Thread: Public Health career as a Primal Individual... is it possible? page

mmoss is offline Junior Member

Public Health career as a Primal Individual... is it possible?

Shop Now
    Hello,

I work for a small non-profit in the cardiovascular disease space. Also, I've been living a mostly primal lifestyle for over a year. I'm an avid reader of MDA and I subscribe to most of the beliefs of the paleo-sphere. I still have left some room for improvement in my own life, but I'm working on closing those gaps.

That being said, I travel to a lot of the major medical conferences around the country, and sometimes even international meetings, too. My organization also sits on think-tanks and participates in creating policy and public health programs around a specific cardiovascular disease. I'm having difficulty being as good of a leader as I'd like to be in my job because so many of my personal beliefs do not mesh very well with the conventional wisdom about nutrition and health out there. We work with the American Heart Association, and other professional medical associations.

There is largely still the belief that fat is bad, well, you all know what CW says. Although, I was pleasantly surprised to be in a session recently with research being presented that "not all saturated fats are created equally," and there could be some good properties to fats like MCTs, including coconut oil. Of course I thought to myself, "that's a no brainer," but some of the moderators were still skeptical themselves about the beneficial properties of coconut oil or MCTs.

I suppose the point I'm getting to here is that I'd like some inspiration or guidance as to whether I should figure out a way to jump ship and get into a field that doesn't stray so much from my own nutritional and lifestyle beliefs, or if I should see this as an opportunity to have a huge positive impact in the field of public health.

Thanks,
    Melissa

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member
    i think you should leave brochures scattered about the conference rooms you happen to be in at any given time
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

ajb0203 is offline Junior Member
    I think you should stay. It might be an uphill battle, but I think that some people in the Establishment are coming around.

Anecdotal evidence only, but I met with a bioengineering professor a few weeks ago who told me how a colleague at a neurology conference turned him onto gluten sensitivity as a possible cause of his wife's health problems. This was just in the past year that he learned about gluten, which is sort of disturbing, since I have been aware of this lifestyle/eating choice since 2004 and I'm not in the neuro/medical research field. (His research is in Alzheimer's and Parkinson's, and I first read about it in connection with MS. . .also a neuro condition.) However, the prof had really great things to say about going gluten-free. I think those of us who are not doctors are needed to help expose doctors to new ideas that they may not have heard about in their traditional training.