Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beef Jerky page

AJC
    AJC is offline Junior Member

Beef Jerky

Shop Now
    Hi All,

I am co-founder of a small beef jerky company located in the Boston area. We are in the process of developing a paleo-friendly jerky without soy sauce, HFCS, sugar, etc. in response to numerous requests at farmers markets where we sell our current products. My current debate is grass fed beef vs. conventional beef. I can sell a 1.75 ounce package of conventional for $3.00; however, for grass fed beef, I would need to charge close to $6.00. Obviously, grass fed beef is superior but I fear that I will price myself out of the market.

Personally, I have discovered paleo eating over the past few months and am hooked but am not strict (I consume conventional beef much more often than grass fed.)

Please provide your feedback.

Thanks!

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    We buy jerky at the farmer's market, I would prefer the less expensive without all the extra stuff. I am sure the grassfed would be wonderful, but it would be crazy to pay that for a snack!
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

AJC
    AJC is offline Junior Member
    Going the grass fed route would be preferred; however, all our jerkys are currently sliced top round beef. We are currently thinking of calling this new variety "Simply Primal" and it will consist of the following ingredients: Beef, water, salt, chili powder, red pepper, white pepper, and black pepper. It will be vacuum sealed for preservation (anticipated up to 6 months). Free six pack of this new variety to anyone who can come up with a better name (I am not crazy about Simply Primal).

Any additional feedback would be appreciated. We hope to bring this to market by the end of the year.

Thanks

drnemer is offline Member
    i get most of my jerky from Steves Original. I like the grass fed. but i do eat the non grassfed ones that have nuts with them.

I prefer grass fed. Also i prefer to be 0 carbs and little sodium curing process.

Rochxyde is offline Junior Member
    When picking out a jerky, what I first look for is one without the ingredients I'm trying eliminate. If it's made from grass-fed beed and reasonably priced -- even better. But I personally care more about the soy, HFCS and such.

Good luck on the name search!

I submit Carnivore Candy for the name search. My idea, no takers!

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mightstone2k View Post
    I submit Carnivore Candy for the name search. My idea, no takers!
    Nice. I like it.

As for grassfed etc. I am with Rochxyde. I can live with regular beef, it is the added crap I don't want.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

specsAreGrok is offline Senior Member
    Since it is the fat content of grain-fed beef that is the concern and jerky shouldn't have much fat at all, I wouldn't think using grainfed for jerky would be much of an issue for primal folk.

bostonwolf is offline Senior Member
    ^I agree. With jerky, given the lean cuts involved, I don't think it's as big a concern as it would be with what kind of steak I'd like to eat.
    ----------
    Primal since August 2012. CW: 317.
    1/8/13: 303.5 | 2/12/13: 298.5 | 2/26/13 295 | 3/07/2013 291.5

Daemonized is online now Senior Member
    I love jerky and I make my own in massive quantities.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast