Thread: Soreness Question page

Karock is offline Member

Soreness Question

Shop Now
    I'm pretty new around here, been chowing paleo and working out like a caveman and reading a LOT on here for about a month. Even set up my own gym :

(Little one is about 35lbs, big one is about 70lbs. That weird spot is a stump. Pick up rock, hurl it at stump. Pick up rock, military press, throw at stump. Pick up rock, curls, throw at stump. Its a lot of fun, neighbors think I'm odd.)

Also have a bodyweight station in the house, using that for pullups, pushups, leg lifts, as well as a bent bar for curls, squats, mil. presses.. I'm pretty well set up and having a great time & seeing results. My weight hasn't dropped much, but I'm in a belt loop, so my body is strategically reallocating previously mismanaged resources.

I busted my butt lifting on Tuesday, and would like to lift today, but I'm still a bit sore. I won't be able to work out tomorrow, but will on Saturday.

So the question. Should I lift through the soreness? Or should I rest it, have today be a move slowly a lot, and lift on Saturday?

Thanks in advance!

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Soreness is one of those things that isn't that easy to judge or quantify. I'd say if you feel up to training then go for it.

My general rule of thumb is if I can train, I do. If I waited until I was always soreness-free I doubt I'd get much done.

I like your home gym and programming set up. But I hope you're gradually getting further away from the stump. I have visions of you hurling a 70lb rock 50ft in a few years!

Karock is offline Member
    Sounds good. I decided to make it a (my first) tabata sprint day. Got a soundtrack, did a set.

Man that hurts... its coldish here, my lungs are burning.

Tomorrow will be a "move slowly" day, then lift hard again on Saturday.

And yea, move away from the stump until tiredness starts taking the distance away again.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    my body is strategically reallocating previously mismanaged resources
    I love this.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 215 x 3

bostonwolf is offline Senior Member
    You really should take one day off between any significant strength workout to give your body some time to begin repairing the muscle tears you've caused.

Soreness is natural though. Especially when you are a 42 year old geezer like me
    ----------
    Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.
    1/8/13: 303.5 | 2/12/13: 298.5 | 2/26/13 295 | 3/07/2013 291.5

Karock is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I love this.
    I originally used that a long time ago when, at a previous job, we fired someone that was just taking up space and our boss redistributed his salary among us that were doing the work. It was a small family company, worked out pretty well.