Page 28 of 54 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Potato Diet (PPD) page 28

hebsie is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    ...last night's idea. Washed and wrapped two large sweet potatoes (in foil). Put them as a 'base' in the bottom of my crock pot. Then washed (and left wet) about 3lbs of mini-potatoes, filled the crock to about 5/6 full. Set on auto-shift, left cooking over night (approx 10 hrs). Woke this AM to a hot pot of perfectly cooked, crocked/baked potatoes!

So baked sweet potatoes for brekkie, delicious.

I then cut about a dozen (or so) mini-taters in half, tossed them (dry) onto the George Foreman and grilled them for about 12 minutes. Turned out perfect. Still fluffy inside, but outside browned up nicely, just like an oven-baked french fry. Very easy, and very little clean-up required...hebs

fateater is offline Member
    Sounds yummy!

It's just before noon and I've eaten 3 red skinned yellow fleshed baked potatoes, and now 4 small sweet potatoes. Feeling really hungry. Probably 800-900 calories. See how long that holds me over.

calee is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all of the support! I have not had glucose problems in the past. I generally keep carbs around 60. I don't eat grains or sugar. Mostly low carb with veggies and occasional piece of fruit. I will eat protein and veggies over the weekend and see how I feel. It's noon and I haven't been hungry after last nights tater fest. Overall, I don't think I had a great response to the four day tater fest.

I am reading PB. I'm sure I will have lots of questions! I want to make the switch from low carb to Primal for a life sustaining plan.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    On my off day today, I had 1 slice of bacon and pan-fried leftover redskin potatos for breakfast. Passed on the eggs - that seemed like more than enough. Then sushi, miso soup, seaweed salad, some beef in sauces for lunch. Gluten-free except for one breaded scallop. Found my appetite was less than usual. Still stuffed 3 hours later. Would that be a post-potato effect, do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Sounds like a good plan. Don't do it if it makes you feel worse in any way! Same for any dietary intervention. How's your diet in general? Are you sticking to the Primal Blueprint and gotten your snacking under control? Those were biggies for me a few years ago. If you are having glucose/insulin issues, the only way to tell is to get a glucose tester and test strips. If your glucose stays above 150-200 at the 1 and 2 hour post-eating points, you have issues. If it spikes at 1 hour then drops at the 2 hour point, you are most likely OK. I'd hate to see you playing with this if you have problems in this area, but I thought earlier you said you were OK in the past. The potato diet won't cause glucose problems in 2 weeks, but would definitely expose them.
    Otzi, no glucose problems that I know of, but I've been primarily low carb for many years. I eat three times a day, sometimes a protein snack after a long hike. I am making the transition to PB. I'm reading the book now. I may try taters again on Monday after I see how my swelling reacts after two days of protein and veggies. Thanks for the input about the glucose.

Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    On my off day today, I had 1 slice of bacon and pan-fried leftover redskin potatos for breakfast. Passed on the eggs - that seemed like more than enough. Then sushi, miso soup, seaweed salad, some beef in sauces for lunch. Gluten-free except for one breaded scallop. Found my appetite was less than usual. Still stuffed 3 hours later. Would that be a post-potato effect, do you think?
    I'm having the same response after 4days of taters. It's noon and I'm not hungry. This is unusual for me!

Please help me figure out if this makes and sense. Because of my arthritic response to taters, I went to read about nightshades. What I found is that sweet potatoes are not part of the nightshade family. Now things make more sense.

Day 1, all sweet potatoes not extra hungry
    Day 2' mix of Yukon and sweet
    Day 3 woke up with swollen hands ate mx of sweet with more Yukon gold, was outrageously hungry.
    Day 4 no weight loss. Most sweet potatoes until dinner. Appetite better until dinner when I ate all whatever taters and was hungry after 18 ouncs. I should have been stuffed! I also developed a psoriasis type patch on my face which I get from food allergies.

Day 5 off the taters for two days. Very little hunger. Scale up 1/2 pound.

So I'm concluding that sweet potatoes did not cause the swelling. It was the white potatoes. It feels like they activated my auto immune RA. I'm thinking to go back on Sweet potatoes on Monday and see how I react. It feels like a good experiment.

Smart to try again or not?

Slinkykitty is offline Member
    Sweet Potatos are fine. Ray Cronise recommends those also.

The original post that started all this on MDA may help you. Ray's site is fantastic, you do have to register to read, but its certainly worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi
    I have been dying to unleash this fat-busting trick on you guys, but I have been kind of holding back because it seems so impossible. It works. It works really well if you are a fat-adapted, fat-burning primal animal because you will go straight into burning your own fat!

This diet was developed by a NASA scientist who will soon be going public with it.
    Read more at Thermogenex - Fuel the Burn |

Here's what you do to lose 1/2 to 1 pound a day for up to 14 days. Eat potatoes. The only thing else you can eat is salt (sparingly), vinegar (all you want), hot sauce, ketchup (very sparingly), soy sauce (very sparingly and only fermented), spices--especially cayenne pepper.
    I'm on day 9 now, the hunger passes after around day 3/4. I've lost 5.9lb. 5 days to go.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slinkykitty View Post

I'm on day 9 now, the hunger passes after around day 3/4. I've lost 5.9lb. 5 days to go.
    Oh wow!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

fateater is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slinkykitty View Post
    That's what I'm hoping happens - I'm waiting to see what happens come Day 5. I'm on Day 3. Because today while I do feel "full" I have that nagging sensation to eat, fat especially today. Yesterday I wanted sugar after eating all my potatoes, today I want fat. The coconut cream chai latte is calling me... Instead, I'll cook more potatoes, and have plain tea.

Page 28 of 54 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast