Page 29 of 54 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Potato Diet (PPD) page 29

JEL62 is offline Senior Member
    I like this thread because it turns the whole 'potatoes are bad' and 'white carbs are bad' thinking on its ear. I know it's been mentioned previously in this thread, but the guy who ate nothing but 20 potatoes a day for sixty days actually saw great improvements in his blood glucose, triglycerides, and the like... which is the opposite of what we might expect.

Kilian is offline Senior Member
    I just like seeing people slowly move away from the whole 'carbs are bad' dogma that seems to be overly propagated on this forum. People are going from the potato diet to the realization that including potatoes in a mixed diet is healthy and extremely beneficial. I'm tired of people demonizing certain macronutrients and then pretending that they're mimicking our 'primal' ancestors.

vonbraun is offline Junior Member
    Tried out a 4 day potato diet, lost 6 pounds, would be thrilled if I balance out at 3 or 4 lb loss. Since I'm trying to lose the last 20 stubborn pounds, after already losing 25 this year with hitting the gym and eating healthier.

Planning on doing it every few weeks, if things keep going well.

I followed richards' version a la around .5-1 teaspoon of fat(coconut oil) per potato for cooking ease and palatability. Also added 10g bcaa on day i did fasted workout, plus added a few daily supplements. Drank morning coffee with a very small amount of half and half, and drank lots of tea throughout the day along with lots of water (mostly green tea btw). Used small amounts of ketchup, mustard, hot sauce, salsa. Was a little boring but not hard to maintain, only time i felt hungry was when i wasn't eating enough potatoes to reach a reasonable amount of calories.
    Last edited by vonbraun; 12-01-2012 at 04:12 PM.

fateater is offline Member
    About how many potatoes did you eat? I'm curious. It's amazing how different the results can be. I'm on day 3 of all potatoes, no added fats, just hot sauce or s/p and spices. And I'm measuring UP almost 3/4 inch on hips and thighs from 4 days back.

Who is Richard that you are referring to following "richards' version"?

Thanks

vonbraun is offline Junior Member
    fateater,

Richard from the blog 'feed the animal'. I struggled to get above 1500 calories(5-6 large potatoes) + small amount of coconut oil, since potatoes are so filling. I'm a tall male at 237lbs, currently 231 post potato diet. I fully expect some rebound weight. My hunch would be this diet will work better on non sedentary people, 2-3 days a week of exercise being better for insulin response, and possibly better for this diet/biohack. And people that have metabolic issues, probably shouldn't do this.

In terms of supplements i also added very small amounts of MCT oil to my coffee and tea(maybe a teaspoon a day total - i keep it in a smaller dropper bottle for quick application), this helps with energy and hunger and shouldn't impact the diet, in my opinion.
    Last edited by vonbraun; 12-01-2012 at 05:19 PM.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    Rebound!! After 2 days of only potatos, I had dropped 2.5 lbs and was down a total of 7 lbs in 5 days (started at a non-normal bloated high last Monday). So yesterday I went back to eating other foods, but smaller quantities than would have been normal for me. I had a sushi lunch with some cooked items like beef in sauces. I was stuffed after a moderate portion and ate nothing else for over 5 hours. Supper was out at friends' and turned out to be mussels in wine broth (I ate no bread with mine, used a spoon for the yummy sauce), but the next course was whole wheat pasta with a lemon butter sauce. I had about half a cup of pasta and lots of my home-made ceasar salad (no croutons, real bacon). A couple of German Christmas baking treats for dessert. All of it was pretty moderate. So this morning I weigh 154 lbs, up 4 lbs overnight! I guess there was quite a bit of water weight involved in the Potato diet weight loss after all...

Not that I'm complaining. I noticed my appetite to be significantly decreased yesterday, which may be a post potato effect. I have long been a follower of Seth Roberts and The Shangri La Diet, which is based on his theories of the taste-calorie connection and our responses to bland vs flavourful foods. I think the blandness of the potato diet might be a factor in it's success. I have not branched out much into sweet potatos or into seasonings yet. I will restart the diet tomorrow with the PPD gang here.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I think I might grab 15 pounds of organic potatoes today and start tomorrow. Think that's enough? I don't really have weight to lose, but am curious if potatoes can take my abs to the next level. Plus, I'll probably run out of all my prepared fresh food today, so the timing works out.

i don't remember--is still taking a fish oil supplement ok with potatoes only?

Oh, I should probably make sure my spice rack is topped off, also.

calee is offline Senior Member
    After 4 days of PPD I was down 2 pounds. Yesterday I rebounded 4 ounces. Today back to two pounds down. For me those 2 pounds are good as I have been trying to budge them. Ate low carb yesterday, will continue today. I think my hands feel less arthritic today. Will start tomorrow again, this time predominantly sweet potatoes to avoid the nightshade effect.

Also, I forgot to add, I just happened to get blood work drawn yesterday. I was afraid that after 4 days of taters my glucose might be up because of the huge appetite swings I was experiencing. Random glucose was 90 (60-159 normalon this test), which is right where I generally land. Potassium and sodium perfect as well.
    Last edited by calee; 12-02-2012 at 08:05 AM.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    Plus, I'll probably run out of all my prepared fresh food today, so the timing works out.
    Yal it's kind of weird, and good also I guess, to see my stuff running so low and looking so bare But I need to do alot of cleaning the next few weeks anyways, so it will be good to clear it all out and start fresh.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I think I might grab 15 pounds of organic potatoes today and start tomorrow. Think that's enough? I don't really have weight to lose, but am curious if potatoes can take my abs to the next level. Plus, I'll probably run out of all my prepared fresh food today, so the timing works out.

i don't remember--is still taking a fish oil supplement ok with potatoes only?

Oh, I should probably make sure my spice rack is topped off, also.
    It'll be interesting to see how someone who is already quite lean, and I'm assuming active, fairs on just potatoes. You should take before and after pictures/measurements as well as monitoring your strength in the gym.

Page 29 of 54 FirstFirst ... 19272829303139 ... LastLast