybe there's another exercise I should test, also.

-I want to make this clear: I'm just doing this because it seems like a fun personal challenge (just wrapped up No Shave November) and I'm curious. I've always treated my body as a fun science experiment anyway, so I want to see what happens. I'm not obsessing over losing weight, or anything else. I don't think there's any way a few days of taters is going to wreck me. I'm very good at listening to my body--if it's telling me at any point that only eating potatoes is a really, really bad idea, I'll stop. However, I'm very stubborn and really don't care about eating monotonously, so I expect I'll be fine at least getting through the 15 pounds relatively easily.

Random Thoughts

It was weird looking at the potatoes and knowing that that's all my food for the week. It's nice because there's so little planning involved, but a bit intimidating too. Also, spending only like $12 for several days' worth of food is kind of funny.

What about sauerkraut? I have a nice big delicious organic jar. Can I still have a little a day for probiotics, or should I stop while on taters?

I'm going to polish off all my ready-made food today (liver pate, sour cream, a roast, bacon, eggs, broccoli, avocados, etc). It's not a lot of each; actually just about perfect for a normal days' worth of food, so that worked out pretty nicely. I have tons of frozen/canned stuff, but I'll leave that alone.

I'm going to miss the hell out of some bacon. Today is day 13 in a row eating bacon...

Anyway, let me know what you think, and I'll get started and then put everything up when I'm done. I'm not planning on daily updates like "oh, I was down .4 lbs this morning; my energy feels blah, blah, blah". It's just not me. I'll just get it done and let you guys know how it goes afterward. Might check in if I have more questions during the taterfest.

Anything I missed?

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Gonna Start Tomorrow

-Planning on finishing off the 15 pounds just as I get hungry; no set amount of days. As I'm running out of those 15 pounds I'll evaluate if I want to squeeze out a couple more days or not, then either buy more or don't.

What about sauerkraut? I have a nice big delicious organic jar. Can I still have a little a day for probiotics, or should I stop while on taters?

Anyway, let me know what you think, and I'll get started and then put everything up when I'm done. I'm not planning on daily updates like "oh, I was down .4 lbs this morning; my energy feels blah, blah, blah". It's just not me. I'll just get it done and let you guys know how it goes afterward. Might check in if I have more questions during the taterfest.

Anything I missed?
    Looks like you got it covered! I put a 'forkful' of saurkraut on my potatoes to liven them up a bit, won't hurt a bit.

I like starting out with a known weight of potatoes and working my way through them. At the end, you can figure out to a high degree of accuracy the number of calories you ingested. That's very, very hard to do eating normally.

Good luck!

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Today is day 1 of my (highly!) modified Potato Plus+ diet. Critics note that I am not expecting similar results when the protocol is drastically changed. I have several reasons for trying it with additional low-fat and low-protein plant foods: the most important being my current state of health. It will be interesting to see how much variation can be added while remaining faithful to the basis of naturally LF LP. My experiment includes fruit, rice, sweet potatoes, low-fiber veggies, lf lp condiments, etc.

I'm basically doing high-potato McDougall for 10 days. (i know, i know) There was a (McDougall) article posted in the original potato thread, I believe, that promotes their version of a potato diet with similar results from many years ago, right? ETA: http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2006nl/june/marys.htm

I'll be doing a blog series if anyone wants to follow along. I'll post the link later.

Ps. This isn't a long- term diet in case it hasn't been said enough.
    Last edited by j3nn; 12-02-2012 at 12:41 PM.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Page 30 of 54 FirstFirst ... 20282930313240 ... LastLast