Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any tips for dry lips? page

KG
    KG is offline Senior Member

Any tips for dry lips?

Lately I've had a sudden case of very chapped lips, likely due to winter rolling in. I've never had dry lips before at all before in my life, but I had an Accutane course about a year or so ago that left me with minor skin issues (in terms of dryness). Those problems have improved considerably as my body repairs itself, but my lips aren't holding up very well this year, and I'd like some advice for moisturising them / helping them heal in harsh weather. Last year while I was on my course, I just used a big dap of coconut oil smeared over my mouth to help -- which it did, quite a bit -- but unfortunately it's not holding up too well this time around.

My lips are particularly cracked and sore at the very top of my mouth, which makes smiling incredibly painful to do. They're also drying out at the very bottom today, but what confuses me is that my lips themselves are nice and plump; it's just the edges that are suffering a lot. During my course last year, I had soreness at both sides of my mouth (again, on the edges) which made talking nearly impossible, so maybe there's a pattern here; it's the edges of my mouth that dry out and cause pain.

I have a tub of Vaseline sitting on my shelf that I'm going to use for the very first time for work, but I don't want to become reliant on it. Can anyone lend a hand? Thanks!

patski is offline Senior Member
    I swear by medicated Blistex, especially because I am prone to cold sores during the colder months if I don't wear chapstick of SOME kind.

I found a nice chapstick from Whole Paycheck; it's their house brand, cost me only $2, I think. Peppermint. I dig it.

I find gently scrubbing your lips with your toothbrush does wonders to remove dead skin. Applying a layer of shea butter before bed works very well too.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I like Carmex

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Aquaphor
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KG View Post
    Lately I've had a sudden case of very chapped lips, likely due to winter rolling in. I've never had dry lips before at all before in my life, but I had an Accutane course about a year or so ago that left me with minor skin issues (in terms of dryness). Those problems have improved considerably as my body repairs itself, but my lips aren't holding up very well this year, and I'd like some advice for moisturising them / helping them heal in harsh weather. Last year while I was on my course, I just used a big dap of coconut oil smeared over my mouth to help -- which it did, quite a bit -- but unfortunately it's not holding up too well this time around.

My lips are particularly cracked and sore at the very top of my mouth, which makes smiling incredibly painful to do. They're also drying out at the very bottom today, but what confuses me is that my lips themselves are nice and plump; it's just the edges that are suffering a lot. During my course last year, I had soreness at both sides of my mouth (again, on the edges) which made talking nearly impossible, so maybe there's a pattern here; it's the edges of my mouth that dry out and cause pain.

I have a tub of Vaseline sitting on my shelf that I'm going to use for the very first time for work, but I don't want to become reliant on it. Can anyone lend a hand? Thanks!
    For cracked, bleeding corners of the mouth, sometimes the underlying cause is infection; yeast predominantly (candida?). Try upping your intake of riboflavin (B2) and zinc. Even if it did not start out as a fungal infection, those cracks can be breeding grounds. I think it is safe to try an OTC anti-fungal cream on the cracks to see if it helps.

I only say this because this year your remedy isn't working.

Ouch. Avoid licking your lips at all costs.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

NowhereMan is offline Senior Member
    I can't personally vouch for this personally since I too use Blistex, from the little blue jar, but...

A Cantonese friend of mine was telling me just yesterday how "Cantonese people eat everything" meaning they eat all sorts of animal parts most people would consider waste; specifically pork skin, chicken feet, and pig blood. He says they never get chapped lips, dry skin, etc. because of all the gelatin and connective tissue in their diet.

I personally can't justify paying for food outside my college meal plan at the moment, but if anyone else is interested in giving this a go I (and probably others) would like to hear about it.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    If you want to try something natural use heat some coconut oil and add a little bit of bees wax until it melts. It'll make a lipbalm that you can put in a tin. You can also add other medications or oils like peperment oil.

You can actually buy tube kits Lip Balm Kit | Natures Garden Wholesale candle making supplies, soap making supplies Ohio, Fragrance oils

I hate acutane. I'm wondering if that's what gave my daughter hypothyroidism
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

kitana is offline Senior Member
    For cracked, bleeding corners of the mouth, sometimes the underlying cause is infection; yeast predominantly (candida?). Try upping your intake of riboflavin (B2) and zinc. Even if it did not start out as a fungal infection, those cracks can be breeding grounds. I think it is safe to try an OTC anti-fungal cream on the cracks to see if it helps.
    This. I had what I thought were particularly dry, cracked lips one year, and my doctor noticed, and to my surprise recommended I try an anti-fungal. Turns out it they weren't healing because there was yeast growing in them. The cracks had given it a nice environment to grow in. I used a cream for about a week (just around the corners and edges) and it was gone.

start with the basics: drink more water. and try something simple and natural like coconut oil on them. if those solutions don't work, then maybe it is something that requires more serious attention

AuroraB is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I use lanolin. Works like a charm and lasts on the lips longer than coconut oil. You'd probably find it at a pharmacy in the baby/nursing section, or just ask.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast