Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cream page

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member

Cream

Shop Now
    Is cream fairly low in lactose? Reason I'm asking is that I suspect I may be slightly lactose intolerant due to reactions I have got from milk before I stopped drinking it. I've never had a reaction from cream though. I do like to have a spot of cream with my morning coffee. Hardly any, just a quick dash. I also like to have it with berries sometimes. I'm just wondering if I should give it up really. Also, how much casein does it contain? Thanks.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Heavy cream is about 3% lactose, while whole milk is about 5%.

and

1/2 cup heavy cream contains 3 grams lactose, while 1/2 cup of 1-2% milk contains about 5.5 grams lactose.
    Last edited by BarbeyGirl; 04-09-2010 at 02:56 PM.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

That's still quite a lot, isn't it.
    Fruit and starch free.

verdilak is offline Member
    I have found that I am lactose intolerant to the more liquid types of dairy, like milk, cream, and yogurt. Cheeses I can handle well if I eat small amounts and only if they are with protein, never by themselves. Which sucks, because I love cheese and yogurt. Oh well, my body is telling me something and it is up to me to listen.
    Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
    Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
    I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    If you are lactose intolerant I would avoid cream except for on special occasions. It's a bummer, but there is a lot you can do with coconut milk.

ZoŽ is offline Senior Member
    Oh, and It contains a little bit of casein, too. You might be okay on the lactose with eating 'European' cultured butter, since is fermented a bit.

Yeah I think you're right, Zoe. I'll try to stick to coconut from now on.
    Fruit and starch free.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I started taking those Lactaid chewable pills before I eat or drink dairy products. They work great! I have no issues at all with milk or dairy of any kind anymore. However, now that I am on PB, I rarely consume dairy other than butter and heavy cream. Heavy cream seems to have no effect on me.

Magouch is offline Junior Member
    You could try creme fraiche. It's basically heavy cream fermented with the same cultures as yogurt... a cream yogurt, if you will. It's very good with berries. I also take a spoonful if I'm hungry but dinner's not quite ready yet. I don't think it'd work in coffee, though. You might try raw cream if you can get it where you are. Some folks do better on raw milk and cream, particularly if it's a casein issue as opposed to a lactose issue. I just had two quarts delivered from a local farm yesterday. Made creme fraiche from one quart and have the other to put in coffee, etc. It's absolutely divine. You can almost taste the grass!

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    man i tell you what- my first move wen i get married is to a place i have access to some damn good food..including raw dairy, grassfed meat...farmers markets..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast