Thread: 250-300 carbs once in a while? page

George Clooney is offline Junior Member

Question 250-300 carbs once in a while?

Hi there :-)

Mark writes in his book that:

"Primal diehards who average very low carb intake over extended periods (50-100 grams or less per day) will likely benefit from having an occasional higher-carb day (maybe 250-300 grams of nonsugar carbs) to fine-tune insulin sensitivity"

Could anybody explain more about that? Or maybe point me to something to read about it? :-)

Cheers!

fit4lifegal is offline Member
    George,
    Look up "re-feeding" or "re-feed day"... I believe the premise isto not let the body get into a routine - the higher carb day throws it off... maybe some of the more experienced grokkers will jump in here and give you a better explanation.

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    It won't be beneficial for insulin resistant people. Check your blood sugar. If you are not overweight, you are likely metabolically great and cleared for a carb-up day but checking blood sugar numbers is always a good idea. If you are diabetic or have higher blood sugar then 120 when you take in a bunch of glucose don't even think about it!

Ok, thanks both :-) Seems pretty logical that a carb-up day once in a while could do good. I guess Grok also would have been eaten the majority of his carbs that way? Find - Munch - Continue whatever he was doing :-) ?

Timothy is offline Senior Member
    George, I just read that same passage last night. It's instructive for me because for the first few months of PB, I had such good results going very-low-carb that I became downright superstitious about eating any carbs at all (outside of those found in dark green veg and, ahem, sugar alcohols, which I basically ignore)

Three weekends ago I broke that superstition on the weekend with a few french fries. The oil was probably no good, but they didn't seem to hurt me at all. So the next weekend I tried a larger portion of fries, and that was great. Then last weekend I tried ice cream for the first time since going primal. I hoovered up an insane amount, then suddenly felt very full and had to stop. 30 minutes later I was slipping into a coma despite valiant resistance and ended up taking a three-hour nap. It was interesting to experience an insulin spike and glucose crash, followed by a sweaty cortisone reaction, for the first time since understanding the science. Yet the next day, though I felt a little heavier, I was full of fire and energy and worked out through a 20 hour fast, and everything was great again.

I don't recommend refeeding with those particular carbs, but it's clear to me now that a primal, fruit- or tuber-oriented carb refeed on the weekend can do you good if you're active. In fact, it's probably even better to have modest carb refeeds of 100-200g a couple times a week... but I'm still being very, very careful because the last thing I want is to reverse my metabolic progress.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey Timothy, nice to hear your experience :-) Iīm gonna read up more on this... Right now I'm just settling in to PB. I go very clean - but things are pretty new to me - I experince my appetite differently and I have to learn my body signals over again kind of. The other day I went out with a friend and had a steak and some salat. The steak was 300grams and when I was finished I felt that I could easily eat the same amount again. When I got home I made a steak on 400 grams with some veggies- and when I had eaten it I was just full not over-full. I was like WTF I just kicked down 700 grams of meat and a salat on top of the other things I had that day. But right now I'm just eating all what I want and stop when I'm full. Often I eat more than I did before when I was puring down pasta/rice and bread - but I feel much lighter and maybe my body just needs the juice. After all I keep pretty active and lift weights 3 times a week. The coolest thing is my energy level is much more even. I'm not hungry in between meals. And when I get hungry it's not the I HAVE TO EAT NOW kinda feeling - it's more a hunger I can choose to follow or not - and if I don't eat I still have good even energy. Ok, I got carried away. This was about re-feeding carbs :-D

anyway - did Mark write more in this somewhere?