• My anxiety is a little worse

6 5.83%
  • My anxiety is much worse

7 6.80%
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anxiety and Paleo

Hybrid View

Anxiety and Paleo

I have a very brilliant professor that I semi-disagree with on nutrition. Today, he said in his clinical experience, patients on the high-fat and high-protein Paleo diet tend to have their anxiety worsen. I, of course, immediately clarified that paleo didn't always mean high-fat and protein and it could be very high in carbohydrate. I also reminded him that I used to advise people transitioning to Paleo/Primal/PHD/GAPS and every person had better anxiety control or it disappeared completely.

I want to know YOUR experiences. I do realize that this poll may be a tad self-selecting as those that fail at this way of life may no longer frequent this board. I figure some info is better than none.

Just to give a better picture of him though, he does love bacon and is experimenting with intermittent fasting with patients. ;-)
    Last edited by jkr; 11-07-2012 at 11:10 PM.

I can say that my anxiety has not been any WORSE on the primal/paleo diet, so from my personal n=1, he is wrong about it being worse on low carb. On the other hand, I don't especially think that it's gotten any better either... So it's also not a magic cure for anxiety either.

There's plenty of people who feel absolutely miserable doing VLC, or Very Low Carb.

Me, I just pop a pill for my depression. LOL

No, I'm not kidding.

Also: Mindfulness meditation. It's saving my life. Literally.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

I have been suffering depression my whole life, and I can say I've felt no worse since starting paleo/primal. Just my 2 cents.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

I have crazy anxiety- (scared of everything like a 6 yr old). It has not gotten worse by any means. I've actually learned to "let go" a bit and relax. So I'd say my anxiety has gotten a bit better!

Paleo made no difference to my anxiety however I seem to have better mood in general on paleo, and thats led me to being led anxious.

Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    Paleo made no difference to my anxiety however I seem to have better mood in general on paleo, and thats led me to being led anxious.
    Thank's AMonkey, that's exactly what I experienced too. I think because consuming less 'fast' carbs, it keeps your energy on a static level and therefore prevents you from having those mood-swings during the day.

Jenni

no change in my anxiety...but i have been totally anxiety free and cool as a cucumber for about 6 years. it's my superpower.

Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    no change in my anxiety...but i have been totally anxiety free and cool as a cucumber for about 6 years. it's my superpower.
    Did you do anything in particular to get there? It's amazing how weakening a few bouts of anxiety attacks can be.

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Did you do anything in particular to get there? It's amazing how weakening a few bouts of anxiety attacks can be.
    i did...sort of. when i was in grad school i taught full time at a school for troubled boys (sex offenders, arsonists, drug dealers, etc.). they were two sources of crazy stress and anxiety, which followed a busy college career and ended six years of insomnia. it was pretty hellish, but in the last class i had to take i read a book that had a chapter on reflection. it clicked with me, and i started taking a step back to look at everything in my life. then i finished that term, quit my job, taught an easy load of classes at the local college, and just took some time to reflect (easier said than done...it takes practice, kind of like meditation). since making that decision, despite whatever hard times come my way, i've remained the most even keeled person i know.
    i will say that i've gotten even better at this since losing weight, or moreso since going primal. probably because of the increased awareness, energy and balanced body chemistry.