34 33.01%
  • My anxiety is a little worse

6 5.83%
  • My anxiety is much worse

7 6.80%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Anxiety and Paleo page 4

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I've certainly seen a general drop in anxiety and effects of stress, other things being equal. I've had more than my fair share of stress during the past couple of years, and somehow come out feeling much happier and healthier and relaxed.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

mamagault is offline Member
    Mine is generally better. I have been struggling lately, but I think it is more a function of the winter and lack of sunshine than anything. I started supplementing with Kalish's l-tryptophan/l-tyrosine protocol for about 2 weeks, and I am noticing a marked difference in the last 2-3 days. Making sure I eat enough fat also plays a huge role. If I eat enough fat, I don't crave the sweets that cause my anxiety to worsen.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    I have been living my lifestyle according to the PB parameters for over a year and a half. I, too have had my share of stressful situations, but the way I've dealt with them was/is totally different from my pre-PB days. I am much, much more calm and composed. I'd say anxiety (something I experienced quite often before) is now not existent in my life. I'm not sure if it's a result of my diet and fitness regimen, or it's simply a sign of aging, LOL!

biko is offline Senior Member
    Dropped first, now it's back like never before!

krsn89 is offline Member
    For the most part, my anxiety has improved. My doctor has been prescribing me Ativan since I was 16 and while I still have some laying around, I haven't used it in a long while. My anxiety DID get worse when I was doing VLC/keto. Not at first, but later on when I knew I was no longer thriving on it, I was experiencing terrible anxiety. My mood has improved a LOT since adding starches every day.

phoenixjen is offline Junior Member
    I used to have constant anxiety and panic attacks when I was vegan. After becoming an omnivore this stopped. I had no idea it was diet related, since the timing was shortly after giving birth, I assumed it was a life change due to becoming a mother. I haven't noticed any further difference since going paleo; however, I do seem to be handling stress better.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    My depression improved dramatically after I cut out gluten. It could have been conincidence (finally finished school) but I do not think it was.

My anxiety however has increased over the same time. Some of it is life/job stress, but I think some of it may be brought on by fasting or maybe just the fact that some days I feel like I spend my life in the kitchen cooking, but mostly, washing dishes. After about 2 hours I NEED a break from the kitchen or I start to get anxious and cranky.

freerangepiglings is offline Senior Member
    I have had huge problems with anxiety and depression all my life, much worse in recent years. Treatments like CBT have failed to help.

Since going primal I have noticed a marked but not miraculous improvement in my mood and my anxiety levels. I'd say that my anxiety is still one of the remaining three challenges that primal has not completely fixed (abxiety, sleep and restless legs are the three), but nonetheless it has helped. Not a magic bullet, but a definite improvement.

Geeknik is offline Member
    I was clinically diagnosed with depression and social anxiety disorder when I was in college and was in therapy and on prescription meds for it. Then that got expensive so I switched to St. John's Wort. I've quit taking it since I started a moderate to high fat, moderate protein, low-carb, primal diet because my mood improved drastically for the better. Not even PMS or SAD on a cloudy, overcast day bothers me like it did in the past. I noticed my improved mood, greater energy level around the second week of the diet before I even noticed any weight loss. Two months later my mood is still even and upbeat.
    Last edited by Geeknik; 04-25-2013 at 11:15 AM.

CheeseFiend is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I don't have anxiety or depression problems with a big P, but I have noticed that after only a few weeks on a high fat/no grain diet that I don't fidget anymore. I've been a chronic hair-twiddler, nail-biter, lip-chewer since I was in my early teens - and your thread has just made me realise I'm not doing any of that anymore. At all. I had to cut my nails for the first time in twenty years earlier this week.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast