Page 17 of 54 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Potato Diet (PPD) page 17

OneDeltaTenTango is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
    A poster on FTA hit the nail on the head with the discussion of Potassium and Sodium ratios in regards to this hack. The more and more research that is being done, the more it is being discovered that the ratios of the pathways used by various vitamins and minerals is a huge key to controlling inflammation and therefore weight loss and general health. Think the Omega-3 verse Omega-6 ratio. The Iodine, Floride, and Bromide ratio. The Iron, Copper, Zinc, and Selenium ratio. Now this brings in the Potassium, Magnesium, and Sodium ratio. What is the correct ratio? Beats me, but there are not any good studies suggesting what is ideal, just what the mins are before serious health problems arise. Why do we have a taste for salt? Probably because we spent a huge amount of our history near the ocean and brackish water. If such is the case, then we are consuming way to much sodium(even being paleo, think bacon, sausage, etc...), and therefore holding to much water in an inflamed state. Where is the water being held, muscles and fat cells are probable candidates.

Enter the potato hack. That flips the K/Na ratio on its head in the matter of a couple days. You would start to notice immediate weight-loss via water, which people are. In addition, people who are in a caloric deficit and are fat adapted are also using the stored energy in existing fat cells. I think combo would create the water loss from fat cells, and therefore fat cells shrinkage. It would be much easier for a fat adapted person to hold onto the weight loss rather then a non-fa because a non-fa would tend towards refilling the fat cells first.
    Interesting. I note that the first night of my tater experiment, I had to get up a pee FOUR TIMES and was down three pounds. Swooooosh.

fateater is offline Member
    Hi, I'm super curious about this, and the timing of discovering this thread is ideal - I'm on an EXTREMELY tight budget, so I'm going to give the potato thing a try - Potatoes are by far the cheapest thing to buy in bulk amounts around here

I notice some people using sweet potatoes as well (forgive me I did not read all 17 pages here, nor all 100 on the other post) - How many of you are doing that?

I LOVE me some hot sauce on potatoes, salt and vinegar sounds good too. I'll be buying a few big bags today and that should considerably ease my food budget stress for the next couple of weeks. And I have fat to shed as well, and it might actually be a nice break from the high fat, lots of meat thing I've been doing (as an ex-vegan the shift to primal was major)

I'll let you know how it goes!

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fateater View Post
    I notice some people using sweet potatoes as well .. How many of you are doing that?
    I'll let you know how it goes!
    I saw a few people were cycling in some sweet potatoes. I don't think it's a huge problem, maybe just eat like one every other day or so, but not the bulk of calories. What is working really good for me, and my new favorite method, is to get 20lbs of really nice potatoes (pick them for size so you end up with about 40 potatoes), then just eat these til they're gone. Should take 7-10 days, and you'll be down 5-10lbs. Good luck!

InSearchOfAbs is offline Senior Member
    I've been doing mainly yams (sweet potatoes, whatever you consider the orange flesh ones to be) and they
    work fine as well.

They ARE a little more toothsome, so the "stop eating" mechanism takes a bit more to kick in, but once it
    does, they are HIGHLY SATIATING FOR HOURS.

The other day I sliced up some rounds and baked them until they were chewy-chewy good, about 8oz of them,
    at 1pm.

They kept me overly full until 7PM.

SEVEN PEEEE EMMMM PEOPLE!

On 230 calories? REALLY?

Relleh.

I bought a sack of russets, yukon golds, red potatoes and sweet potatoes at Costco.

I am up to my ears in potatoes.

Cheap, easy, satiating and delicious.

I've not been doing ONLY potatoes though, so I'm not doing the hack as it was intended,
    but I'm eating them during the day and then a normal dinner.

So like yesterday I had some red potatoes cut into rounds and baked at 1pm, and then
    a f*ckton of bbq'd chicken wings at 7pm and STILL came out in a deficit for the day.... which
    is my goal cuz mama gots to lose a few lbs....

Julie

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fateater View Post
    Potatoes are by far the cheapest thing to buy in bulk amounts around here
    I hear ya! I bought some last night, and I was like really? If these last all week, it's like $2, maybe $4 if I eat both bags.

Quote Originally Posted by InSearchOfAbs View Post
    I've not been doing ONLY potatoes though, so I'm not doing the hack as it was intended,
    but I'm eating them during the day and then a normal dinner.
    That sounds like me. I would intend to eat all tators, but end up with regular dinner. I am trying for an all tator day today though. I did LC/HF for a couple days to try to get my Thanksgiving plump up reduced, and that worked for about 3 of the 4lb, so now I would really like to do a week of tators but I didnt want to announce it, incase I didnt make it haha. But I have been having great success just having had added them back in, either with a meal or as a small meal.

I have added bone broth today. 1/2 cup with about 75grams of tators, twice so far. I LOVE my bone broth. So thick and delicious. It just makes such a hearty little meal. I am hoping to still produce good results. Last time I had some broth also, though I think it was more tators with just a little broth "gravy", so we will see.

I will have to try some sweet tators also. I need to get to baking so I will throw some of those in as well
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

I would absolutely LOVE a PPD Challenge to hold me accountable to potatoes
    and nothing BUT potatoes, say, for 5 days or so...

Perhaps in the ODDS AND ENDS SECTION OF THIS WEBSITE SO NO ONE
    IMMEDIATELY GETS THEIR WANKERS IN A KNOT OVER IT BEING IN THE
    "NUTRTION" section, because clearly, potatoes are "void of all nutrition".

Mkay.

tatertot is offline Senior Member

Mkay.
    Call it something like "Whole 20" and see how long it takes you to eat 20lbs of spuds!

I would absolutely LOVE a PPD Challenge to hold me accountable to potatoes
    and nothing BUT potatoes, say, for 5 days or so...

Mkay.
    LOL Yal I hate knotted wankers. Ok... I am in if you are. Well provided I can also include eggs and steak and salmon and .... hahaha. Just kidding. I do like a little bone broth. Does that sound within reason? We can discuss it over there if ya wanna

Yes, knotted wankers are good as birth control, but nothing else.

Oh Mr. Tater, we had better not call it that, it would be even MOAR (ha ha haha h ahha! I'm dying!)
    confusing to anyone "new", even in THAT section.

Perhaps - "Nothing But Spuds for 120 Hrs".... or whatever duration we were looking for.

Yes, Gopintos, I think bone broth would probably be fine, especially if it is the low calorie
    variety and not used too often.

I've used fat free chicken broth (made my own) and it was beyOND delicious.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've used fat free chicken broth (made my own) and it was beyOND delicious.
    Yal that is what mine is. Homemade, but I grind everything up. I hate throwing anything away, and no one has really said yet that is was a bad idea to grind up the bones, and so I do.

Okay, if you wanna start a little thread, I dont care what you call it - doesnt even remotely have to sound like tators :P I will find it

Page 17 of 54 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast