Page 16 of 54 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Potato Diet (PPD) page 16

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    This may be a silly question, but eating the peels or not, or varied?

Oh, and thanks for the updates!! Awesome results!!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tatertot View Post
    My experiment: 8 people (me included). Each person was given 20lbs of potatoes (variety - Seed Potatoes - German Butterball PotatoesOrganic). Each person had approximately 40 potatoes and was instructed to eat nothing else. Water, coffee, tea to drink; salt, pepper, apple-cider vinegar for spices. Here are the results:
    Love this! Thanks for sharing!

I am probably going a few days of tators very soon.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

OneDeltaTenTango is offline Senior Member
    Hey tatertot. Interesting information and experiment. I took a quick look at loss as a percentage of starting body weight. Your top performers are #5,6, and 8. All female. All stretched their spuds to last the longest. #4 was close on their heels.

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OneDeltaTenTango View Post
    Hey tatertot. Interesting information and experiment. I took a quick look at loss as a percentage of starting body weight. Your top performers are #5,6, and 8. All female. All stretched their spuds to last the longest. #4 was close on their heels.
    I have some really cool charts I'm putting together with all that and also some waist measurements, but want to wait another month or so before putting it all together. I'm also compiling info on the lasting effect of the weightloss.

Kilian is offline Senior Member
    Hey tatertot, I know that you're more of a purist when it comes to the PPD, but have you or anyone you know had success while including moderate amounts of fibrous vegetables? They wouldn't contribute any fat, nor do they add many calories, so it seems like they shouldn't hinder the outcomes at all. I think it would be more attractive if that were possible, but I don't know if that would ruin the physiological "trick" at play here.

Quote Originally Posted by Kilian View Post
    Hey tatertot, I know that you're more of a purist when it comes to the PPD, but have you or anyone you know had success while including moderate amounts of fibrous vegetables? They wouldn't contribute any fat, nor do they add many calories, so it seems like they shouldn't hinder the outcomes at all. I think it would be more attractive if that were possible, but I don't know if that would ruin the physiological "trick" at play here.
    I don't know. The only way to find out is to do it. I have had so much success with just potatoes, that's my comfort zone. I can't imagine that adding something like 1/2 a bell pepper or a couple broccoli florets would harm anything, but if you started adding in cupfuls of carrots or beets it would start to change the characteristics of the high GI aspect, possibly. I'll let the experts fight it out in the other threads, but I am just so in love with the all-potato diet for fast and easy weightloss I don't want to deviate.

Bobert is offline Senior Member
    A poster on FTA hit the nail on the head with the discussion of Potassium and Sodium ratios in regards to this hack. The more and more research that is being done, the more it is being discovered that the ratios of the pathways used by various vitamins and minerals is a huge key to controlling inflammation and therefore weight loss and general health. Think the Omega-3 verse Omega-6 ratio. The Iodine, Floride, and Bromide ratio. The Iron, Copper, Zinc, and Selenium ratio. Now this brings in the Potassium, Magnesium, and Sodium ratio. What is the correct ratio? Beats me, but there are not any good studies suggesting what is ideal, just what the mins are before serious health problems arise. Why do we have a taste for salt? Probably because we spent a huge amount of our history near the ocean and brackish water. If such is the case, then we are consuming way to much sodium(even being paleo, think bacon, sausage, etc...), and therefore holding to much water in an inflamed state. Where is the water being held, muscles and fat cells are probable candidates.

Enter the potato hack. That flips the K/Na ratio on its head in the matter of a couple days. You would start to notice immediate weight-loss via water, which people are. In addition, people who are in a caloric deficit and are fat adapted are also using the stored energy in existing fat cells. I think combo would create the water loss from fat cells, and therefore fat cells shrinkage. It would be much easier for a fat adapted person to hold onto the weight loss rather then a non-fa because a non-fa would tend towards refilling the fat cells first.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
    ...Enter the potato hack. That flips the K/Na ratio on its head in the matter of a couple days. You would start to notice immediate weight-loss via water, which people are. In addition, people who are in a caloric deficit and are fat adapted are also using the stored energy in existing fat cells. I think combo would create the water loss from fat cells, and therefore fat cells shrinkage. It would be much easier for a fat adapted person to hold onto the weight loss rather then a non-fa because a non-fa would tend towards refilling the fat cells first.
    So much to ponder. I told Otzi when he started this, "Quit talking science, stick to results". Well, the science is very interesting!

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobert View Post
    A poster on FTA hit the nail on the head with the discussion of Potassium and Sodium ratios in regards to this hack. The more and more research that is being done, the more it is being discovered that the ratios of the pathways used by various vitamins and minerals is a huge key to controlling inflammation and therefore weight loss and general health. Think the Omega-3 verse Omega-6 ratio. The Iodine, Floride, and Bromide ratio. The Iron, Copper, Zinc, and Selenium ratio. Now this brings in the Potassium, Magnesium, and Sodium ratio. What is the correct ratio? Beats me, but there are not any good studies suggesting what is ideal, just what the mins are before serious health problems arise. Why do we have a taste for salt? Probably because we spent a huge amount of our history near the ocean and brackish water. If such is the case, then we are consuming way to much sodium(even being paleo, think bacon, sausage, etc...), and therefore holding to much water in an inflamed state. Where is the water being held, muscles and fat cells are probable candidates.

Enter the potato hack. That flips the K/Na ratio on its head in the matter of a couple days. You would start to notice immediate weight-loss via water, which people are. In addition, people who are in a caloric deficit and are fat adapted are also using the stored energy in existing fat cells. I think combo would create the water loss from fat cells, and therefore fat cells shrinkage. It would be much easier for a fat adapted person to hold onto the weight loss rather then a non-fa because a non-fa would tend towards refilling the fat cells first.
    Very interesting... I constantly feel like I don't get enough potassium and magnesium in my diet. The more I read the more I want to give this a try!

calee is offline Senior Member
    I posted this on the other thread first, but see that this is the new one so copied it here.

I finally read 99 pages and decided to give it a try. I was waiting to see if people experienced regain when going back primal. I recently put on 4 pounds and hope to shed them along with a few more. Not sure how many days I'll make it.

Female 62, 5'4"

Day 1 - 147.2. I ate 1.5 pounds sweet potatoes, 1 pound Yukon Gold. Gold were not until dinner and I got very hungry about an hour later. Felt better on the sweet potatoes. Salt was only condiment yesterday. I'm not yet willing to give up my 2T of half and half in my morning cup of decaf.

Day 2 - 146 taters are cooked and ready to take to the office. Need to go buy more sweet potatoes!

Page 16 of 54 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast