Page 10 of 54 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Potato Diet (PPD) page 10

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Yal someone should probably let Mark know the short-term thinking stuff might be skewed

Fall Foods: Why Seasonal Eating Primes the Body for Fat Burning | Mark's Daily Apple

Seasonality, Climate and Diet | Mark's Daily Apple

Carb Refeeding and Weight Loss | Mark's Daily Apple

Okay we can argue this all day obviously (weeks and weeks & months actually) so let's look at it another way, 80-20. If tators or fasting are my 20%, that means I can do it for 6 days a month, either all at once or a day here and there. Or maybe a meal here or there, how crazy is that?!

Another way some of us are looking at it, is it has become part of the lifestyle Call it a refeed, call it a hack, call it a tator fast, whatever you call it, it is a permanent fixture in my little bag of tricks now.

I get what you are saying about newbies though.
    Last edited by gopintos; 11-17-2012 at 02:32 PM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    I'm not going to spend the time to pick apart and quote everything, but upon reading those articles, none of them even remotely support this idea. Mark most certainly doesn't suggest anything close to a 100% potato based diet.

And the spirit of the 80/20 idea is not so you can spend six full days eating non-primal. It's to allow a small amount of the non-primal foods scattered fairly evenly into your diet which you might enjoy so that you stay on the wagon so to speak.
    -Chuck

otzi Guest
    Mark most certainly doesn't suggest anything close to a 100% potato based diet
    NOBODY around here supports a 100% potato based diet. SOME around here are finding awesome success in getting stubborn fat to move after trying many other primal hacks like IF'ing, ketogenic dieting, calorie counting, and cold water therapy. When one embarks on a potato diet, they eat 100% potatoes for 1-2 weeks. This generally results in a 5-10 pound weight loss. It also helps people see they aren't really stuck at a certain weight and helps control bad eating habits. Many studies referenced earlier in this thread show increased insulin sensitivity and improved gut flora also result from a short term 100% potato diet.

We might be surprised what Mark Sisson would think. His wife is a pescatarian (fish eater) and son is a vegan... Just speculating, but I'll bet Mark would like what we are doing with this potato diet. Wonder how we channel him?
    Last edited by otzi; 11-17-2012 at 03:08 PM.

I know everyone has beat a dead horse. These threads started back early October so I don't have anything new to add, except - and this is just me not anyone else - I do feel like potatoes are primal, and though I had never used the 80/20 argument before, I think even if tators werent primal, it would fall into that category and it is my 20 to do with how I please, but since they are primal it is definite okay. But that is for me, not for everyone.

Also do think Mark clearly says eating seasonal is okay and if Grok stumbled upon a big pile of something, he would not pass it up because it wasnt the right balance of carb to protein to fat. And if I recall, his next book is going to be about Seasonal Eating. But I could be wrong, and who knows what the content will be. You may very well be correct.

Kilian is offline Senior Member
    Enough with these stupid "primal" rules. Potatoes come from the earth. Eat them and enjoy them. If you want to eat nothing but potatoes for a few days, great. It's not Gorditas from Taco Bell, it's potatoes. If you want to get all ancestral, it makes 100% perfect sense that hunter gatherers might subsist on one food source for several days if they don't have access to anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by impala454 View Post
    And the spirit of the 80/20 idea is not so you can spend six full days eating non-primal. It's to allow a small amount of the non-primal foods scattered fairly evenly into your diet which you might enjoy so that you stay on the wagon so to speak.
    I would argue that "scattered fairly evenly" is relative to the context of time. If we're talking about 80/20 in a week, yeah that's not even, but if we're talking 80/20 in a year, or several years, it will certainly even out.

Anyway, I dub this hack a success. I lost 5 pounds of something in 3 days. And guess what, I upped my weight in deadlifts, squats, and pendlay rows. AKA I didn't lose any strength, I actually gained some.
    Last edited by Kilian; 11-17-2012 at 03:18 PM.

Hay man, go clean out your message box

Quote Originally Posted by Kilian View Post
    Anyway, I dub this hack a success. I lost 5 pounds of something in 3 days. And guess what, I upped my weight in deadlifts, squats, and pendlay rows. AKA I didn't lose any strength, I actually gained some.
    Fantastic!!!

AlexAgain is offline Junior Member
    I did 10 days of just potatoes the end of October after reading the original posts. baked with either spices (mostly dill) or a bit of hot sauce. nothing else except water and tea. averaged between 900-1200 calories/day (I am 130lb female 5'4 so this is not really low calorie)
    I lost weight and inches. started at 137 and ended at 130 and I didn't measure my waist but pants are definitely looser.
    but the big thing that happened is previously I was eating primal since January. I struggled terribly with sugar/carb cravings that did not seem to be lessening over time. and once or twice a month I was giving in to them and binging on cakes/candy and soda. I tweeked my diet several times (more fat, less fat, cut out fruit etc) and could not seem to kick the cravings. starting about day 4 of just potatoes and continuing through the month that has passed since I finished I am not struggling at all with carb cravings. So my big success with the potato experiment was not the weight loss (which I have kept off) but to have finally kicked my carb cravings. Kind of funny that I did it by eating only carbs for 10day but I don't need to understand it to reap the benefits.

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilian View Post
    Enough with these stupid "primal" rules.
    Noted. I remember jumping Otzi and telling him to quit with all the science, now I find myself doing it, too. It's not rocket science. We're not saying 'Eat Twinkies', it's potatoes. Puh'Ta'To's. Puh'Taht' O's.

tatertot is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexAgain View Post
    I did 10 days of just potatoes the end of October after reading the original posts. baked with either spices (mostly dill) or a bit of hot sauce. nothing else except water and tea. averaged between 900-1200 calories/day (I am 130lb female 5'4 so this is not really low calorie) ... I lost weight and inches. ... my big success with the potato experiment was not the weight loss (which I have kept off) but to have finally kicked my carb cravings. Kind of funny that I did it by eating only carbs for 10day but I don't need to understand it to reap the benefits.
    You did it right! Love it! I had kind of the same problems you described, and the potato diet helped me beat it.

I would find myself prowling the pantry for primal goodies well after dinner and all day on the weekend. When I was fasting, it was no problem, somehow, when I told myself I was fasting, I magically wasn't hungry. I could go 48 hours no problem eating nothing at all and felt it was 'very primal', problem was, after 4 months of doing that once a week, I had lost almost no weight. It seemed I should have lost a pound or two each week, but no.

Then I came across the PPD. At first, it sounded stupid as I had sworn off potatoes over 2 years earlier. The more I read, the more I was intrigued to try. It couldn't be any worse than fasting--getting zero nutrition vs. getting some nutrition.

I ate nothing but potatoes for 2 weeks, fixed very plain, boiled or baked with just salt and pepper (maybe ketchup...). After the first day, it gave me the same mindset I had when fasting. I didn't crave anything. I didn't really even feel hungry when I was eating, it was just sort of like filling up the car at the gas station--no emotion. Stepping on the scale every morning made me giggle like a school-girl. "Down another pound!" I'd yell to my sleeping wife. "Huh? Great..zzzz" she'd reply.

When I was closing in on day 14, I felt myself thinking "I should do this another 14 days" kind of like a whole-30, I still have a few pounds I'd like to lose....but on Day 15, I got up and fixed a big 4 egg omelette with bacon and cheese. It tasted so wonderful, I kept looking at the bacon package to see what kind it was because I had never tasted bacon so good, even though it was the same kind I'd eaten for years.

I've been eating normally for over a month now and I am able to keep the snack monster under control. I can see now why my weight wasn't cooperating, I was eating when I wasn't hungry. I saw some people on TV losing weight wearing a feeding tube in their nose. I'd love to show those folks the potato diet!

So, when to do it again? I'm thinking right after New Year's would be a good time. Probably just 1 week this time as I want to throw a few tweaks at it.

Page 10 of 54 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast