Thread: recovery from surgery, and fruit page

jakey is offline Senior Member

recovery from surgery, and fruit

Primal Fuel
    hey all! so last friday, i had an inguinal hernia repair - a relatively minor surgery, but a surgery nonetheless, and a painful one. can't wait to get back to the gym, and to get back to moving around in general, but i'm taking it slow...

anyhow, i wanted to put a post up about recovery foods, and listening to your body. i eat carbs, i eat fruit, i count nothing. i'm closer to a paul jaminet style perfect health diet than anything else. but since my surgery, i've been craving fruit, craving it so distinctly - as opposed to starch - that i went ahead and listened to my body and have been eating it like a mad man. and i'm recovering nicely and feeling great! just haven't craved sweet potatoes or potatoes or white rice, which i normally include as staples in my diet; but bananas, oranges and grapes have been calling to me in my sleep.

i've been eating tons of eggs, chicken livers, coconut oil, berries, bananas, oranges, grapes and apples. basically living off that stuff! it's all i'm hungry for, so i've gone with it, and by all accounts, i'm healing really quickly. i'm only thirty and in great shape, which helps, but my surgeon was blown away by the fact that i could do 10 air squats on monday, and i can walk perfectly normally at this point, and do overhead squats holding a broom stick.

so the lesson is - if you're in tune with your body - listen to it! if it wants teh evil fruktohze, give it to it.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Aren't you afraid you're going to gain 5 pounds??????

I had surgery years before and didn't crave anything. When I'm sick, however, sometimes the body just wants carbs. I've never craved protein or fat, just the sugary stuff.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Well done. Good for you. I used to be afraid of the "insulin spiking carbs", but i no longer am. I've been having few daily servings of fruit and/or starch for a while and I'm stlll maintaining my weight loss just fine.

Kelmar is online now Senior Member
    Happy to hear you are feeling better! I think listening to your body was the right thing to do, sure sounds like it. I also ain't afraid of no fruit

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    The inflammatory properties of fructose can be put to good use in fighting infection and trauma from surgery. That's what inflammation is for. Last week I helped heal my first cold in 18 months since going primal by eating more fructose, mostly in the form of apples and honey.

Also, a couple of weeks prior to that I helped my elderly pet bunny make a remarkable recovery from an eye infection by feeding him copious amounts of dried apricots. The vet was amazed at his recovery.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

jakey is offline Senior Member
    thanks for the kind words, yall! paleo-bunny, interesting take on the subject... was my body craving assistance in the inflammatory process? maybe it was. didn't think of that angle, although i'm not entirely convinced that fructose is inflammatory in an isocaloric diet. i vacillate.

anyhow, here's to the recovery of both me and your elderly pet bunny!

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    thanks for the kind words, yall! paleo-bunny, interesting take on the subject... was my body craving assistance in the inflammatory process? maybe it was. didn't think of that angle, although i'm not entirely convinced that fructose is inflammatory in an isocaloric diet. i vacillate.

anyhow, here's to the recovery of both me and your elderly pet bunny!
    Fructose is inflammatory in any diet. It's not context-specific. Same as an other nutrient its inflammatory factor is absolute. Fructose is around 100 times as inflammatory as glucose.

Yay - best wishes for a speedy recovery for you (bunny is doing fine thanks).
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.