Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How can i make syrupy sweet potatos like you get from a can? page 2

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by j3nn View Post
    We roast them with butter and maple syrup. They are dandy candies!

^ This! +1

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Take a sweet potato, dampen the skin with water, make a small slit in the skin. Wrap it in aluminum foil, bake at 350 degrees F for an hour+.

Wrapping them tightly in aluminum foil after wetting the skin while baking at a lower temperature for a long time will slowly steam and caramelize them. You really want to put a cookie sheet under them because they will likely leak, and if sweet potato syrup drips on the bottom of the oven it turns into a thick, viscous, black asphalt-like goop. It is awful. Do not make the mistake of baking them on the racks.

Sweet potatoes with higher sugar contents will work best. If you can find Japanese Satsumaimo's...you just hit the jackpot.

http://calorielab.com/news/2008/04/2...-sweet-potato/
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 11-09-2012 at 09:53 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    I started making a mash for holidays instead of those sickenly sweet potatoes with marshmallows. I boil 2.5lbs peeled sweet potatoes until tender, beat them with 2 large eggs, 1-2T maple syrup, 1T vanilla, 1t salt and 2t lemon juice. Put them back into a baking dish and top with a small amount of brown sugar mixed with butter and chopped nuts (pistachios!). I bake them for about 40 more minutes at 350.

They are REALLY good! You could probably add your homemade marshmallows to the topping.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Take a sweet potato, dampen the skin with water, make a small slit in the skin. Wrap it in aluminum foil, bake at 350 degrees F for an hour+.

Wrapping them tightly in aluminum foil after wetting the skin while baking at a lower temperature for a long time will slowly steam and caramelize them. You really want to put a cookie sheet under them because they will likely leak, and if sweet potato syrup drips on the bottom of the oven it turns into a thick, viscous, black asphalt-like goop. It is awful. Do not make the mistake of baking them on the racks.

Sweet potatoes with higher sugar contents will work best. If you can find Japanese Satsumaimo's...you just hit the jackpot.

Satsuma-imo: Even better than a sweet potato, and now available in purple
    they also fry better than any other sweet in the entire universe
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Jamie Madrox is offline Senior Member
    So heres my plan:

chop up 2 sweet potatoes in cubes and put in a dish. melt 3 tbsp each of butter, maple syrup, and coconut sugar together and pour over the cubes and toss it all to coat. throw some foil over the pan and bake in the oven for 45 mins or so then take off the foil and cover with my homemade marshmallows and a coconut/cashew streusel topping.

sound good? will this give me the results i desire? or should i roast or bake the cubes before pouring the syrup mix over it?

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    sounds like dessert, 2 thumbs up
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

DinoHunter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Madrox View Post
    So heres my plan:

chop up 2 sweet potatoes in cubes and put in a dish. melt 3 tbsp each of butter, maple syrup, and coconut sugar together and pour over the cubes and toss it all to coat. throw some foil over the pan and bake in the oven for 45 mins or so then take off the foil and cover with my homemade marshmallows and a coconut/cashew streusel topping.

sound good? will this give me the results i desire? or should i roast or bake the cubes before pouring the syrup mix over it?
    Ive always baked the sweet potatoes whole before peeling/chop up, add butter/sweet stuff,then roast in a pan until I remember to take them out (usally 20-30 minutes incl. 5 minutes for mallow topping)
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    So heres my plan:

try this just once

take any sweet you desire.

wake up on day off. turn oven on to 225
    wrap said potato in foil after a liberal application of the fat of your choice ( butter, coconut, butter )

place in oven

come back in 4 - 6 hours.
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

simpstr is offline Senior Member
    all you do is add brown sugar, butter and bake. It will caramelize all by itself. I make them every thanksgiving.

such as bruces yams?

they use corn syrup but i was wondering how i would cook regular sweet potatoes and get that syrupy look and taste.
    Health is Wealth!

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If your sweet potato is not so sweet, I'm going to say honey would be a useful sweetener to add.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast