Thread: Calisthenics Routine? page

VietnamGump is offline Junior Member

Calisthenics Routine?

Primal Fuel
    Hey guys. First post here. I am 21 years old and a full time student with a part time job. I used to be 170lbs and in shape but am now 200lbs and out of shape. Getting to the gym is just difficult. I have started doing calisthenics only for general fitness and weight loss and love it. Just wanted some feedback on my routine

Monday: pushups (regular, wide, decline), inverted bodyweight rows
    Tuesday: off
    Wednesday: burpees (100 for time)
    Thursday: off
    Friday: burpees
    Saturday: pushups (Hindu, tricep), inverted rows
    Sunday: off

I can only do several dead hang pullups so I do a few sets and then switch to rows. I will add pullups as I get better. I play ice hockey and basketball so I don't do any direct cardio. I also add a few sets of bodyweight leg exercises on Monday and Saturday. What do you guys think? Any advice is helpful as I am fairly new to the calisthenics world

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I would add more variety, I think you would have done that in the future anyway. Push ups are awesome, but they also get old.

Your off days are when you're doing ice hockey/basketball or are they totally off? do you need the time for other stuff? cus while rest is important, you're probably not exerting yourself enough to need a day of total rest. Only if you're sore should you take a full day's rest (assuming you have the time for a workout, that is)

It sounds like you're trying to do full-body stuff when you do work out, which is good. I would structure it like this:

Monday: push ups, pull ups, squats (working up to single leg variations)
    tuesday: off (or sports)
    wednesday: uphill sprints - slowly work yourself up to 10 dashes, it's okay if on your first few outings you don't even get to 5. Do one hard uphill sprint, rest 2-3 minutes and try again. WARM UP THOROUGHLY before starting, do 50 jumping jacks or high knees or anything like that, and a short run as well. Don't neglect sprints, they're great for fat loss.
    thursday: off (you will definitely be sore after sprints)
    Friday: repeat monday (or sports)
    Saturday: repeat monday (or sports) or off
    Sunday: depending on previous day, repeat monday or sports, or off.

Consider also playing with tempo, meaning don't always do your push-ups at the same speed, sometimes go faster, sometimes go slower - do pyramids (1 push up, rest, 2 push ups, rest, etc up to 5 then back down to 1) for all exercises not just push ups.

Learn and begin to practice static holds, such as the plank (relatively easy) to the L-sit (may need push-up handles for this one) read about the planche and the front lever, two really advanced bodyweight holds but that both have progressions that are easier to start on and provide a fun challenge. If you find you're into these, your whole routine might change to give both of these more of your time. Maybe venture into learning how to do a handstand which will require strengthening your shoulders, etc... honestly the world of bodyweight training is very diverse.

Think about investing on a weight vest (though start with a bookbag and some books if money is an issue) for added resistance, think about building a sandbag for a cheap yet awesome tool, make or buy gymnastic rings to attach to your door-frame pull up bar (one of the best tools for upper body development) and of course, take your workout outdoors from time to time! pull ups from a tree branch, lift some rocks, have fun!

Lastly, visit these really helpful sites full of tutorials and ideas for minimalist training: Al Kavadlo – We're Working Out! | We're Working Out!
    Bodyweight Strength Training Beast Skills
    RossTraining.com Blog
    Gymnastic Bodies | Worldwide Fitness Community
    Last edited by iniQuity; 11-07-2012 at 05:06 PM.

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    VietnamGimp's 1st post from Nov 2012:

Quote Originally Posted by VietnamGump View Post
    Hey guys. First post here. I am 21 years old and a full time student with a part time job. I used to be 170lbs and in shape but am now 200lbs and out of shape. Getting to the gym is just difficult. I have started doing calisthenics only for general fitness and weight loss and love it. Just wanted some feedback on my routine

Monday: pushups (regular, wide, decline), inverted bodyweight rows
    Tuesday: off
    Wednesday: burpees (100 for time)
    Thursday: off
    Friday: burpees
    Saturday: pushups (Hindu, tricep), inverted rows
    Sunday: off

I can only do several dead hang pullups so I do a few sets and then switch to rows. I will add pullups as I get better. I play ice hockey and basketball so I don't do any direct cardio. I also add a few sets of bodyweight leg exercises on Monday and Saturday. What do you guys think? Any advice is helpful as I am fairly new to the calisthenics world
    Iniquity gave an outstanding and lengthy reply to which there was no response. In fact, this thread is the OP's 1st post since then.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/