Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions about weight gain, and do I have to stuff myself? page

campanella is offline Senior Member

Questions about weight gain, and do I have to stuff myself?

Primal Fuel
    I should gain about 5 lbs.
    If I eat until full at every meal, I maintain the same weight. I don't want to do protein shakes or powders or pills. If I want to gain some weight, do I have to stuff myself and eat until bloated? It seems like that's what I have to do to gain weight. Any experience here? Is it unhealthy to stuff myself 4 times a day if it helps me gain? I'm a little underweight, not just trying to be muscley.

Also is a heavy reliance on cheese and unsweetened chocolate ok to gain, or am I better off health wise overeating meat and vegetables and potatoes?

I'm not in a strong state right now, I try to crank out a couple pushups in the morning sometimes, and I walk about 2 miles a day, that's all for exercise.

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Age? Sex? Height? What's an average day of food look like for you?
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Well, I'm 16 and female. 5 feet tall exactly. The last few days I upped my calorie intake about 500 calories. A sample/typical day of recent:

2 small apples, 8 oz yogurt (full fat)
    1 cup potato leek soup, 7 or 8 oz turkey breast w/ skin, 1.5 cups sweet potato plantain soup (fancy, I know)
    1 cup raw carrots
    1 oz of cheese
    2 tablespoons butter (grass fed)
    Half an acorn squash, a huge yam, 2 cups cauliflower, mushrooms in more butter
    4 or 5 oz beef or chicken

Is adding in more butter a good or bad idea?

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Milk is easy and has protein. Wouldn't you like some more cheese? Or some eggs?
    Billie trips balls

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by campanella View Post
    am I better off health wise overeating meat and vegetables and potatoes?
    It's really really hard to overeat on meat and vegetables. I would go for eating pure fat (drinking cream, eating butter, fatty porterhouse steak etc) to increase your calorific intake.

But really, is there a need to do this? This post reads identically to me as the ones from people who need to 'lose the last 5 pounds'. If your body is happy at it's current set point and you are healthy, why not be happy with how you are?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    OR start lifting, you'll most likely get hungier and eat more and gain muscle weight
    Billie trips balls

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Yes, eat past fullness. I get full from a few bites so I've taught myself to overeat. It worked when I was a skinny teen. Eat butter and avocados and energy-dense foods. How much do you weigh?
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

I weigh about 75 lbs right now. I said I should gain 5 lbs, but I'd be fine with 10. I'm just trying to do baby steps. It's not as severe as it may sound because genetically I am small boned, lightweight, my mom is 90 something lbs at 5 ft and doctors agree she is perfectly healthy.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    I would also agree, lift weights. That will make you hungrier and help you build muscle.

I personally am not a huge fan of telling someone to overly stuff themselves at every meal, no matter what size they are. I mean, if you're full, you're full. I don't think it's healthy to constantly force yourself to overeat. Just eat foods that are more calorie dense, lots of fat and lots of meat.

EyeOfRound is offline Senior Member
    You eat about as much as I do to maintain - and I'm fairly heavy at 145 lbs. You'll have to up your calories further; like others suggested, drinking more calories and consuming more fat will help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast