• My anxiety is a little worse

6 5.83%
  • My anxiety is much worse

7 6.80%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Anxiety and Paleo page 5

patrojan is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I have started a new diet with no meat/dairy/wheat/corn/soy/eggs and on day 11 my anxiety is so bad I am pacing the house. I decided to give it a try after a few people told me how great they felt and I am just the opposite. When I was eating more like the paleo diet I felt calm and my anxiety was almost zero.

Bear is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    I have a very brilliant professor that I semi-disagree with on nutrition. Today, he said in his clinical experience, patients on the high-fat and high-protein Paleo diet tend to have their anxiety worsen. I, of course, immediately clarified that paleo didn't always mean high-fat and protein and it could be very high in carbohydrate. I also reminded him that I used to advise people transitioning to Paleo/Primal/PHD/GAPS and every person had better anxiety control or it disappeared completely.

I want to know YOUR experiences. I do realize that this poll may be a tad self-selecting as those that fail at this way of life may no longer frequent this board. I figure some info is better than none.

Just to give a better picture of him though, he does love bacon and is experimenting with intermittent fasting with patients. ;-)
    I completely agree with your professor, from personal experience.

Kwaggz is offline Senior Member
    I can say that eating Primally helped with my mood, and I think it was mostly because of the gluten removal. One day I realized my temper was more even, I was less irritable, less sad, and I really was smiling a lot more. I think once I switch to hormone free bc things will change even more for the better. I don't know that I was anxious, more like a foggy depression, but my moods stabilized so much!

Sonoran hotdog is offline Senior Member
    The poll results might be confounded with the number of people who also added exercise to their daily routine as part of going primal. Regular exercise has been scientifically proven to help with depression, and it is the main tool I have used throughout my life to cope with anxiety. It will be hard to tell of the people who polled "gone" or "much better" whether it was the result of exercise or diet. Causality is such a nuisance!

KimchiNinja is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jkr View Post
    I have a very brilliant professor that I semi-disagree with on nutrition. Today, he said in his clinical experience, patients on the high-fat and high-protein Paleo diet tend to have their anxiety worsen.
    Naw, that doesn't make sense.

Looking macro-level it doesn't really match the observations. Hunter/gatherers (who largely ate high-fat diets) were typically described as laid-back calm people. While the USA and their high-carb diet is clearly an anxious society, with lots of people on drugs to try to stabilize.

I'd say a lot of anxiety is really just excess sugar consumption, plus a lack of mood stabilizing fats (in other words SAD).

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    Originally Posted by jkr

I have a very brilliant professor that I semi-disagree with on nutrition. Today, he said in his clinical experience, patients on the high-fat and high-protein Paleo diet tend to have their anxiety worsen. I, of course, immediately clarified that paleo didn't always mean high-fat and protein and it could be very high in carbohydrate. I also reminded him that I used to advise people transitioning to Paleo/Primal/PHD/GAPS and every person had better anxiety control or it disappeared completely.

I want to know YOUR experiences. I do realize that this poll may be a tad self-selecting as those that fail at this way of life may no longer frequent this board. I figure some info is better than none.

Just to give a better picture of him though, he does love bacon and is experimenting with intermittent fasting with patients. ;-)
    Has your professor considered the effect starting a new diet with restrictions and social difficulties might bring? I don't think orthorexia is necessarily common on the paleo diet more than any other, but who hasn't slipped and thought, omg I shouldn't have eaten that, I'll never eat it again?

TROLL265 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KimchiNinja View Post
    Naw, that doesn't make sense.

Looking macro-level it doesn't really match the observations. Hunter/gatherers (who largely ate high-fat diets) were typically described as laid-back calm people. While the USA and their high-carb diet is clearly an anxious society, with lots of people on drugs to try to stabilize.

I'd say a lot of anxiety is really just excess sugar consumption, plus a lack of mood stabilizing fats (in other words SAD).
    Agreed.
    100% Primal if it wasn't for beer and wine...

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by patrojan View Post
    I have started a new diet with no meat/dairy/wheat/corn/soy/eggs and on day 11 my anxiety is so bad I am pacing the house. I decided to give it a try after a few people told me how great they felt and I am just the opposite. When I was eating more like the paleo diet I felt calm and my anxiety was almost zero.
    What are you eating? I am guessing that you changed your meals in such a way that you are missing something that you need. Maybe not enough protein or carbs, or who knows! Maybe just not enough food in general! If you felt fine on paleo, do that!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Artemis67 is offline Senior Member
    My own anxiety has improved so much. It's not entirely gone, but what remains is much more manageable.

One of the biggest sources of anxiety for me was constant food cravings, obsessive thoughts about food, and the anxiety that went hand-in-hand with binge eating. But eating Primal removes virtually all the foods that trigger my insanity (especially wheat, corn, and sugar). As long as I stay away from those foods, my disordered relationship with food, and the anxiety that produces, is kept at bay.

But beyond that, I've also noticed that my moods are much more stable overall. I have very little free-floating anxiety. I'm also much less reactive. It takes a lot to get me angry these days, but when I am angry I stay much more focused and controlled, and don't fly off the handle.

Timthetaco Guest
    My anxiety's gotten significantly worse, but I was also empowered to stop taking anti-depressants when I started on a low carb diet, so...

It was better on a high-meat low carb diet than it is now, but that doesn't surprise me because in my experience anxiety is entirely related to gut health. I was able to avoid the problem for the most part when I didn't eat many plants, but I didn't fix it. And I still haven't.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast