Page 26 of 54 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Potato Diet (PPD) page 26

Kilian is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Yeah I would never supplement potassium. This is all from vegetables and potatoes. I do take Magnesium though, usually 200mg. I guess I need to throw a bit more salt on my food then...

fateater is offline Member
    Day 2: Really hungry this afternoon. Was busy all morning, only had black coffee and water. Hungry enough to eat around noon Started with 3 white potatoes. Then within 2 hours I've now eaten 5 smaller sweet potatoes, based on how many I bought I estimate that was about 2 1/3 lbs worth. It's only the second day so I'm just going to eat as many potatoes as I feel I need, I'm not restricting. I have a feeling that will happen naturally as my palate tires of the novelty of all these starchy carbs

I've been bloated up today too, belly sticking out and pants especially tight... Skin feels a bit tight if that makes sense. Must be retaining hella water.

But I feel full. More full than I ever did on this amount of calories on high fat low carb. Probably sitting at around 1200 calories so far, I'll be having a few more come dinner time though. I'm still far below what I was eating prior (think 2300-2900/day high fat VLC).

Curious to see what tomorrow morning brings.

**EDITED to add: I've now eaten 3 more white baked potatoes with salt/hot sauce. I'm craving something sweet or sugary like crazy - I keep thinking about the raw honey in the cupboard, which hasn't tempted me in over a month when I was eating high fat. I honestly can't tell if I'm genuinely hungry or what. My body must be thinking what the heck is going on with all these potatoes for almost 48 hours now.
    Last edited by fateater; 11-30-2012 at 03:45 PM.

calee is offline Senior Member
    Fateater, sweet potatoes help me with cravings. I eat the white sweet taters, not yams. I wrote this morning the my fingers feel swollen. Sounds like you are too.

I am on day 4. My scale didn't move this morning and I was disappointed. I was so hungry on day 3. I just didn't feel full or satisfied. I'm so glad I packed my taters to take to work today. As starved as I felt yesterday, I'm surprised at how much better today is. Yesterday I wanted to eat all day!

Day 4
    B at 10:30. 7 oz Yukon gold
    L at 1:45 10 oz white sweet potato, a few mini Tri colored peppers
    D probably early around 6. 12 oz dry fried shredded Yukon gold

I seem to get hungry every three hours. Today I held off on eating breakfast to cut out a serving of taters in hopes of the scale moving. I should come in right under 1000 calories. Anyone know what your calorie consumption is? I'm female, 5'4". Do I need to raise or lower my calories? Advice appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by marthat View Post
    I woke up 1.5 lbs lighter this morning after Day 1 of "traditional" only potatoes diet. The back story to this is that I have been shedding bloat weight all week after a bad eating week last week, and started 5 days ago at 157. By eating 80% primal, I was able to drop like a rock - 155, 153.5, 152.5. So when I was down to 151.0 this morning, an additional 1.5 lb loss, it was surprising that I would be down that much more water weight after an all carb day. Very counter-intuitive...

Can't wait to see what Day 2 feels like...
    Martha, you're getting fantastic results! You must be thrilled.

Gopintos, awesome results. Let's all celebrate when you hit 70 pounds. I've shed a lot of weight and every 5 feels like a huge success.

I've been low carb for such a long time. Really afraid of carbs. This tater hack is being god for me. I want to learn to eat primally and finally after decades, quit being on a diet. I just need a little more fat off first!

Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    Be careful with too much potassium. Your electrolytes should be balanced to prevent cardiac issues. Increase your sodium intake if the ratio if far off. Also, a magnesium supplement might be helpful. And yeah, potassium is a salt just like sodium, so an imbalance could result in thirst, cramps, etc. .
    I'm so glad this question about sodium was asked. I have been drinking but feel really swollen. Because I'm eating a mix of sweet and white taters, I'm not adding much salt. After reading this response, I'm confused.

How do I balance the potassium/sodium? What should I be doing?

Kilian is offline Senior Member
    Not trying to sound rude, but come on. If you increase one, you balance it by increasing the other.

In this case that means adding some salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilian View Post
    Not trying to sound rude, but come on. If you increase one, you balance it by increasing the other.

In this case that means adding some salt.
    I know it wasn't meant as rude. Thing is, I am already feeling particularly swollen in my fingers. I'm reluctant to add much salt to this, but I did salt my evening taters a lot more. I can't imagine waking up even puffier.

The only thing I find helps when I get the puffy fingers is to drink water, water, water and then some more water.

The whole sodium-potassium balance, I have no clue.

So End of Day 2.

Between 12 noon and 7 pm I ate: 3 white potatoes, 5 smallish white fleshed sweet potatoes, 3 white potatoes, 2 smaller white fleshed sweet potatoes (I never buy the orange fleshed sweets).

If I estimated, I would guess I ate close to 1800 calories, maybe 1900? The range for sweet potatoes is all over the place, each website I checked gave different estimates. Drank more than 3L of water, walked about 5km at a very slow preschooler pace in the rain

Bloating has increased, when I relax my stomach I look a good 5 months pregnant.

I'm tired, my muscles feel sore (could be from the HIIT I did 2 days ago). I basically want to go to bed at 7pm. Normally I would go to bed around 10.

Page 26 of 54 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast