6 5.83%
  • My anxiety is much worse

7 6.80%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Anxiety and Paleo page 3

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Did you do anything in particular to get there? It's amazing how weakening a few bouts of anxiety attacks can be.
    i did...sort of. when i was in grad school i taught full time at a school for troubled boys (sex offenders, arsonists, drug dealers, etc.). they were two sources of crazy stress and anxiety, which followed a busy college career and ended six years of insomnia. it was pretty hellish, but in the last class i had to take i read a book that had a chapter on reflection. it clicked with me, and i started taking a step back to look at everything in my life. then i finished that term, quit my job, taught an easy load of classes at the local college, and just took some time to reflect (easier said than done...it takes practice, kind of like meditation). since making that decision, despite whatever hard times come my way, i've remained the most even keeled person i know.
    i will say that i've gotten even better at this since losing weight, or moreso since going primal. probably because of the increased awareness, energy and balanced body chemistry.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Interesting. Thanks (both of you)

snoops is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    I read "The Mood Cure" and have taken 5-HTP for depression and L-Tyrosine for anxiety (diagnosed with both 8 years ago) for about a year now, on and off as needed. They help immensely. For the first time, therapy is DOING something for me because I feel like I can actually analyze and learn from my life and feelings. It's amazing. I think the supplements helped set up a good platform for the therapy to be truly effective.

My mood plummets when I eat refined sugar. More than a (flour-based) cookie and I'm screwed. It takes a few days sugar-free for me to recover.

Snoops, you might be interested in this book. If your dopamine receptors are really "faulty" supplementing could help where food alone does not.

Thanks namelesswonder. I remembered you had spoken about that book before and I was going to ask you for the title. Going out to get it now. I really dont want to live in a sub normal anxious state for the rest of my life. And am committed to no grains.

citygirl is offline Junior Member

headaches

Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post

I have been having some nagging headaches, where my head doesn't actually hurt but I feel some tingling and mild jabbing. I think they're probably tension headaches, but it could be just a result of eating more grains and/or sugar.
    I am so glad you posted this. I have been diagnosed with chronic migraines and I have a headache every day. Every. Day. They present in a lot of different manners- typical migraine with the pounding, squeezing feeling inside the head etc. Those typical ones don't bother me. Recently I have been having tingling and jabbing and for some reason these are the ones that freak me out- probably because most people have experienced the classic headaches but I haven't run across anyone else with these. Your post makes me feel so much better.

But the reason I was reading the post was anxiety. Just going primal didn't stop my anxiety but finally quitting coffee made a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by citygirl View Post
    I am so glad you posted this. I have been diagnosed with chronic migraines and I have a headache every day. Every. Day. They present in a lot of different manners- typical migraine with the pounding, squeezing feeling inside the head etc. Those typical ones don't bother me. Recently I have been having tingling and jabbing and for some reason these are the ones that freak me out- probably because most people have experienced the classic headaches but I haven't run across anyone else with these. Your post makes me feel so much better.

But the reason I was reading the post was anxiety. Just going primal didn't stop my anxiety but finally quitting coffee made a huge difference.
    Glad that helped, they are quite annoying and sometimes scary because they don't make sense so to speak. These definitely caused anxiety for me because I couldn't make sense of them but I'm trying to go grain/sugar free again and will see if they go away as a result. I can't tell if they're strongly related but it could be.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    iniQuity Julia Ross (Mood Cure)has a section on marijuana.

http://books.google.com/books?id=SdZ...ijuana&f=false
    Last edited by Urban Forager; 11-08-2012 at 07:37 PM.

newberrycrater is offline Senior Member
    I used to take SAM-e for depression, but once I changed my diet I no longer needed it. I know you didn't ask about depression but thought I'd mention it. As for anxiety, I still have some but it is about stressful/unpleasant things like going to the dentist or job interviews. Chromium picalinate supplementation alievated my heart-pounding panicky reactions to things like a knock on the door, the phone ringing, or seeing a spider. I had reached the point that I was scared of being scared as the reaction was so stressful. But only after a few days of taking the chromium I felt much better. I firmly believe that malnutrition is the root cause of much mental illness.

JenniRose is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMonkey View Post
    Paleo made no difference to my anxiety however I seem to have better mood in general on paleo, and thats led me to being led anxious.
    Thank's AMonkey, that's exactly what I experienced too. I think because consuming less 'fast' carbs, it keeps your energy on a static level and therefore prevents you from having those mood-swings during the day.

Jenni

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Thanks. I feel that any desire to do it now is mostly nostalgic, ie remember what fun I had. Luckily those are easily erased or over shadowed by the bad times and I'm more driven by the idea of being drug-free nowadays. It's more motivating to me to stay off it than it ever was before, and so I think I'll be fine. I am also sure returning to a more strict primal diet will do wonders for my mental health and all other things.

Thanks for the link though I enjoyed reading it.

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I think you should have another gradation or several in your survey. "Somewhat" better instead of jumping straight to "much" better. Although there's always going to be an individual twist on whatever choices there are!

Anyway, I had gotten myself into an awful state before starting primal, including terrifying anxiety/panic that led me to make some very bad choices from time to time.

The first 10-18 months of primal were amazing for my enhanced ability to cope with daily ups and downs. I think it's the taking control of your life aspect that does a lot for us initially. For me, also, sleeping well for the first time in many years. Then as other people have noted ITT: cutting out processed foods, improving gut health, eliminating the rushes and crashes -- all good for mental health and personal balance.

I've been primal for roughly 25 months and in the last five or six months have slid back toward some darker days, or to be frank, a few dark weeks. I can however identify specific triggers, and I have much better coping strategies. I am hopeful that if I can catch a break here or there that I'll regain my positive trajectory. Fingers crossed!
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast